Swick 5 Wharnie in LC200N

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Swick 5 Wharnie in LC200N

Post by steelcity16 »

Sal mentioned in another thread that a Swick 5 Wharnie in LC200N is being looked at. This is exciting news for me as I have never owned a Swick, but have always thought they looked intriguing.

Share you experiences with Swick here...

How many models do you own?

Do you EDC them?

How do you carry them?

What scales do you have on them?

What tasks do they excel at?

If this new one comes to fruition, how many will you buy?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Re: Swick 5 Wharnie in LC200N

Post by vivi »

As someone that asked for this very knife to be made, I'm extremely excited for its release. I'm used to wanting things with extremely low chances of being brought to the market, so seeing a direct request of mine being made it's really special to me.

I've owned 3 Swicks in the past, the Swick 2 and 3.

The Swick is my favorite Spyderco fixed blade for EDC. It's a tiny knife, yet even with my huge hands I can get a comfortable, full grip on the knife.

The Swick 3 is my favorite, as I feel the wharncliffe blade shape works very well on smaller blades. I find the Swick 3 to be a more aggressive cutter than the Swick 4 due to the blade shape.

I think a small wharncliffe blade like the Swick 3 & upcoming 5 is pretty much the best all around utility shape for an EDC knife. I typically carry a larger blade with belly, like a Police 3, mainly because that size & shape lends itself a little more versatility when it comes to stuff like food prep, but for typical utility work like cutting cardboard, opening clam shell packages, cutting rope etc., something like a Swick or Delica wharncliffe is superior.

I carry mine horizontally in a kydex sheath with paracord loops to attach to my belt in the 1 o clock position. It's incredibly easy to draw, cut and re-sheath one handed, and if need be I could draw it in reverse grip with my left hand easily as well.

I keep a set of Anzo style G10 scales on mine. I've also tried paracord wraps, but I find some thin G10 slabs are a great fit for this knife.

IMO the biggest hurdle in going from "I own a Swick" to "I carry and use a Swick often" is finding a good sheath. I've tried a few different makers, and eventually concluded that I need to buy a heat gun and kydex to make my own. That project is still on the back burner, hence why I gravitate towards my Izula 2 over the Swick when I carry a FB on my belt.

The Swick sheath should be light, minimal and secure. So may of the sheaths I've seen are much bigger than they need to be for this knife.

I have not heard whether the Swick 5 will come with a factory sheath or not, or scales. I'd be happy with a naked LC200N Swick, but if it were up to me I would include thin, black micarta scales attached with screws, and a minimal boltaron sheath with good retention. I'd like scales with a finish like the Street Beat scales.

The Swick is small and light enough to function as a neck knife, so any included sheath needs to be safe for inverted carry IMO.

Lastly, I feel like the Swick is an excellent choice for those who carry for self defense. I don't, and I don't claim to be an expert, but it has a lot of positive features looked at in this light. Being rust proof it will be a knife you can carry in any climate year round. Fixed blades are much faster to draw than folders. The wharncliffe blade has a lot in common with the yojimbo. The index hole offers incredible control and grip retention, similar to a karambit.

This is a knife I'd gladly break my 365 day challenge for :) Tempting to carry mine today.
:unicorn
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have two Swick3s and two Swick4s. One sports homemade zebrawood scales and one sports blue halperns.

I will buy a Swick5 if the blade is bigger but I do not think that the LC200N version will offer me anything that the S30V versions are not.

They are my go to icefishing knives and I carry them clipped to the shoulder strap of my coveralls. They make it easy to tie knots with the knife in your hand and they make it near impossible to drop the knife in the hole or on the ice.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I don’t carry mine too often but when I do, it’s as a neck knife in a kydex sheath. Actually just made some scales for it.
92264C66-016D-4DB4-9F80-723746FC6326.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

This needs a bump.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Any news on this?
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
sal

Post by sal »

The design is finished. Two finger hole sizes. The sheaths have also been designed. Now it's all about queue. I'd like to make them in Golden.

sal
attila

Post by attila »

Thanks for the update!!

Does that mean that we will have 2 model options with differing finger hole sizes?
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
sal

Post by sal »

Correct.

sal
attila

Post by attila »

That's a pretty neat idea! Thanks!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Awesome! I have the 4 and love it. Is it for sure going to be a wharnie?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Oooo I'm stoked
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:38 pm
The design is finished. Two finger hole sizes. The sheaths have also been designed. Now it's all about queue. I'd like to make them in Golden.

sal
Two finger hole sizes? Interesting!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Pretty excited about this!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Awesome news. I love my Swick. I carry it IWB canted at about 45 degrees at 1oclock. It disappears and I dont feel it walking or sitting..

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr

sailhand

Post by sailhand »

Im on board for this knife. A great mariners knife with the finger hole for security and the lc200n for corrosion resistance. Think i would have preferred the leaf blade but will definitely get a wharnie. I suggested a leaf bladed swick with a slightly longer cutting edge some time ago so it will be interesting to see the final product.
Reject

Post by Reject »

Some photos dragged from the archives for Swick history and size reference.

How much can a Koala bear?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Reject,

Very nice history of the development of the Swick 5. Do you have the blunt tip Caspian?

sal
Reject

Post by Reject »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:41 pm
Hi Reject,

Very nice history of the development of the Swick 5. Do you have the blunt tip Caspian?

sal
:) Yes I have one of those.
I had to go back to 2012 to find this photo.

How much can a Koala bear?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Very nice collection Reject, thanks for sharing.