Lock Tests from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ThePeacent

Lock Tests from Spyderco

Post by ThePeacent »

Hello everybody,

I was reading old threads about locks and such, and I wondered if Spyderco ever released data, test results or info about their locks -both MBC and "normal"-, the limits they push them to and what forces do they withstand, :cool:

this is NOT a thread to discuss the proper handling of locks, lock safety, or the need for a locking mechanism, but rather to discuss the data -if any- about the different locks and their strengths. :rolleyes:

I have read in the Cold Steel forums and Benchmade forums about their own lab-testing (oftentimes with video) and data about lock strength and was curious about Sal&Co. :o

Also, this post from Sal in 2010 made me curious about what he said and if there was any follow up on that, which I could not find myself :confused:
► Show Spoiler
and next reply to same member:
► Show Spoiler
I am just curious and it's always an interesting subject and fascinating read for me, :rolleyes:
thank you very much

I appreciate all your input
Have a nice day :spyder:
Bloke

Re: Lock Tests from Spyderco

Post by Bloke »

Hi David,

I saw a few years ago now and my memory isn’t the best but I remember a Delica set up in a fixture holding the handle and a winch attached to the blade with a scale to measure force applied and the lock tested to destruction. Anyhow the lock per se did not fail as you’d expect. The tang of the blade broke/failed where the lock bar fits into it.

It was very interesting and highlighted just how strong a back lock really is.

I had a quick look just then but can’t find the video clip. I’ll look some more and hopefully I’ll find it and post it here. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Bhq did some tests on locks with a wench. It's on YouTube. Pretty sure it was mostly Spyderco knives. Not official data or anything but it was a good watch.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Yes I saw both BHQ lock tests and all of Cold Steel's (Demko) tests, but I was referring to Sal's own testing and the data obtained at the Spyderco testing labs :confused:

I know other companies release the data or make it publicly available (their minimum lock strength standard, differences between models, etc.) and wondered about Spyderco :rolleyes:

Thanks all again for your input
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

It was unfortunate that the BHQ video did not use the Sage Series for all possible tests as the same knife (shape, length, steel, stock) would have possibly yielded better data. But then again, who would snap a Sage4? :eek:
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I can't stand that they act like any type of lock from any company at any price is as good as the same type of lock from some other company at any price.

A liner lock from a $15 kershaw will not be as good as a liner lock from a $200 spyderco military. It just won't. Not saying all military liner locks are perfect and not saying all kershaw liner locks are junk but come on now. Common sense and logic say one company will generally produce something better than the other.

****, i doubt a liner lock from a byrd will be as good as a liner lock from a spyderco and they're produced by the same company. These tests crack me up because they're so pointless for anyone who has any idea about these things. But man, they make good youtube fodder.

I do believe that the triad lock is undoubtedly the strongest lock though. Not necessarily one i want to have because there are always tradeoffs but the triad is the strongest.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

So, my first question is this: How many of us have had lock failures with Spyderco knives, even under what could be considered abusive conditions?

I'm intrigued/amused by the famous/infamous "proof" videos, but have to say that I can never envision applying that much force to a folding knife with my bare hands... if I need a hammer or an ax, I'll use one, if I need to split firewood with a knife, I'll use a beefy fixed blade.

Data is a fine thing, but when you get stuck in the trap of seeking the *most overbuilt* lock versus the most functional knife for your needs, it can potentially blind you to the knife that would actually serve you best. If I was in a position to publish or withhold lock strength measurements for a knife line, I would probably choose not to publish... The testing procedures and measurement regimens between different makers are likely to vary enough that the numbers wouldn't be true apples to apples comparisons and putting out a number simply invites someone else to fabricate a larger number to appear superior (either by manipulating testing parameters or just plain embellishing), or makes your (possibly quite excellent) product appear inferior if a competitor happens to exceed your number for that spec.

The "proof" is in carrying a knife and using it for your needs, then assessing its performance in that application, not in a number or a video of cutting through ballistic dummies.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wouldn't expect them to ever release this type of info, it generally opens the door for people to abuse or "test" the limits which quickly becomes a W&R nightmare. Sal has said in the past they can engineer any of their locks to be as strong as necessary and I believe that's the truth.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I abused my locked shaman and battonned it though 4 pieces of dry wood that were approximately 2 feet long each. Even through knots and had no increased blade play in any direction. I sing plan to ever do it again but I have no qualms about it being a shtf tool if needed.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
vivi

Post by vivi »

awa54 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:06 am
So, my first question is this: How many of us have had lock failures with Spyderco knives, even under what could be considered abusive conditions?
I have.

Back in my oh so scientific "knife testing" phase, when I ran my me too cliff stamp knock off site and posted videos etc., I broke an Endura lock. I had reprofiled a ZDP189 Endura flat to the stone. This was the old saber ground version and I tried to convert it to a scandi grind, basically.

Everyone harped about how my knife was useless and too weak to be used, and I set out to prove them wrong by using it for various hard / abusive tasks.

At one point my genius *** decided to baton that knife into a log. The reprofiled blade held up fine....but the lock didn't. Somewhere I still have a video.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

awa54 wrote:
So, ... if I need to split firewood ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

pfft, wasting a bullet when theres a perfectly good folding log splitter clipped to his pocket :D
:unicorn
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

My only lock fail from Spyderco was on my Shaman the same week I got it. But I sent the knife to spyderco and they said they could tell it was a manufacturing defect. So that really isn't even a lock fail issue imo. A sad one off, but when you buy 10 knives a year every year, you can't be upset at the one off.

Outside of spyderco the only knives that have failed on me were my two emersons. Absolutely awful lock up and lock rock and they both failed shortly after getting them. They were so bad I just tossed them. SHINY FOOTPRINTS: NOT EVERYTHING MADE BY EMERSON KNIVES IS BAD OR DEFECTIVE. I RESPECT MR. EMERSON FOR HIS INNOVATIONS AND THINK HIS DESIGNS LOOK COOL.

The YouTube "tester" incited lockup issue to me is wayyyy overblown. We all expect quality knives to have solid and reasonably safe lockup. More than that, ehh.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Can't say I've ever had a strength problem with any spyderco lock, but I'm definitely no longer a fan of Ti-steel interfaces. Have personally seen the Ti wear out.

Increasingly, lockbacks are growing on me. Comp lock is still king, though.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Is this the video? https://youtu.be/ERxHUXAFVs4

Here is the first test: https://youtu.be/4KmHfbG7z7g
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:31 pm
awa54 wrote:
So, ... if I need to split firewood ...
That fails the "good idea" test in so many ways! lol I bet he said "Hold my beer for a minute, you're never gonna belive this!" right before shooting that log.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've broken the lock on a Frost brand $3.00 "truck stop" folder (Spyderco-ish) and a Pakistani made Bullet (Buck folding hunter-ish) that I bought out of the back of a comic book in the 1980s, but both were cheap as could be made junkers with butter knife grade steel for lockbars.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...