Smaller chokwe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
captnvegtble

Re: Smaller chokwe

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:32 pm
Hi Sumdumguy,

Thanx for the kind words. We're still making steel selections.

Hi Ric,

No plans to make it a flipper.

sal
Construction with compression lock, wire clip, and carbon fiber Sounds amazing, thanks Sal!
I would put in a plug for Rex45, Hap40 or M4 as the blade steel.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

This is sounding better and better!

I'm wondering if it might be nice in s90v...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Maybe a cf like the original rubicon with a compressionlock and a blade of S90v made in thaichung?

And a maybe there is a possibility for a second budget version made in golden or even the china factory in green g-10 with Bd1 on top of the collecters premium one?
sal

Post by sal »

Curly,

We probably would not use S90V coming out of the Chute. S90V is a steel junky's material and we need to try to reach a more general market. Considerations might include, CTS-BD1N, LC200, CPM-S30V, CPM-154, etc. A stainless steel, not too hard to sharpen, takes and holds a good edge.

Hi Apollo,

It' not practical to tool up in more than one place for a model.Tooling is quite expensive and must be amortized over many pieces for sometimes years.

sal
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

sal wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:15 pm
Curly,

We probably would not use S90V coming out of the Chute. S90V is a steel junky's material and we need to try to reach a more general market. Considerations might include, CTS-BD1N, LC200, CPM-S30V, CPM-154, etc. A stainless steel, not too hard to sharpen, takes and holds a good edge.

Hi Apollo,

It' not practical to tool up in more than one place for a model.Tooling is quite expensive and must be amortized over many pieces for sometimes years.

sal
Thanks for the small lesson Sal. It does however give me a little question about tooling. Is making the tooling for all the spyderco manufactureres the same? or does every factory make there own Tooling? :)

Lc200 sounds good. I never handled a knife with that steel at this point. :)
sal

Post by sal »

Each vendor makes their own tooling for a model. They are not easily used by another vendor so moving tooling is rare and difficult. If we do move a model from one vendor to another or one country to another, we usually have to make new tooling. If it's a new model, tooling can be up to $25K depending on where it's made. We've had a few models go over that.

eg; for the SpydeRench, we tooled up in the US, Taiwan and China and still couldn't make the model to our quality standards at a competitive price. Lost our shirts & pants on that one.

sal
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:
Curly,

If it needs to be stainless, I would vote for CPM-S30V or CPM-154. I've never tried LC200. I'm not a fan of CTS-BD1N.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Looking forward to this one! Any of those steels sound great to me.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

sal wrote:
Curly,

Thanks for the insight, Sal!

I'd be happy with any of those, but I think I'd especially like to see LC200N or s30v.

This is creeping to the top of my "most anticipated" list!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

sal wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:26 pm
eg; for the SpydeRench, we tooled up in the US, Taiwan and China and still couldn't make the model to our quality standards at a competitive price. Lost our shirts & pants on that one.
sal
What about the ByrdWrench? I am kicking myself for missing that one.
sal

Post by sal »

Quality not there and price too high.

sal
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I'd rather not see S30V used. I'd prefer CTS-BD1N or CPM-154 if it has to be stainless. Added bonus to that steel is that hopefully it would keep the price lower. If you were taking requests I'd like CTS-XHP.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Halfneck wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:18 pm
I'd rather not see S30V used. I'd prefer CTS-BD1N or CPM-154 if it has to be stainless. Added bonus to that steel is that hopefully it would keep the price lower. If you were taking requests I'd like CTS-XHP.
Those are good suggestions for stainless.
My preference is still cruwear :) Sharpens relatively easily, no major corrosion issues, tough enough to support thin edges and fine points.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'm down for S30v or XHP all day. Preferrably XHP.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

captnvegtble wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:30 pm
If it needs to be stainless, I would vote for CPM-S30V or CPM-154. I've never tried LC200. I'm not a fan of CTS-BD1N.
Have you tried BD1N? I’m not a fan of BD1, but all accounts of BD1N have been pretty favorable.
I’m really looking forward to trying it. Just need to find one of the ukpk’s that been upgraded.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

SF Native wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:24 pm
captnvegtble wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:30 pm
Have you tried BD1N? I’m not a fan of BD1, but all accounts of BD1N have been pretty favorable.
I’m really looking forward to trying it. Just need to find one of the ukpk’s that been upgraded.
hmmmm... maybe I'm getting them confused. I'll have to look up BD1N.
rivy

Post by rivy »

sal wrote:
Curly,

Hi Apollo,

sal
LC200 would be awesome!
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Lc200n would be amazing. I find the knives I own in it to be great. The edge holding is plenty sufficient and it doesn't rust.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam