Shipping of internal parts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Post by The Meat man »

jpm2 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:13 am

The other questions were:
What model do you have?
What variation do you have?
Do you have a counterfeit?
I'd say it's the customer's responsibility to know what model/variation he has, and then Spyderco ships the parts requested. It's the customer's responsibility to get the model correct. Obviously, Spyderco cannot be responsible for determining what model/variation a customer owns. Same goes for counterfeits: Spyderco obviously can't be responsible for remotely determining whether someone's knife is a counterfeit or not. Why should they? The counterfeits are not under Spyderco warranty, nor is it Spyderco's responsibility to prevent people from procuring counterfeits, which would be impossible anyway.
The issue seems pretty cut and dried to me. Buyers request specific model/variation parts, pays for them, and Spyderco sends the parts requested.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

So realistically what’s the chance of getting this sort of thing available or an upgrade kit for early flippers?
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Tims wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:38 pm
I recieved a package from Benchmade today in response to a request for a deep carry clip and 2 phosphur bronze washers.

They sent me 2 clips(black and polished) with 2 sets of screws to match and 3 washers. Free, no questions asked to Australia.
I got the same service, obviously these costs are built into the knives but it’s nice to feel like they have your back on that sort of thing.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I'd like to be able to buy Delica and Endura springs.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:40 pm
I think that 30-40 new models per year plus CQI significantly adds many parts. It's much easier to have available parts if models are not changed through CQI. So which is more valuable to you, CQI and many new models or consistent parts over the years?
This is a catch 22 for me. I'm a knife enthusiast in general, but not a brand specific collector. Spyderco appeals to me because of the variety of designs which you offer. CQI is a similar issue: I like the idea of it, but if you're constantly changing parts throughout the production of a knife how does Spyderco even manage to keep a reasonable supply of spares on hand for internal use, much less be able to sell common replacement spares to customers? Personally, I'd prefer you only make changes if they're needed to address a significant flaw, and save the incremental improvements of CQI to applied all at once to the next generation of the knife. I'd prefer you do that to ensure long term serviceability of the knives.
We have a large variety in size of models as well. Many knives from makers in many countries. The use the screws available to them. Hard to standardize screws under those circumstances?
I'm not an engineer, so perhaps you can clarify this for me. My understanding is that machine screws in the US and Canada fall under the AMSE/ANSI unified thread standard, and that everywhere else in the world they fall under the ISO metric screw thread standard 68-1. Mt understanding is that both standards use an identical 60 degree thread profile. From what I've read smaller screws are generally sized in .2mm or half mm outer diameter increments, and larger screws are sized in whole mm OD increments. ISO 261 and 262 even list preferred thread pitch and diameter combinations. The ISO standards also list standard head shapes and sizes. So, other than screw length, it seems to me that there is already a standard framework in place for screw sizes. How different is a 5mm long, 2mm diameter, .4mm thread pitch, button head cap, T6 drive screw in Japan, China, and Taiwan? For further standardization, could the Golden, CO plant switch to metric screws if they don't already use them? I would think that using the ISO 68-1 and 261/262 standards would be of great benefit in streamlining both initial manufacturing and replacement screw supplies. At least that way even if you're out of screws for a particular model the end user could call up Fastenal - or their country's equivalent distributor - and be able to ask for screws that fall within a size standard.

I also realize that I could be completely wrong about this, so please correct my ignorance if this is the case.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Not sure if this was posted or not didn't see it anyway but just noticed it on the website

C165KITBK AUTONOMY SPRING REPLACEMENT KIT (BLACK)

One of the most remarkable features of Spyderco’s award-winning Autonomy automatic knife is its removable spring module. This patented feature allows the knife’s kick spring to be serviced or replaced without having to disassemble the entire knife.

This kit contains all the parts and tools necessary to replace the coil kick spring of the black Autonomy automatic knife, including a module wrench, protective blade guard, Torx wrench, two replacement kick springs, thread-locking compound, a spare black-coated pivot screw, and step-by-step illustrated instructions.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... Black/1054
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Good find! I'm not carrying or using autos, but it's great knowing that Spyderco has gone the extra step here.
[Maybe a sign of more spare parts to come in future, but more likely just a sign that they bought a whole bunch of these less-common parts so they could have easily-shipped inventory for a while.]
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

So, what's Sal's decision on shipping internal parts?... Screws, washers? 🤔
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

AlexRus wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:29 pm
So, what's Sal's decision on shipping internal parts?... Screws, washers? 🤔
Unknown. It’s a complex issue so it will take some time.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SCBaldr

Post by SCBaldr »

I bought a used Sypderco Endura 4 in ZDP-189 off the Reddit forum R/Knife_swap. Two of the clip screw thread holes are stripped out, so I'll need the whole liner. I'm Happy to pay whatever that might cost. As for why I took the knife apart in the first place. Its because I'm going to darken the blade and locking bar metal finish with acid, neitralize the acid, then im going to brasswash for a dark gold acid wash finish. I never had any expectation of warranty support for this knife, but being able to buy the liner sure would be great. Otherwise I have to fill the holes with epoxy, cure it, drill it, and then re-tap it for the 2-56 size screws.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

SCBaldr wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 3:37 am
I bought a used Sypderco Endura 4 in ZDP-189 off the Reddit forum R/Knife_swap. Two of the clip screw thread holes are stripped out, so I'll need the whole liner. I'm Happy to pay whatever that might cost. As for why I took the knife apart in the first place. Its because I'm going to darken the blade and locking bar metal finish with acid, neitralize the acid, then im going to brasswash for a dark gold acid wash finish. I never had any expectation of warranty support for this knife, but being able to buy the liner sure would be great. Otherwise I have to fill the holes with epoxy, cure it, drill it, and then re-tap it for the 2-56 size screws.
Could you get brass (or other metal) thread inserts from a knife making supplier or a place like Fastenal, and epoxy those into the handle scale holes in the original clip screw hole positions?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I wonder if he could re-thread the liners with a tap if he could find some screws that are EVER SO SLIGHTLY larger. Could be a worthy investment.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SCBaldr wrote:

I'm fairly certain the liners are not handed and that both a drilled and tapped for the clip screws. Why not just use the other one on the clip side?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SCBaldr

Post by SCBaldr »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:04 am
SCBaldr wrote:

I'm fairly certain the liners are not handed and that both a drilled and tapped for the clip screws. Why not just use the other one on the clip side?
This is an excellent idea.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Any official news from Spyderco on the point of the discussion? ...
Smeadism

Post by Smeadism »

I'd be just down for pivot screws and Handle screws, as Australia is a long way from Golden
Spyderco Shaman, Lil Native & Rescue 79mm Orange handle (work knife)
waiting ever so patiently for the McBee to come out
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Smeadism wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:42 pm
I'd be just down for pivot screws and Handle screws, as Australia is a long way from Golden
Agreed! I'm not from Australia, but my country is a long way from Golden too.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I was thinking the other day actually, do you guys remember in the old days when in the back of comics there where adds for **** that didn’t work like spy gear and x-ray glasses.
The current spyderco warranty/need something new that you are willing to pay for system is just like that.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

When you run over a dead cat it just gets flatter.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Crux

Post by Crux »

Why so many comments? They ain't gonna do it.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: