204P Military Abuse

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Re: 204P Military Abuse

Post by kodai78 »

Great job and thank you for your service sir. I would never let that knife leave my possession if it were mine. That’s an awesome story to go with a great knife!
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Thank you (the whole thing). Glad it worked out ok and a good reminder that when the going gets tough, you use your head and the tools you have with you!
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Last edited by Bodog on Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

What's also bad, ( about being a cop anyways ) is fighting a person hopped up on PCP or whatever they do. It's like taking a hold of the devil. They will beat your *** if not careful. Back then, the PR24, was awesome. I only ever had to pull my gun twice while I was a police officer. It was an adrenaline rush for sure. ( I was very young - started when I was 20 )
Just very glad I never had to use it.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Nice work man, well done. Thanks for sharing the story.

On whether the knife is weakened by those batoning divots, like Mastiff said, it's hard to say without x-raying it. But the Charpy test, as I understand it involves the notched steel coupon being struck sideways by a heavy swinging weight. As long as you're not prying heavily, or batoning the heck out of it again, everyday cutting forces are exerted in the vertical plane, where the knife blade is at its strongest. Rounding off any sharp edges on the divots with a bit of sandpaper might help too.

Personally, I'd be inclined to just resharpen and continue to use the knife and treat the scars as a badge of honour. Got any kids? Think of how much more valuable the knife will be in their eyes, when you pass it down, compared to a pristine safe queen.

A couple of questions, Bodog, if you don't mind. How's the liner lockup after that heavy batoning? And if you had to go into that situation again, knowing what was to come, would you have chosen any other model instead?

I just got my first Millie this week, a lefty model, so I appreciated hearing about your experience.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Great story, Bodog, and great thread; thanks, all, for sharing your experiences. How times have changed! My dad was an officer, both uniformed and plain clothes, for about 30 years in the middle of the last century, and the only time I can remember his using his sidearm in line of duty was once when chasing escaped cons and trying to flatten their tires, but he spent most of his time studying crime scenes, interrogating, etc, after the fact.

As for the Millie, I'd just grind off any snags and use it as an everyday work knife. i think it's earned that position :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Bodog,

Thanks for your service. You're truly a hero.

As for your knife though, I'd still continue to use it as long as you're comfortable with it's ability to do what you need it to do . If you have any doubts, I'd retire it and keep it as sort of a trophy. I think situations like this are where you can't afford to have any lack of confidence in your equipment.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:47 pm

A couple of questions, Bodog, if you don't mind. How's the liner lockup after that heavy batoning? And if you had to go into that situation again, knowing what was to come, would you have chosen any other model instead?
1. Lockup is still good.

2. Maybe. I still carry a military so i guess i feel confident enough with the knife. Needing to use a knife in that situation is pretty rare. It also didn't require any prying.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Bodog wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:54 am
Cambertree wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:47 pm

1. Lockup is still good.

2. Maybe. I still carry a military so i guess i feel confident enough with the knife. Needing to use a knife in that situation is pretty rare. It also didn't require any prying.
Thanks! That's good to know. Good luck out there man.
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

That's an awesome story! I have a fire extinguisher in my car and of course I carry a Spyderco on me most of the time, as law permits, but don't know if I have the courage to act as you did.
Truly heroic act!
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

WorkingEdge wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:22 pm
That's an awesome story! I have a fire extinguisher in my car and of course I carry a Spyderco on me most of the time, as law permits, but don't know if I have the courage to act as you did.
Truly heroic act!
Only a rare few don't have courage to do impressive things. Some don't ever get it tested. The biggest thing is accepting that in a crap hits the fan situation making a poor decision and seeing it through is better than making no decision at all. Don't get blinded by what's in front of you.

Search OODA loop. Don't freeze up.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Nice work. Good to see the people (and the Millie) came through it ok.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Bodog wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:57 pm
So the other day i decided to baton with my exclusive run 204P Military. At the time it seemed like a good idea. In the end I wasnt disappointed though now my expensive millie has some, uh, love scars.

I was out and about doing my thing and i get a call on the radio about a vehicle accident involving two cars, possibly serious injuries. When I arrive a co-worker is screaming at the passerbys for anyone with spare fire extinguishers. One car slammed into the rear of the other, spinning the one to where it jumped into the air facing the other way and sitting on top of the other. The engine of the car on the bottom was afire directly underneath the gas tank of the truck on top. Of course, the people in the truck were trapped. A man and his son.

Considering the facts in front of me it didn't appear that we had much time to remove the people inside and maybe they'd die but I'd be damned if I let them go up in flames while I'm standing there sucking my thumb wondering what went wrong. So i kicked out the rear window while another newly arrived co-worker was trying to smash a side window with a used up extinguisher.

The thing with rear truck windows is that some of them have the rubber and plastic seals protecting a sliding area. That blocked the dad from getting out and blocked me from getting in to cut the son out. Time was ticking for them and us. I pulled my handy dandy baton out and tried to break the seals. No luck. I could tell they were at least a little flexible so a light bulb came on and i put my stupid YouTuber watching experience into action. Whipping out my military i did what any guy with a knife and a baton and a little bit of disregard for nice knives would do. I placed the edge against the seals and proceeded to whack the crap out of the blade! Yeah, just like all of those Russian YouTubers.

Now of course there was still glass that didn't conveniently remove itself when i kicked the glass out, so my million dollar edge was crunching the glass out of the way while my free aluminum baton was crunching divots into the spine of my $200 knife, all the while i was thinking "dummy, your knife is gonna break!" I know, weird things cross your mind when you're trying to pull some people out of a car that's going to explode pretty quickly.

Anyway, the knife and the baton worked and cut the window frame and seals before we died, hence my story today. My knife isn't worth anything on the secondary market now except maybe to the guys who didn't die that day.

Too long; didn't read version:
204P isn't really known as a tough steel and the military isn't "built like a tank" nor does it have ridiculous grinds or full titanium liners or anything crazy. It's a knife built right to handle crazy crap life sometimes throws at you. I can't say those people are alive because of Sal and Co., but i can say it saved my skin from being ripped open if I'd have needed to grab that window frame bare handed and pull it out.

All of God's creatures may have weapons, but only mankind has the ability to use advanced tools.

Use em like you hate em, maintain em like you love em.

Oh, and we got the fire out before it blew up. And the lockup is still solid :)
Hmmm, is this a true story or one of your tales of the same material, which earned you heaps of scorn and got you booted from BF?

How was it again - you claimed to have 'had a 1000 persons in your telescopic sight in the desert.'

Heavy hints at being an operator on deployment.

When pressed, turned out you never been to any desert abroad but meant the border between the US and Mexico and that you were a Walter Mitty type customs inspector checking for kontrabande on cargo ships with a flashlight.

For the record, Ive been deployed 'to the desert' several times over and Im not talking about the US-Mexican border.

This is a great forum and the tolerance here is to be commended but it also means certain types have (almost) free reign. Amongst them a few BF rejects.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

If you have an issue, why don't you pm me your contact info. I'll happily talk to you and if you have questions, i can answer them. I'd also be happy to give you the number to a recruiter (I'm actually a recruiter but I understand if you'd want to speak with someone else because of your obvious animosity) if you are interested in joining up with the agency i work for and doing some of the things I've done. But don't bring this forum down to the level of bladeforums just because YOU personally don't want to believe what I've said. If you doubt it so much or think it sounds unreal, by all means, put some boots on and come work with us. You'll see it's not. I believe we're hiring right now.

Oh, and as far as this specific story goes, i figured Spyderco and the people who like spyderco would appreciate hearing about a good outcome to a bad situation with a spyderco knife involved. I also thought people would like to see what a military can be capable of and that it's not always about cutting everyday things to be considered a knife's job. I did try to write the story in an interesting manner, i could have easily told the story in way that bored everyone.

I also understand why you think the way you do. Doesn't mean what I've said isn't true. So before you tear someone down you don't know, how about you actually initiate a real conversation with them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

*EDITED* TazKristi
Last edited by MacLaren on Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SpyderScout wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:26 am
Bodog wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:57 pm
So the other day i decided to baton with my exclusive run 204P Military. At the time it seemed like a good idea. In the end I wasnt disappointed though now my expensive millie has some, uh, love scars.

I was out and about doing my thing and i get a call on the radio about a vehicle accident involving two cars, possibly serious injuries. When I arrive a co-worker is screaming at the passerbys for anyone with spare fire extinguishers. One car slammed into the rear of the other, spinning the one to where it jumped into the air facing the other way and sitting on top of the other. The engine of the car on the bottom was afire directly underneath the gas tank of the truck on top. Of course, the people in the truck were trapped. A man and his son.

Considering the facts in front of me it didn't appear that we had much time to remove the people inside and maybe they'd die but I'd be damned if I let them go up in flames while I'm standing there sucking my thumb wondering what went wrong. So i kicked out the rear window while another newly arrived co-worker was trying to smash a side window with a used up extinguisher.

The thing with rear truck windows is that some of them have the rubber and plastic seals protecting a sliding area. That blocked the dad from getting out and blocked me from getting in to cut the son out. Time was ticking for them and us. I pulled my handy dandy baton out and tried to break the seals. No luck. I could tell they were at least a little flexible so a light bulb came on and i put my stupid YouTuber watching experience into action. Whipping out my military i did what any guy with a knife and a baton and a little bit of disregard for nice knives would do. I placed the edge against the seals and proceeded to whack the crap out of the blade! Yeah, just like all of those Russian YouTubers.

Now of course there was still glass that didn't conveniently remove itself when i kicked the glass out, so my million dollar edge was crunching the glass out of the way while my free aluminum baton was crunching divots into the spine of my $200 knife, all the while i was thinking "dummy, your knife is gonna break!" I know, weird things cross your mind when you're trying to pull some people out of a car that's going to explode pretty quickly.

Anyway, the knife and the baton worked and cut the window frame and seals before we died, hence my story today. My knife isn't worth anything on the secondary market now except maybe to the guys who didn't die that day.

Too long; didn't read version:
204P isn't really known as a tough steel and the military isn't "built like a tank" nor does it have ridiculous grinds or full titanium liners or anything crazy. It's a knife built right to handle crazy crap life sometimes throws at you. I can't say those people are alive because of Sal and Co., but i can say it saved my skin from being ripped open if I'd have needed to grab that window frame bare handed and pull it out.

All of God's creatures may have weapons, but only mankind has the ability to use advanced tools.

Use em like you hate em, maintain em like you love em.

Oh, and we got the fire out before it blew up. And the lockup is still solid :)
Hmmm, is this a true story or one of your tales of the same material, which earned you heaps of scorn and got you booted from BF?

How was it again - you claimed to have 'had a 1000 persons in your telescopic sight in the desert.'

When pressed, turned out you never been to any desert abroad but meant the border between the US and Mexico and that you were a Walter Mitty type customs inspector checking for kontrabande on cargo ships with a flashlight.

For the record, Ive been deployed 'to the desert' several times over and Im not talking about the US-Mexican border.

This is a great forum and the tolerance here is to be commended but it also means certain types have (almost) free reign. Amongst them a few BF rejects.
Amen.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

D**n!
Looks like there's a shiny footprint crisis going on here...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:53 am
SpyderScout wrote:

Amen.
And it is amazing how powerful of an effect the environment has on someone, even in a virtual place like a forum. Sure, we have multiple contributors on here who have been banned from BF. I can think of a couple who are active contributors who carry themselves in a positive and respectful manner on here and who offer valuable contributions. BF has a sometimes antagonistic group on there and a couple of those members who got banned were unable to resist being pulled into the fray. I have only seen one of those banned members act the same way here. Guess who?

Anyway, lets continue to set the tone of the forum by behaving the way we want others to behave and not antagonizing difficult members. The ignore function works well. ;)
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:21 am
MacLaren wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:53 am
SpyderScout wrote:

Amen.
And it is amazing how powerful of an effect the environment has on someone, even in a virtual place like a forum. Sure, we have multiple contributors on here who have been banned from BF. I can think of a couple who are active contributors who carry themselves in a positive and respectful manner on here and who offer valuable contributions. BF has a sometimes antagonistic group on there and a couple of those members who got banned were unable to resist being pulled into the fray. I have only seen one of those banned members act the same way here. Guess who?

Anyway, lets continue to set the tone of the forum by behaving the way we want others to behave and not antagonizing difficult members. The ignore function works well. ;)
Your right. Your exactly right.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Jeepers. Leave BF at BF.