CPM Rex 45 Para 2 !!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
attila

Re: CPM Rex 45 Para 2 !!

Post by attila »

In contrast, I've had great success with Knifecenter's preorder process. I only use them as a backup anymore, however, ever since I found out about the opfocus program last year.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

attila wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:28 pm
In contrast, I've had great success with Knifecenter's preorder process. I only use them as a backup anymore, however, ever since I found out about the opfocus program last year.
Yes, I know people who have had success with KC. Please explain to me what the opfocus program is, thanks.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
lunde

Post by lunde »

holeshot wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:37 pm
attila wrote:
Yes, I know people who have had success with KC. Please explain to me what the opfocus program is, thanks.
See their OpFocus program page. Basically, if you are active-duty military, a veteran, or a first responder, you qualify for a 50% discount off MSRP. This doesn't apply to exclusives, but works for regular production runs and sprints, such as this one. If the knife is available for purchase direct from Spyderco, the discount applies. And, as long as your order is $150 or above, the free shipping applies. I snagged two of these through the OpFocus program, and they'll get to me on Tuesday. Many thanks to the fine people at Spyderco for offering this program.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

You guys that placed a pre-order with KC on 5/31 and are complaining that you haven't heard anything need to have a little patience. If I'm remembering correctly, shortly after the mid-year catalog came out, KC opened up pre-orders for several models in the late afternoon-evening of 5/30. Based on my experience, if you placed an order on 5/31, I'd feel pretty confident that I'd be getting a knife. I've placed a whole bunch of pre-orders for desirable models with KC and other dealers and I've never not received my order. I know how you feel because I've been there. I've had pre-orders with a dealer then became impatient and found the knife available elsewhere and ordered because I was worried about my pre-order being filled. Then I ended with two because I didn't cancel my pre-order in time. I have an extra Caly 3 HAP40 sitting in my safe because that. Had an extra Para 3 when they were first released too.

The way I look at it, providing you place your order early enough in the process, you're pre-ordering to increase the likelihood that you'll get a desirable knife. If you're expecting to be the first kid on the block to receive a popular model then you're approaching it wrong. You should be doing your homework and watching these threads as well as all the various dealers for the item to become available. If there's a knife coming out that you really want be proactive. Go ahead and place your pre-order (the earlier the better) but then also actively seek and order one from another dealer when they start to drop. I just did this with the V-TOKU 2 Delica. I'm confident I wouldn't received my order from KC. But I found one elsewhere, so I cancelled with KC the next day so someone else can get one.

Like a lot of things in life, there are no guarantees. Definitely not with pre-orders. If you want a model really bad then put a little effort into it and do everthing you can to secure it. Don't rely on a pre-order process you have no control over. Make it happen yourself. And for Pete's sake, stop whinging over a knife. I know it's frustrating but it's only a knife afterall. I assure you, there'll be plenty of other cool sprints coming.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

Thanks Sharp Guy,
Was not my intention to whine. I know I could make more efforts at securing the knife. Was just looking to share some of the anticipation that we all seem to have when we are excited about a new offering.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

lunde wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:46 pm
holeshot wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:37 pm
attila wrote:
See their OpFocus program page. Basically, if you are active-duty military, a veteran, or a first responder, you qualify for a 50% discount off MSRP. This doesn't apply to exclusives, but works for regular production runs and sprints, such as this one. If the knife is available for purchase direct from Spyderco, the

discount applies. And, as long as your order is $150 or above, the free shipping applies. I snagged two of these through the OpFocus program, and they'll get to me on Tuesday. Many thanks to the fine people at Spyderco for offering this program.
Thanks!
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Made a pilgrimage to the promised land this afternoon. :D Not to rub it in, but I got one of the last 3 of these that they had in stock at the SFO, and watched another go out the door as well, so they only had 1 more as of about 3pm today. All of the last 3 in stock were unclaimed, numbered collector's club blades. That'll do pig, that'll do. :cool: :spyder:
IMG_2801.jpg
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I think everyone just panics, especially when they see others are having their knife shipped. In reality, everyone on this forum is a knife nut and will know or hear when a new batch is in...look how often and quickly this thread has been updated. As the great Aaron Rodgers said "R-E-L-A-X" you'll all get one sooner or later, doesn't need to be the first 2 days it's been released!
fatsubie

Post by fatsubie »

Maybe second batch is imminent. My preorder with KC on 5/31 at 9am hasn’t been fulfilled too.
Raymond3

Post by Raymond3 »

Could anyone tell me how many of the PM2 in Rex 45 are going to be made?
Thank you.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’m really wanting one of these now!!
Josh
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Raymond3 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:46 pm
Could anyone tell me how many of the PM2 in Rex 45 are going to be made?
Thank you.
Sprints are usually 1200,

Recieved my GPK order yesterday, as usual this run seems to be on par with recent sprints, perfect all the way around.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Just arrived! Really enjoying the orange, pictures make it look much more orange than it is. It's still definitely orange, but its a fall orange, almost brown. LOVE IT!

Now to begin the patina!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Yes! Very interested in if/how this steel forms a patina. Been worried everyone will baby this one, glad you're ready to put it to use. Please update in this thread!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Just cut open a 40lb Charleston Grey with it!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

image.jpeg
Well, what pleasant surprise! Mine was scheduled for delivery on Monday but low and behold she came today! Very cool and beautiful. I now have two PM2s with orange scales. :)
Raymond3

CPM Rex 45 Para 2 Factory Edge review

Post by Raymond3 »

Here is my initial review of the edge that came on my Rex45 Para2 in today's mail.

First: when I saw it, I didn't go immediately "YUCK" and decide to either sell it or promptly give it an adequate edge. Ok, I freely admit, I am one of those Edge Junkies that are joked about.

So, upon initial edge review here is what I observed: The apex is clean with no chipping visible under a 4 power magnifying glass. The cutting edge profile and cutting bevels are quite even along the full length of both sides of the blade. The angle of the bevel appears the same on both sides of the knife. The grind marks are exceptionally even, even at the difficult tip and ricasso areas. In addition, the grind marks do not show the common signs of chatter (but those usually show up best during the first stropping/sharpening). The main bevel grit used seems finer than often found on normal PM2s, being approximately 30/40 micron in size. That is probably due to some combination of either a finer final grit being used, or a gentler touch by the grinder. The edge has a touch-up ultra-micro-bevel that fairly evenly covers the length of the cutting edge. In addition, the angle of the micro-bevel is only about 2 degrees greater than the bevel, which is wonderful. It is probably that final process that also gently polished the blade/bevel shoulder. All together a wonderful job!

Other than two custom Japanese kitchen knives(one in Hap 40, the other one in PS60) , I think that this Sprint PM2 in CPM Rex45 is the sharpest factory edge that I have ever received. It actually (barely) splits my wife's dry ultra-fine hair, which is way sharper than shaving sharp.

My favorite kitchen knifes are in Hitachi Hap 40, so I am looking forward to putting this knife into use!

Sal , Someone in management deserves thanks for devising the final sharpening process of this batch of Sprints, and someone also deserves praise for a very craftsman-like job for carrying the out sharpening process!

Thank you very much!
Last edited by Raymond3 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:33 pm
You guys that placed a pre-order with KC on 5/31 and are complaining that you haven't heard anything need to have a little patience. If I'm remembering correctly, shortly after the mid-year catalog came out, KC opened up pre-orders for several models in the late afternoon-evening of 5/30. Based on my experience, if you placed an order on 5/31, I'd feel pretty confident that I'd be getting a knife. I've placed a whole bunch of pre-orders for desirable models with KC and other dealers and I've never not received my order. I know how you feel because I've been there. I've had pre-orders with a dealer then became impatient and found the knife available elsewhere and ordered because I was worried about my pre-order being filled. Then I ended with two because I didn't cancel my pre-order in time. I have an extra Caly 3 HAP40 sitting in my safe because that. Had an extra Para 3 when they were first released too.

The way I look at it, providing you place your order early enough in the process, you're pre-ordering to increase the likelihood that you'll get a desirable knife. If you're expecting to be the first kid on the block to receive a popular model then you're approaching it wrong. You should be doing your homework and watching these threads as well as all the various dealers for the item to become available. If there's a knife coming out that you really want be proactive. Go ahead and place your pre-order (the earlier the better) but then also actively seek and order one from another dealer when they start to drop. I just did this with the V-TOKU 2 Delica. I'm confident I wouldn't received my order from KC. But I found one elsewhere, so I cancelled with KC the next day so someone else can get one.

Like a lot of things in life, there are no guarantees. Definitely not with pre-orders. If you want a model really bad then put a little effort into it and do everthing you can to secure it. Don't rely on a pre-order process you have no control over. Make it happen yourself. And for Pete's sake, stop whinging over a knife. I know it's frustrating but it's only a knife afterall. I assure you, there'll be plenty of other cool sprints coming.
Im thinking my pre order on 2nd July too late ....I ordered as soon as I found out. Very frustrating as being on the other side of the planet makes it hard enough. Thought I had my bases covered with the pre order AND multiple subscriptions/notifications to various stores but NOT one came through!
holeshot

Re: CPM Rex 45 Para 2 Factory Edge review

Post by holeshot »

Raymond3 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:00 pm

Here is my initial review of the edge that came on my Rex45 Para2 in today's mail.

First: when I saw it, I didn't go immediately "YUCK" and decide to either sell it or promptly give it an adequate edge. Ok, I freely admit, I am one of those Edge Junkies that are joked about.

So, upon initial edge review here is what I observed: The apex is clean with no chipping visible under a 4 power magnifying glass. The cutting edge profile and cutting bevels are quite even along the full length of both sides of the blade. The angle of the bevel appears the same on both sides of the knife. The grind marks are exceptionally even, even at the difficult tip and ricasso areas. In addition, the grind marks do not show the common signs of chatter (but those usually show up best during the first stropping/sharpening). The main bevel grit used seems finer than often found on normal PM2s, being approximately 30/40 micron in size. That is probably due to some combination of either a finer final grit being used, or a gentler touch by the grinder. The edge has a touch-up ultra-micro-bevel that fairly evenly covers the length of the cutting edge. In addition, the angle of the micro-bevel is only about 2 degrees greater than the bevel, which is wonderful. It is probably that final process that also gently polished the blade/bevel shoulder. All together a wonderful job!

Other than two custom Japanese kitchen knives(one in Hap 40, the other one in PS60) , I think that this Sprint PM2 in CPM Rex45 is the sharpest factory edge that I have ever received. It actually (barely) splits my wife's dry ultra-fine hair, which is way sharper than shaving sharp.

My favorite kitchen knifes are in Hitachi Hap 40, so I am looking forward to putting this knife into use!

Sal , Someone in management deserves thanks for devising the final sharpening process of this batch of Sprints, and some also deserves praise for a very craftsman-like job for carrying the out sharpening process!

Thank you very much!
R3, awesome review! Man, I wish you were my neighbor I'd pay you to sharpen all my knives! :spyder:
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I noticed a lot of websites went out of stock before they even showed up on the New Arrivals page.
You really had to search for them.