Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Post by Sumdumguy »

Accutron wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:29 pm
I'm hoping it will look something like this...

This looks more like what I saw at Blade.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:04 am
Accutron wrote:

Did you notice what steel it was?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I think you can count on it being S30V.

If the “Not An Actual Product Photo” bears a good resemblance to what was seen at Blade, I’m enthused.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Accutron wrote:

OH LORD YES.

My money....

Take it.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

A native with a 4 inch blade. Have we reinvented the Police 4 ??
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:29 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:04 am
Accutron wrote:

Did you notice what steel it was?
It was a prototype, it didn't have any markings.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

This may anger a few spyderco enthusiasts when I say this, but I honestly look at this model and think to myself

"FINALLY, A NORMAL LOOKING KNIFE".

I just really like the design. It looks like it would have excellent ergonomics, a long enough handle for anyone to ensure a solid 4-finger grip (when not using the choil), good slicing ability (tall FFG blade), strong construction, a stout tip, the tried and true back lock, and enough blade to handle tasks that require it. I also feel that it maintains signature spyderco features while bringing a noticeable level of uniqueness to the table. The blade is somewhat leaf shaped but elongated in such a way that it separates it from other spydercos. I really hope this concept comes to fruition.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:41 pm
This may anger a few spyderco enthusiasts when I say this, but I honestly look at this model and think to myself

I just really like the design. It looks like it would have excellent ergonomics, a long enough handle for anyone to ensure a solid 4-finger grip (when not using the choil), good slicing ability (tall FFG blade), strong construction, a stout tip, the tried and true back lock, and enough blade to handle tasks that require it. I also feel that it maintains signature spyderco features while bringing a noticeable level of uniqueness to the table. The blade is somewhat leaf shaped but elongated in such a way that it separates it from other spydercos. I really hope this concept comes to fruition.
Really?
When I saw this photo I thought “neat a swedge on a police 4... they need to bring back the pollywog or something as it feels like the balony is getting sliced a bit thin”
I mean in what way is this knife meaningfully different to a police 4 or a Millie
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The police 4 seems like it would have inferior ergonomics to the chief. Regarding blade shape, it's like an elongated military, which is an elongated pm2 (maintaining spine width and blade height), which is an elongated pm3. Spyderco has 35+ knives with similar blade shape and this is one of the few that while you can tell it's clearly a spyderco, it stands out.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I’m intrigued but the devil is in the details. No problem with S30 V but what lock did the prototype have? I’d prefer a comp lock to a back lock. Scales should be anything but black G10. In fact I wish Spyderco would let me pay extra for an alternative. Micarta or green or gray G10. If this knife is offered in 3D carbon fiber that would be awesome. I assume that is similar or like the Positron.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Daveho wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:45 pm
Pelagic wrote:

Really?
When I saw this photo I thought “neat a swedge on a police 4... they need to bring back the pollywog or something as it feels like the balony is getting sliced a bit thin”
I mean in what way is this knife meaningfully different to a police 4 or a Millie
No thumb ramp alone makes it quite different. That's one of the reasons I'm watching the release info for this knife closely. I've recently developed a preference for no thumb ramp, though all my favorite Spydercos seem to have them.

I've always liked the Native but it's much smaller than I want in an EDC. The Shaman is closer, but bigger would be better, and I'll take a backlock over a comp lock too.
:unicorn
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:21 pm
Daveho wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:45 pm
Pelagic wrote:

Really?
No thumb ramp alone makes it quite different. That's one of the reasons I'm watching the release info for this knife closely. I've recently developed a preference for no thumb ramp, though all my favorite Spydercos seem to have them.

I've always liked the Native but it's much smaller than I want in an EDC. The Shaman is closer, but bigger would be better, and I'll take a backlock over a comp lock too.
Ever since the Native 5, I have been leaning towards the backlock aswell. Either would be fine, but the prototype did have a backlock and I wouldn't change it for the world.

The chief was just perfect. When I picked it up, I made an audible "ahh".
It was like your meeting your hot girlfriend's smokin' hot sister. The same, but better...

-Thomas Jefferson
embry386

Post by embry386 »

That thing looks perfect. Hoping for a backlock, and gray g10 would be cool but I'd like it even better with black linerless FRN and a DLC blade. Of course that won't happen anytime soon if it happens at all, but dang... I would love to have a matching set of blackout Chiefs to go with my blackout Natives.

Any word on whether they'll be making this in serrated?
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

If it looks like that, I'd definitely be interested. It looks like it'd be a good candidate for the power lock with a blade that size.
vivi

Post by vivi »

embry386 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:15 pm
That thing looks perfect. Hoping for a backlock, and gray g10 would be cool but I'd like it even better with black linerless FRN and a DLC blade. Of course that won't happen anytime soon if it happens at all, but dang... I would love to have a matching set of blackout Chiefs to go with my blackout Natives.

Any word on whether they'll be making this in serrated?
I'd love to see a lightweight FRN version too...but this is one design I'll deal with a few extra ounces to enjoy.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

So since it was at blade does that mean it is confirmed to be happening for sure or are we still just "hoping" at this point? Is this a Golden made model I assume?
Last edited by steelcity16 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I'm still looking forward to this. I think a blurple version would make one heck of a folding knife.

I'm still not sure how I am going to get one though. The Spyderco supply seems to be drying up here in Canada, and the prices for those left on this side of the border are sobering.

Looks as though a cross border expedition will be in order.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

This would be nice to see soon.

How about a Spyderco Chief in K390?
:)
C
sal

Post by sal »

We finished the 2nd prototype and Eric is going to refine the design further. Not there yet.

sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

sal wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:22 am
We finished the 2nd prototype and Eric is going to refine the design further. Not there yet.

sal
Good news. I'll likely buy 2 of these.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?