Never Let Your Girl Use Your Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Never Let Your Girl Use Your Knife

Post by Sumdumguy »

This thread is Golden!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:38 pm
Hi Sharona,

Welcome to our forum.

Now we have to get you into a Spyderco. ;)

sal
Start with a Dragonfly. Had a Chive. Now carry a Dragonfly, my all-time favorite Spyderco. (And, yes I have more than one)

Welcome!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
supracor

Post by supracor »

Calicoast wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:28 pm

I will take it a step further.
There should be no room for sexism in this world.
We are all created equal.
C
Sexism, like any form of racism is a stupid thing, but certainly not because we were created equal, indeed, because we were created different.
Every human being (taking every human being as a unit) is worth more than another, and there are not two people who have the same value.
For this reason there can't be the struggle of men against women, and so on; because there are women who are worth more than many men as there are men who are worth more than so many women.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm not in the habit of handing over something like my Fluted CF Native to anyone, that's MY knife. But all friends/family/significant others of mine are 'issued' knives if they don't bring their own :D I keep spares.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Well, glad no one got hurt when it came apart.
Re: Loose spyderco screws, I noticed when I got my first Delica I switched the clip the first day I had it. After tightening the clip screws, I checked the others, just for the heck of it. The one that apparently held the lockbar was loose enough I had to tighten it a bit. In retrospect, I could feel the head protruding out of the recess in the FRN. While fiddling with it might have made it looser I only had it a few hours so I'm assuming it came that way.

I'm not complaining, I love the knife, but maybe when someone gets a new spyderco they should just check the screws to make sure? I do this on all my knives now, if one comes loose I know I'm screwed...pun intended.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Donut

Post by Donut »

ferider wrote:
Harburmaster wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:44 pm
I have a Pacific Salt black FRN H-1 black Blade Plain Edge and I let my girlfriend use it.
No, she didn't cut herself, stab someone else, or throw it out in the trash. Something much worse....
While she was using it, she didn't notice the screws came loose and the knife came apart.
Could it be that the wife knows about the girlfriend and took the lock screw out ?
This was the funniest post in the thread. LOL

Thank you.

Try not to blame her for winning the lottery, also.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

supracor wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:18 pm
Calicoast wrote:

I will take it a step further.
There should be no room for sexism in this world.
We are all created equal.
C
Sexism, like any form of racism is a stupid thing, but certainly not because we were created equal, indeed, because we were created different.
Every human being (taking every human being as a unit) is worth more than another, and there are not two people who have the same value.
For this reason there can't be the struggle of men against women, and so on; because there are women who are worth more than many men as there are men who are worth more than so many women.
Hear you.
+Probably could have worded that a little better.

All I know is that I wasn't raised that way, and not why I came to this forum. If I see it, it's not going to slide with me. I don't think the ladies on this forum will let it slide either. OP needs to learn knife maintenance. Especially before he hands it off to another.

On a side note, my wife asked me for my knife the other day to open an amazon box. I gave her my Urban K390, and it was a great teaching moment for slip joints, compared to my regular locking knifes. She thought it was cool, light, and small compared to my PM2's. That usually means she is going to steal it from me.
C
Last edited by Calicoast on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This thread was started by a sexist troll blaming Spyderco for faulty products. I am glad to see it went in a positive direction.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Sharona wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:22 pm
love my Kershaw Chive
My wife has two Dragonflies. The ergonomics are better than the Chive (nice knife, though) and the steel is better. It is also lighter weight. She has larger knives, but when she saw my FRN Dragonfly, she took it from me. HaHaHa! Then, she petitioned Sal for purple, and in a few months, she had a purple Dragonfly, too (along with Sal's wife and many other people, including me). She likes that it perfectly fits her tiny hand, is easy to lock and unlock, and fits into the near non-existent pockets on her pants. Great knives, great company.

Welcome to the forum.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

I agree with others that the lesson here isn't to not let your girl use your knife, but rather that the responsibility is on the owner of the knife to make sure it's properly maintained.
Harburmaster wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:44 pm
No, she didn't cut herself, stab someone else, or throw it out in the trash. Something much worse....
While she was using it, she didn't notice the screws came loose and the knife came apart.
Really? The knife falling apart and not injuring anyone is worse than if she'd cut herself or stabbed someone? :confused:

I hope Harburmaster sticks around long enough to read the replies here and to appreciate the diversity in this community and maybe to consider rearranging his priorities a bit.

As for me, my boyfriend has been into knives and edged things for at least as long as I have, but I introduced him to Spyderco. :D
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Same sort of attitude that would expect women to be in the kitchen, where you can find, yes, knives. :p

My 13 year old daughter seems to use my hap 40 dragonfly just fine. It’s still in one piece and she has all her digits.

Wondering where the knife was purchased.never had a spyderco come apart on me. Not that it couldn’t happen, but with all the fakes, it seems likely.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Dumbest Op but great responses for the
most part everyone.
Nice work
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I’m wondering how it came apart because the Pac Salt is a single piece mold FRN, even if the screws fall the tension from the spring against locking mechanism will keep the pivot in place. Unless it’s used to pry.
I’m with Doc. Probably didn’t happen that way. :confused:
Chris :spyder:
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

As a man and possibly a gentleman, I see this as a failure on your part to take care of your knife and your woman! You put her at risk of cutting herself and or you as well if you were using it when it decided to spontaneously combust (oh, I mean "fall apart")...

I, as a husband, do understand that this is my hobby and sickness and don't expect my wife to see knives as I do. But none the less, I still buy her good knives and I take it upon myself to make sure they are sharp and maintained as I do my own knives. So, even though it is just a tool and nothing else to her, it will always work and be the best tool for her cutting needs.

So stop blaming your girl for you lack of proper knife maintenance and grow up.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Guess I'm glad my Pacific Salt is pinned.. Except it's got blade play but it can't really fall apart lol
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Last edited by Accutron on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I hope this doesn't peg me as as @ss, but I kinda thought the OP meant the title of the post in jest. That said I never lend tools that are poorly maintained, nor would I blame the lend-ee, but as stated I assumed the issue was unawareness of knife maintenance not overt sexism.

My bad if I was wrong. To be fair, many other brands are seemingly constructed so that tightening screw/etc is not an issue, I thought that's what this was about (whereas ability to potentially disassemble was always a plus in my book for Spyderco...except for the stainless handle versions lol)..

Locktight is always a good idea, btw!

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I’m sure he didn’t notice the loose screw, and probably was jesting a bit. Probably upset and needed to say something. Noone’s perfect.

All the servers at work seem to think paring knives are for prying - girls and boys. Their fruit knives get destroyed.

He should have said never lend to a NKP.
- best wishes, Jazz.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:58 pm
...never lend to a NKP.
This.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”