Bolsters or Adjustable Pivot

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

Bolsters or Adjustable Pivot

Post by knivesandbooks »

I do not try to hide that I love traditional knives just as much as I love my Spydies. I love the high performance and comfort of my Spydies but I also love the warmth, charm, ritual of use, and history of traditionals--largely those produced by GEC. I know that Spyderco has made bolstered models in the past, models that were constructed more similarly to traditionals. Peened pivots, bolstered, etc. I love models like this. Even if they can't be adjusted or taken apart, the fact that special care was taken to fit the bolsters and handle material seamlessly, and to fit that perfectly with the liner, and that to the backspacer, etc. My question is, how many of you will still buy knives that don't have an adjustable pivot or that have bolsters? A true bolster will mean a peened pivot and a weight handicap. To me, I don't mind and hope Spyderco will occasionally return to making some dressy models like this.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
ZrowsN1s

Re: Bolsters or Adjustable Pivot

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I would be all in for a run of Micro Dyads. Jigged Bone, mother of pearl, or something nice.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Old school Persians for me, another run of these would be great.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

How about a special bolstered Urban with canvas Micarta scales and 52100 steel?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I do like and enjoy the looks and feel of folding knives with bolsters and pivot pins. The old Spyderco Persian is a wonderful and beautiful example. And, I still EDC a Buck 110 Folding Hunter.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
ZeroRange

Post by ZeroRange »

farnorthdan wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:52 am
Old school Persians for me, another run of these would be great.

This was my first Spydie when I was 14. I still have it and love it to death. Another run would be fantastic but instead of black micarta it would be cool to see a Raffir Noble or bone/stag version.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd love to see Spyderco offer one or more pinned and bolstered midlocks. I've had screw pivots loosen just from repeated openings and closings but I've never had a pinned pivot develop blade play.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:17 am
I would be all in for a run of Micro Dyads. Jigged Bone, mother of pearl, or something nice.
I would love to have one I could actually use. I have a black pearl one and I can't bring myself to use it.

I love a good bolster, but why can't it have an adjustable pivot too?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I fear that the maker might no longer posses the capability to recreate those old bolstered models.

I certainly wouldn’t want all of my knives to have bolsters, but I do love me some bolsters.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I love adjustable pivots and the ability to tinker as much as the next knife guy, but I too share your love for bolstered and peened traditional style knives. The Damascus Caly 3, Kiwi, Kopa and Persian models being my favorites.

The idea of a bolstered Manix BL gives me a huge grin. Zebra damascus and smooth bone handles?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

It is a little sad that the market for these knives has moved away a bit. With models like the Persian and Kopa you got something no other brand does. Now to get something like these knives you have to go traditional.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!