Your Delica 5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eli Chaps

Your Delica 5

Post by Eli Chaps »

What would your next generation Delica look like?

For me it would:

1. Have a wire clip - Not only do I prefer the wire clip for scratch avoidance and such but the end of the current clip creates a bit of a hot spot for me. I don't care about deep carry.

2. No finger bumps in the handle. Maybe make it a touch taller, or not, but lose the finger bumps/grooves.

3. Extend the back of the handle maybe .25"

I reckon the pending Kapara is close in general design concept to what I'm thinking if that helps with visuals.

We're not talking about designing a new knife here, just evolving what is already there.

What say you all?
Sharp Guy

Re: Your Delica 5

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Delica 4 fits my hand just fine. So change in ergos needed for me. But I would like to see the wire clip used on the FRN models.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd like to see the tip not be rounded, and new ergos. If the finger grooves were shaped different, I could fit my hand on the knife. As it is, I can't. The first groove isn't big enough for both my index and middle finger, and the pinky groove is excessively large.

With the Delica 3 and 4, and Endura 3 and 4, the first groove is not big enough for two of my fingers. I get the impression that's what it was designed for. I've stopped buying knives from Spyderco with handle ergonomics designed to have two fingers placed in one large finger groove like that because it's never big enough.
:unicorn
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

I like the current blade and ergos, but I’d like to see the wire clip and Sal’s mark. Or, at the very least, an unpainted spoon clip.
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
tangent

Post by tangent »

Unpainted clip and more importantly...NO LINERS! (like the salt 2)
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The ergos on both the delica and the endura are fine for me and I quite like the bullnosed tip.

I too would do prefer an unpainted clip or a wire clip or a parkerized clip. The clip isn't a big deal though.

My unpopular opinions: I'd like to see it with the same construction as the knifecenter pakawood: steel liners and a steel backspacer. My reasoning is because the delica already has steel liners so why not make them full? And if you want to go linerless then you can go Salt.

Also, I'd like the steel upgrade to be hap40 instead of zdp189.

Also, I'd like the serrared version to be ffg.

But honestly, do we need a d5? It's a pretty peak knife.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
attila

Post by attila »

Linerless G10 as a regular production version would be my only strong desire in a Delica 5.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
juggler

Post by juggler »

Don't care much about the clip as I never use them, but I wholeheartedly agree with your other two suggestions:

_ I find having multiple finger grooves to be useless at best and inconvenient most of the time.

_ As it is, the Delica is just a tad small for me: far from unsusable but my last two fingers are a bit cramped. A quarter of an inch would definitely help.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i’d like the finger grooves sorted out or removed altogether. the lil’para design from boomer52 looks like what the delica always wanted to be. same goes for the endura.

to be honest, it’s not really a huge deal because i don’t typically bear down on the handle. i think it’s more of a mental thing because it looks like it’s designed for a human hand until one is wrapped around it. when you have other knives that fit like gloves, it’s just a little off-putting. still great knives, but a grip that makes more sense would be nice.

if not, i’m perfectly happy with the knives that spyderco already makes that fit my hands nicely.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Only change I would make is deep carry, subdued finish, wire clip. I don't mind the tip, but I always find a pointy tip to be a useful design (D3 was great).
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Deep carry wire clip, crowned spine, 2.0mm stock, white FRN so it can be dyed any color the buyer wants
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I'd like a pointier tip and deeper carry, black wire clip
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:16 am
Deep carry wire clip, crowned spine, 2.0mm stock, white FRN so it can be dyed any color the buyer wants

Yep, and I'd have TWO...one in white, and one dyed. Great idea!
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
rogatsby

Post by rogatsby »

Everything is perfect for me, but I would like a jimped finger choil.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It works good enough for me but a tad cramped because of the finger grooves. I would want that fixed and nothing else.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Move the nose of the grip closer to the edge and smooth out the finger grooves like the Harpy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

...would be a Delica 4. Don’t mess with perfection.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Start using the Salt 2 handle so that it's linerless and stop rounding the tip. Give me a linerless splinter-picker like previous generations and I'd be a happy camper.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I must be in the minority here but for the Delica I love the liners. Maybe offer linerless and liner'ed? Or a single metal peice on each side that loops around but is completely open in the middle rather than just drilled out? I also think the clip is perfect... i can always polish it if I don't like black, and I never scratch anything with it. But Maybe a new optional blade shape? I'm seriously considering the warncliff version as I only have standard. Maybe a modified warncliff with less of the spine of the blade protruding when closed, such as achieved by altering the slope.

The problem is whatever they do I won't be able to afford it so I'm sticking to 4's for now lol.

Really the only thing I would definitely love to see would be a stonewashed finish, after use I have to shine all my blades up because you can really see all the gunk on em. I'd be less self-conscious about it if they weren't so darn shiny...

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
BigBadSheWolf

Post by BigBadSheWolf »

I really like my Blue Delica 4. The strong tip is great.
My suggestions for a successor would include; Pink G10, Blue anodised deep carry wire clip, better steel (S30V?), finger choil
Hälsningar,

Sigrid