Watches I'm watching

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
pdptrow

Watches I'm watching

Post by pdptrow »

:) Trying to decide on a watch, orient USA MAKO blue or Citizen ny0040-17L both are ~240-260. :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
ross8425

Re: Watches I'm watching

Post by ross8425 »

I have an Orient Mako that I wear when doing yard work. It is fairly accurate, but certainly durable. Face is not scratched. I string trim, edge, garden, etc with it on.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'm a Casio man myself.
Have a ABC Pathfinder for the last 7 or 8 years. Has been awesome.
Good luck on your decision.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I have the Orient Ray in blue and it's been good for me, however on occasion it will sit for a day or two and needs reset. You might want to consider a Citizen Eco-drive. Good watches for the money. These were on sale recently on Amazon Prime day. https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-Driv ... r_wa_1_swr
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I’ve had my eye on a SR-35 Maratac (automatic) for a few months now, but I am waiting until they release the model with a date window. Other than that, I’m looking at a Seiko Baby Tuna (automatic) and an Oris Big Crown (automatic).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderNut wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:14 pm
I’ve had my eye on ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sharona

Post by Sharona »

LOVE that watch!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:33 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
I’ve had my eye on ...
Hahahaha! I love it, Bloke. That will look sweet with my leather pants and vest.
🤣
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Flanker_27

Post by Flanker_27 »

Sooooo, I've been tempted for a while to get my hands on this : Image
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

I am a Casio fan myself, preferably the Japan made models GW5000. I am really rough on watches. I have had the Maratac Pilot, which I sold. Nice Watch though. Looking at Seikos lately. My dream watch is the Rolex Milgauss.
C
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Flanker_27 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:44 am
Honestly, that's a good looking watch
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Spyder_Flick

Post by Spyder_Flick »

Does anyone have any experience with Bulova watches? I have found a few I like, the biggest thing for me is they have batteries. My only other watch is a solar G-SHOCK, and I like not having to worry about the battery dying at the worst time.

I am looking for a dressier watch, something that would look good with a polo, suit or jeans. I love how tough my G-Shock is, it just doesn't look right with nice clothes.
My :spyder: : Native 5 LW
PStone

Post by PStone »

Spyder_Flick wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:27 am
Does anyone have any experience with Bulova watches? I have found a few I like, the biggest thing for me is they have batteries. My only other watch is a solar G-SHOCK, and I like not having to worry about the battery dying at the worst time.

I am looking for a dressier watch, something that would look good with a polo, suit or jeans. I love how tough my G-Shock is, it just doesn't look right with nice clothes.
I used to have a 96b257 precisionist. Was a dressier watch. Very accurate. Always seemed to be in sync with my radio and satellite citizens. Kind of impressive actually. Plus it goes with dress clothes as well as casual. But like you, I wasn’t keen on the battery. So I sold it before it died.
Have you checked out Citizen eco drives? There are some nice ones to be had for not a lot of money. I own 9 and never had any kind of issues with them.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Flanker_27 wrote:
As a veteran of the Cold War and graduate of the Armor Officer Basic Course at Fort Knox, Kentucky
the Russian CHISTOPOLCITY VOSTOK KOMANDIRSKIE TANK WATCH
rubs my fur the wrong way. But knock yourself out.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

This thread reminds me of an old story. It's such an old story, I have to provide the background for you youngsters.

Evangelist Jimmy Swaggart was outed for hiring prostitutes. He didn't touch them, he just looked at them while they crawled around on the bed. Johnny Carson, a popular late night comedian, came up with this play on words.

"What's the difference between Jimmy Swaggart and a pickpocket?"

"A pickpocket likes to snatch watches."

(It's your job to figure out the punch line.)
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

SpyderNut wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:40 pm
Bloke wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:33 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
I’ve had my eye on ...
Hahahaha! I love it, Bloke. That will look sweet with my leather pants and vest.
🤣
I wonder if it will give you a discount in Blue Oyster bar :D
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Spyder_Flick

Post by Spyder_Flick »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:01 pm
Spyder_Flick wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:27 am

I used to have a 96b257 precisionist. Was a dressier watch. Very accurate. Always seemed to be in sync with my radio and satellite citizens. Kind of impressive actually. Plus it goes with dress clothes as well as casual. But like you, I wasn’t keen on the battery. So I sold it before it died.
Have you checked out Citizen eco drives? There are some nice ones to be had for not a lot of money. I own 9 and never had any kind of issues with them.
I have been looking at Citizen and Seiko. I do like how a lot of the Citizen watches are solar.
My :spyder: : Native 5 LW
Crux

Post by Crux »

pdptrow wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:33 am
:) Trying to decide on a watch, orient USA MAKO blue or Citizen ny0040-17L both are ~240-260. :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
I love watches so I understand your quandary. Luckily for my I cannot wear a watch or any jewelry at all. This frustrates me because as an idiot collector, I would have 300 watches by now. Instead I have 2 of which I haven't seen in years. Saves me cash for Spydercos though. :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Bodog wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:55 pm
Flanker_27 wrote:
Honestly, that's a good looking watch
They are really cool, but the precision is a bit .. LADA-like. I'd say for a conversation piece, yay a timepiece, nay
I have a handful watches in rotation myself, a Timex Explorer, a Casio Lineage, radio controlled, a SEIKO Solar, a Casio G-Shock and a few others.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Last year was the 100th anniversary of the original Tank watch.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/fash ... -tank.html

Cartier was inspired by the shape of WWI tanks and designed an "androgynous" watch so it could be worn by men. It is my understanding that up until that point men wore pocket watches. Wrist watches were only worn by women.

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/carti ... tch-guide/

The design never appealed to me.