What would you like to see next from Byrd?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: What would you like to see next from Byrd?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal, I want to see a Byrd fixed blade in BD1N or Sandvik of some kind.

A Byrd along the lines of the old Caspian Salt.

That knife is genius, sal.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

sal wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:31 am
9Cr has .9 carbon, D2 has 1.6 carbon. 9cr is not a D2.

sal
9% carbon isnt that alot? So i guess this steel is more like the steel from an old fashion opinel ? :confused: :)
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I think it's .9%
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

sal wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:31 am
9Cr has .9 carbon, D2 has 1.6 carbon. 9cr is not a D2.

sal
no, sorry, what I meant is that you have 9Cr as an upgrade to 8Cr,
and you also have D2 in its Chinese version (which seems to differ minimally from the EU/US specifications and requirements for D2) :o which could be seen as an upgrade to 8Cr

I didn't mean 9Cr and D2 were the same :p
sal

Post by sal »

No Problem. The 9Cr Mule that we made were all slightly warped. The maker's we're using are reluctant to use it. I've not found any of the Chinese D2 that I've heard about. Do you have info?

sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've wondered about the Chinese D2 myself, Sal. Would be interesting if you could get your hands on some and test it or let us in on anything you may find out. Not that I distrust the Chinese or makers over there to any large extent. It just seemed so extremely sudden that Chinese budget knives all started to be offered in D2, save for the knives being produced for American companies like your own.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
sal

Post by sal »

I'll see if we can get some?

sal
apollo

Post by apollo »

sal wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:21 am

sal
That would be awesome.
Let say If the steel is indeed after testing good enough for production in the chinese factory, Would spyderco be interested to use it in let say a sprint run of the Raven or crow 2 and give it a green,blue,or brown, g10? :D
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Apollo,

First we have to see if it exists. Then we have to get some, use it and test it. Then we have to see if our makers can get it and process it. Then we have to see the cost. Keep in mind that the Polestar and Alcyone were 30% more expensive to build because of the steel and the market is balking. :confused:

sal
rivy

Post by rivy »

sal wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:45 pm
Hi Apollo,

First we have to see if it exists. Then we have to get some, use it and test it. Then we have to see if our makers can get it and process it. Then we have to see the cost. Keep in mind that the Polestar and Alcyone were 30% more expensive to build because of the steel and the market is balking. :confused:

sal
Sal, the prices on the raven 2 and crow 2 are both at great price points, are you guys just taking a lower margin on them due to the BD1?
Ryan
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

sal wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:21 am

sal
It would be cool if you did and let people know what's going on with that. Not that I personally am advocating a switch. Bd1 is where it's at.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:59 pm
No Problem. The 9Cr Mule that we made were all slightly warped. The maker's we're using are reluctant to use it. I've not found any of the Chinese D2 that I've heard about. Do you have info?

sal
Well, Sal, I don't know much and I am not a metallurgist but these are quotes from different threads on Bladeforums that could be informative in finding the "Chinese D2":

"For example, K110 and CR12Mov, both which are called “D2” in their respective countries."
"Sure, they make AISI D2 in China, but the MAJORITY of the steel sold as D2 over there is the Cr12MoV, as it lacks the Vanadium and is cheaper to produce."
"Okay, today I got a confirmation from WE knives that their D2 steel contains 0.585% Vanadium"

and here's a list of equivalents, below the graph (clicking on "proprietary equivalents" to expand):

http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/st ... .php?nm=d2

sorry I can't be of more help :(
sal

Post by sal »

Hi, Thanx for the help, but I have a pretty good idea of what's going on in the world of blade steels. At this time, I don't think that anyone in China makes a blade steel quality D2. We are checking with out sources in China. Even if we get a "yes", I'll still need to get a sample, test the sample, do an analysis of the sample. And then make my decisions.

When we first began making knives in China, we asked what was the best blade steel available in China. They said 440C. We ordered our first knives in 440C. When they came in, the knives were marked 440C, but analysis revealed a different chemistry. In fact there was nothing made in China at the time with 16-18% chrome. in other words, no 440 (A,B or C). That's how we ended up putting 8Cr13MoV on the knives. Then all of the other knife manufacturers that were marking their knives 440 had to change. I don't think I was very popular at the time.

They will mark any steel you want them to and they will also mark any country of origin that you want them to. So let's do our homework, and I like to do my own.

sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Sal's about to throw open the curtains on the knife industry again, guys.
sal

Post by sal »

Not trying to open any curtains. Just making sure that what we provide to our customers is what we say it is.

sal
apollo

Post by apollo »

sal wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:30 pm

They will mark any steel you want them to and they will also mark any country of origin that you want them to. So let's do our homework, and I like to do my own.

sal
Hi Sal is this still as big of a problem as let us say 5 years ago?
The 1st time i went to the amsterdam meet you explained alot about it. But i wonder now that more and more company's have knives coming from china they would be more honest about there creations?
Or is this something that will always be part of the chinese industrie?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

And here i was, thinking i was a cynical tin foil hat for suspecting the Chinese to label after demand rather than content.. :)
In the interest of shiny footprints i kinda kept it among friends.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
gac

Post by gac »

It is so freaking nice having Sal 's comments here. I was raring to buy a "D2" knife from WE and backed off.

And, AND, how did I miss the announcement of the Bow River?! I've been spending lots of time researching fixed blades for camping/bushcraft and now I know what to get. I can add a Scandi grind Mora and be set for less than $50.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

A byrd Wharncliffe with a choil, in bd1 please.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Ngati Pom wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:12 am
A byrd Wharncliffe with a choil, in bd1 please.
I’m not set on a choil, depends on the design, but a small, light Wharncliffe of 2” to 2.5” in BD1N would be super. Maybe in gray or tan.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation