Reinhold Rhino Update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: Reinhold Rhino Update

Post by SpyderNut »

BobbyT wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:57 pm
Hi Michael. I absolutely love the Rhino. Great balance between size and ergonomics. Awesome job, man.

And for those who are wondering about clip options, here is a quick comparison. The left is the standard clip. The middle one is the shorter Deep Carry Clip for Benchmade from MXG Gear. Right is the Armorous Clip for Benchmade & Emerson from Rev Hartz.

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for the compliments, my friend. I'm glad you're enjoying your new knife! :) Great picture too, by the way. That clip on the far right is pretty stinking cool!

Welcome aboard,

Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:07 am

Dragonfly 2, Rhino, & Chaparral 6 comparison.
Nice shot, Bdubs808. :)

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Big50

Post by Big50 »

This post is for Michael and Sal (I know at least Michael is following this thread).

I just wanted to jump in and express how pleased I am with the Rhino. The design is endearing, and the large belly allows the short blade to act larger than it is. The execution is spot on from a fit & finish perspective and the action is breaking in quite nicely after a few weeks (I can’t remember if I backed the pivot off a skosh or not).

I find myself carrying it sometimes in conjunction with a larger knife and sometimes instead of a larger knife. The knife is also a great way to get the feel of a Taichung Spydie without breaking the bank. XHP is fun because it’s kinda unique relative to other steels these days.

It’s a fun, cool, classy, useful little knife. I think it would be a perfect special occasion gift, like for groomsmen, Christmas, etc. While I admit I’ll experiment with deep carry clips at some point, I just wanted to tell you guys well done all the way around!

Might there be a 3.25” version in the future? ;-)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I agree. Mine remains un-tinkered with except for tiny spots of light oil on the bushings. I carry it all of the time solo or with other Spydies.

It is beginning to break in so that occasionally I can release the lock and shake the blade out if the detent. Takes effort though so I don’t expect to make that a practice.

As Big50 said the blade shape and long cutting edge contributes to the surprising performance.

Well done!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Big50 wrote: This post is for Michael and Sal (I know at least Michael is following this thread).

I just wanted to jump in and express how pleased I am with the Rhino. The design is endearing, and the large belly allows the short blade to act larger than it is. The execution is spot on from a fit & finish perspective and the action is breaking in quite nicely after a few weeks (I can’t remember if I backed the pivot off a skosh or not).

I find myself carrying it sometimes in conjunction with a larger knife and sometimes instead of a larger knife. The knife is also a great way to get the feel of a Taichung Spydie without breaking the bank. XHP is fun because it’s kinda unique relative to other steels these days.

It’s a fun, cool, classy, useful little knife. I think it would be a perfect special occasion gift, like for groomsmen, Christmas, etc. While I admit I’ll experiment with deep carry clips at some point, I just wanted to tell you guys well done all the way around!

Might there be a 3.25” version in the future? ;-)

Thank you for the kind words, Big50. I am pleased you're enjoying your new Rhino! I had a lot of fun designing that knife and am happy to hear that it's working well for you.

I made a larger version of the Rhino (3" blade) last year, but it is currently at Spyderco for evaluation. It is likely too soon to say if this would eventually come to fruition. :)

Take care,

-Michael

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:56 pm
I agree. Mine remains un-tinkered with except for tiny spots of light oil on the bushings. I carry it all of the time solo or with other Spydies.

It is beginning to break in so that occasionally I can release the lock and shake the blade out if the detent. Takes effort though so I don’t expect to make that a practice.

As Big50 said the blade shape and long cutting edge contributes to the surprising performance.

Well done!

Thank you, Michael. I really appreciate that. :) I've been playing with mine the last few days and I too have about gotten it broken in well enough where I can swing the blade shut after the lock is disengaged.

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Gee… how did you know? I would also like to note that I think this Rhino is an example of a quality design. It kind of “locks in” to a my knife preferences more than a generic design does. It can be argued that generic is more useful in a variety of situations, but it doesn’t say, “Yeah, baby!” quite like a more radical purpose-driven design.

Yes, I am totally biased. There it is.

A 3” version? I would think the characteristics that appeal to me in the current model would remain. No way to know but will be interesting to find out. My only caveat now would be the size. Would I carry a larger version as much as I carry this one which is always?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

I just got mine. Looks good! One question . Is it me or is there two detent balls? One on the compression tab and another nested in the pivot on the other side.

I'm assuming this 2nd detent ball prevents free dropping blade. Anybody open her up yet?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Darth_cholo wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:23 pm
I just got mine. Looks good! One question . Is it me or is there two detent balls? One on the compression tab and another nested in the pivot on the other side.

I'm assuming this 2nd detent ball prevents free dropping blade. Anybody open her up yet?
I was impatient and loosened the pivot. Not enough to fall free, but enough to so that it closes if I give it a good hard swing.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

Fixed mine. The small amount of realestate could of used wire clip too.

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Generally I don’t like clips on smaller knives and usually remove them and just pocket carry. But I have left the clip on my Rhino. It feels fine in hand and gives me a little platform for opening.

Team Innovation
Spyder_Flick

Post by Spyder_Flick »

Darth_cholo wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:43 am
Fixed mine. The small amount of realestate could of used wire clip too.

Fixed, you say? I say, ruined with the butterfly clip. 🤣 I'm just playing.
I do agree that it would be better with the wire clip. Although I have not handled one to know for sure.
My :spyder: : Native 5 LW
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Darth_cholo wrote:

I think it's more of an internal spacer pin. Since there's no frame screws close to the pivot, just squeezing the pivot area really effects the blade tension. The little pin, I'm guessing, is to alleviate that issue. So the blade is milled out like a Southard with an internal stop pin, but I believe the one on the Rhino is just for spacing.
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

soulspy wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:27 am
Darth_cholo wrote:

I think it's more of an internal spacer pin. Since there's no frame screws close to the pivot, just squeezing the pivot area really effects the blade tension. The little pin, I'm guessing, is to alleviate that issue. So the blade is milled out like a Southard with an internal stop pin, but I believe the one on the Rhino is just for spacing.
Hmm interesting. I didn't think it was a stop pin after examining opening and closing. Para 3 found a way to have smooth action with only one screw on that side of knife. Both have a pressed pin doubling as blade stop and compression lock pin. Perhaps due to the smaller size it's an issue.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

SpyderNut wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:00 am
Bdubs808 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:07 am

Dragonfly 2, Rhino, & Chaparral 6 comparison.
Nice shot, Bdubs808. :)
Thanks Mr. Reinhold, very cool design you made here. Been carrying the knife every day since I got it last week and trying to break in the action. Much open/closing fidgeting. I did not adjust the pivot, however a few drops of Nano Oil seems to have done the trick:
https://youtu.be/anjp7ljgcjg

No drop shut action yet, but it will get there eventually I feel.

Also, my hands are large sized and the little Rhino grips quite comfortably.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

In using the Rhino, I find myself trying to disengage the liner lock that isn't there. My thumb just naturally wants to go there with this knife for some reason. Anybody else find this happening?
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I'd guess it's because of the cutout for accessing the thumbhole, which usually also doubles as a cutout for lock access on liner and frame lock knives.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's it. Just curious if anyone else is doing it almost every time they use the Rhino or if it's just my stupid brain. :)
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Maybe in the beginning but now my brain has trained my hand well enough that I naturally reach for the compression lock.

Team Innovation
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Okay! Mine just came in. Great f&f and I promptly cut my finger. Ergos are different. I won't say bad. I think I'll just have to get used to them. Interestingly, mine is free dropping but there's side to side play so I'll tighten the pivot once I get to my torx and remedy the play and lose the free dropping. It is really nice though. It'll be a few weeks before any final decisions. I bought it to compete with my Chap LW as my office carry. We'll see ha.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!