Aussies vs Kiwis: The discussion continues!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Aussies vs Kiwis: The discussion continues!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What is this ongoing "friendly rivalry" between the wonderful and amazing people of Australia and the exquisite and fascinating people of New Zealand, and both of them are very industrious and some of my favorite people in the world?

Check this interesting article out:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/nickw44/31-rea ... .jlpEQ38LD

Your insights are welcome!

I love em both! And both got each other's backs.

Sub question here: To both Aussies and Kiwis: How difficult and what sort of real world challenged and necessities would it take if an American or Canadian or European decided "I want to go and live off the land in the Australian outback" and/or "I want to go and live off the land in the New Zealand mountains?"

1 What sort of permissions and issues with the governments in both countries would be required?
2 What sort of practical survival and outdoor living skills would be necessary in either place?
3 How would the locals, including the Aboriginals of Australia and Maoris of New Zealand, react to such a person coming there and doing that?
4 How long would the person last if they knew what they were doing and endured as best as they can?

And lastly: Name a set of knives that would be most suitable for such living: One folder and one fixed blade.
JD Spydo

Re: Aussies vs Kiwis: The discussion continues!

Post by JD Spydo »

Well SEF I'm really glad you brought up our good Brethren from Australia and New Zealand :) And you are so right because I find that are Spyder-Brethren ( Sisters too :D ) that are from those two countries are all super contributors to the forum and everyone of them I've gotten to know are really "stand up", first class folks :cool:

I would like to add one more group that we have a very high percentage of contributors here on the Forum and that is our Brethren from the Netherlands. Like our good Brothers from the Southern Hemisphere the Spyder-Brethren from the Netherlands have just been super all the way around. I truly consider it a privilege to get to know these great people from all parts of the globe and it's really mind blowing how Spyder-Fever just doesn't know any borders ;)

However in this case I don't look at it as one versus the other as much as I do as them being good representatives from other parts of the globe. I truly hope to visit all 3 of these great countries before the Good Lord removes me from the planet. And I do hope that is many years from now. But again it is very interesting how Spyder-Fever is truly world wide with great representation from many parts of the globe. Very interesting thread SEF :cool:
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Let me welcome the both of you to my home if you ever decide to visit us over here.
JD, you & I can get on, I know.
SEF, I want to see if you are real & I am sure you would be an interesting time.

Now for the question of survival off the land in the outback.
What does it matter if you are an American ? You are still Human, I presume.
To be sure, you will become very skinny.
You will eat a lot of meat & muddy fish.
Depending on the area chosen is to the available food.
The real outback to us Aussies is a semi desert arid zone with slim pickings other than meat. Very hot days & freezing nights in their seasons.
This is a huge topic & needs a lot of in field knowledge & many of the available foods need to be specially prepared to rid them of toxicity.
Water is one huge issue to get it potable even after you find it.
Native species are under blanket protection & only the feral's can be eaten. This would change PostSHTF.
Totally off the land, in the state that it is in now after 200 years of abuse, with out substitute food, your chances are slim.
Many Aussies think that it will be a cake walk, but they are deceived & without practical experience.
Put many people into the wild after a SHF situation & the place would be eaten out in a week.
Plus the gut on you is used to such a different diet & that alone would give you a lot of trouble.
Permission to enter land is a very easy hurdle. Just many restrictions once you get there.
Do you eat cat ?
The Dingo's want to eat your pink little self.
O.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SEF, I think O summed it up fairly well on the survival front.

I’d say I’m a fair bushman with pretty good survival skills but I wouldn’t want to put those skills to the test in our arid outback. Water would be the biggest hurdle to overcome for sure. It would be easier in the tropics but even then local knowledge goes a long way.

As far as friendly rivalry goes, I’ve posted this in another thread … my wife is quarter Kiwi, my daughter married a Kiwi and my little grandkids do the bloody Haka, my son’s wife is half Kiwi. I’m up to my armpits in Kiwis and fair to say I love them all but it’s my patriotic duty to have a friendly chop at every opportunity and it would be Un-Australian if I didn’t. :)

Anyhow, here’s a picture of a Kiwi and his Trophy Cabinets. ;)

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Bloke, you never cease to amaze and entertain :)

Here is a knife related question about Australians and NZers:

One of my greatest desires is to see a truly 100 percent FROM SCRATCH line of knives made in both Australia and New Zealand. A line of knives that has quality stainless or carbon steel that is not imported at all. I DO appreciate Svord knives, for example, but, notice, the steel is imported from Sweden, which is ofcourse excellent steel. But, is it possible and would it be desirable for an Aussie knife maker to literally make every component of their knife line from local materials, from the iron ore on up, or, is that not at this point feasible?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SEF, we Australians have all the minerals and resources known to man but, We Don't Make Anything! :)

Our illustrious governments have all but closed down manufacturing and our steel industry but sell the world our iron ore, coal, uranium or whatever they want to buy for a song. The rest of the world use our resources to make steel etc. then sell the finished products back to us at exorbitant rates. :confused:

The rest of the world must think we're bunnies. :eek:
harronek

Post by harronek »

I spent the first 35 years as a Kiwi and the last 14 as an Aussie .
I look at the best aspects of both lands and quickly disregard the rest .
Good luck truly surviving of the land in any country in the world .
If I was forced to I would base myself in a coastal setting not inland because the sea can and will support you easier with landbased food opportunities supplementing when possible .
As to knives I have no idea really , I suppose a good fixed blade would be best , but even more importantly a machete or axe would be high on the priority list .

Ken
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’ve no dog in this fight, but would mention one thing only - Aussie Rules Football...
Attachments
974BB006-C98A-4E5F-A8F2-49BC3876134B.jpeg
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Sal really needs to put a like button on the forum.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:17 pm
SEF, I think O summed it up fairly well on the survival front.

I’d say I’m a fair bushman with pretty good survival skills but I wouldn’t want to put those skills to the test in our arid outback. Water would be the biggest hurdle to overcome for sure. It would be easier in the tropics but even then local knowledge goes a long way.

As far as friendly rivalry goes, I’ve posted this in another thread … my wife is quarter Kiwi, my daughter married a Kiwi and my little grandkids do the bloody Haka, my son’s wife is half Kiwi. I’m up to my armpits in Kiwis and fair to say I love them all but it’s my patriotic duty to have a friendly chop at every opportunity and it would be Un-Australian if I didn’t. :)

How often you boys beat the All Blacks again?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:44 pm
Ah, hahaha! :)

We give them a sympathetic win every now and then because we’re a benevolent lot. Just like we give them residence and social security. :rolleyes:

It’s just the Australian way Lance. ;)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:14 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:44 pm

We give them a sympathetic win every now and then because we’re a benevolent lot. Just like we give them residence and social security. :rolleyes:

It’s just the Australian way Lance. ;)
Looks like you’ve “given” the boys in black 15 wins to your 2 since 2011? Benevolent indeed! :cool:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:09 pm
Looks like you’ve “given” the boys in black 15 wins to your 2 since 2011? Benevolent indeed! :cool:
Kiwi referees! ;)
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:15 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Kiwi referees! ;)
Neutral referees in rugby. There are a few gaps in the aussie sporting cabinet that need filling at the moment and we honestly dont mind if you try to sneak in a win every now and then.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

gingerninja wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:29 am
Bloke wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
Kiwi referees! ;)
Neutral referees in rugby. There are a few gaps in the aussie sporting cabinet that need filling at the moment and we honestly dont mind if you try to sneak in a win every now and then.
Hey Cuz, how they hangin? I was wondering when you’d chime in. :cool:

OK, You’ve got me. :p Yeah, the All Blacks have had a few lucky wins of late (my daughter’s husband reminds me often enough) and they’ve cost me a few boxes of beer I can tell you but I can’t see that lasting too much longer and don’t worry I won’t mention Rugby League. ;) Ah, hahaha! :)
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:00 am
gingerninja wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:29 am
Bloke wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
Kiwi referees! ;)
Hey Cuz, how they hangin? I was wondering when you’d chime in. :cool:

OK, You’ve got me. :p Yeah, the All Blacks have had a few lucky wins of late (my daughter’s husband reminds me often enough) and they’ve cost me a few boxes of beer I can tell you but I can’t see that lasting too much longer and don’t worry I won’t mention Rugby League. ;) Ah, hahaha! :)
The all Blacks winning ways will continue on for longer than it takes oz to start winning again. We dont mind if you win a few, we are quite happy with our near 90% winning record over 100 plus years but it should give you something to aim for. Since your not going to mention the league I wont mention the cricket, well till at least boxing day anyway.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

gingerninja wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:27 pm
... I wont mention the cricket ...
Please don't mention the cricket ... or sandpaper ever! :eek:
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Hey Bloke, I think you need a new pair of specs, seems like you're having a few difficulties recognising your Kiwi's and Pom's. That's Aaron Lennon the England and Everton soccer player. In true Pom spirit he's never won anything of note :)
Bloke wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 am
Hey Bloke, I think you need a new pair of specs, seems like you're having a few difficulties recognising your Kiwi's and Pom's. That's Aaron Lennon the England and Everton soccer player. In true Pom spirit he's never won anything of note :)

Thanks for the heads up 1801. Either ways he looks like a beaten favourite and I can definitely see two trophy cabinets so there’d have to be a Kiwi just out of camera shot. Looks like I go two birds with one stone. Ah, hahaha! :cool:

Poor ole Poms, last thing they ever won was the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805 and I think a Pom may have beaten a drunk Frenchman at a game of darts in a pub once but I couldn’t say for sure. :rolleyes:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:30 am
I’ve no dog in this fight, but would mention one thing only - Aussie Rules Football...
Sorry it’s taken so long to get back to you Chris but as you can see I’m drowning in Kiwis. The Gringo isn’t helping either and I think he may be a Kiwi too. :p

OK ... Aussie Rules Football, ay? Mate, it’s peculiar to the state of Victoria (played in extra tight shorts) a lot like Victoria Bitter beer, mullet hair cuts and beanies. All I can say with certainty is it’s strongly discouraged in the mighty state of New South Wales and even the Queenslander’s (another strange lot) don’t like it ... not much more to add other than to say it’s still better than darts and snooker but not as good as caber tossing. ;)