Spyderco Warentee - and how good is it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cer317

Spyderco Warentee - and how good is it?

Post by cer317 »

Dear Friends,

I’m new to this forum have read up on it a few times, but this is my first post. My question is HOW GOOD IS SPYDERCO’S WARENTEE & REPAIRS Department? I’m having an issue getting Spyderco customer service to help me. I have about 13 Spyderco knives (I do like them) the one I’m having problems with is the Domino titanium frame lock with the blue weave carbon fiber in CTS-XHP. I purchased the knife in 2016 from Blade HQ. I have carried it maybe a hand full of times, the blade is still razor sharp from factory. I have, however, played with the knife while hanging around the house flipping it open possibly over 1000 times. I recently began to notice that the blade was becoming more and more off centered. No blade play up/down or side to side, just off centered. So to make a long story short I tried to adjust the pivot screw in efforts to center the blade and yes I stripped the darn screw! I contacted Spyderco and explained this. They responded by asking for pictures of the knife, screws and blade (which I provided). They also said I needed to include something like $20 so they can reprofile the blade! Hellooo am I missing something here? I need the screws replaced and blade centered that’s IT! I responded a bit upset at their last email and it’s been over a week and they won’t reply to me. If I have to pay for stripping the pivot screw fine, but just tell me what to do so my knife can be sent in and repaired? Sorry for the long post, but I just needed to vent my frustration. Any suggestions are very well taken. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Oh one last thing, please share any similar experiences you may have had with their warentee and repairs services.
sal

Re: Spyderco Warentee - and how good is it?

Post by sal »

Hi Cer,

Welcome to our forum and sorry for our frustration. Also sorry that your first post was a complaint. with this being the 4th of July week, I'm guessing that Customer service is pretty busy (days off). Having the knife in our possession makes it easier to repair. We find that often the customers evaluation of what is wrong is not complete.

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Welcome to the forum! :)

I’m sure the good people at Spyderco will fix your knife if you haven’t worn it out by opening and closing it.

For what it’s worth sending anyone mail when you’re upset is probably not a good idea and you’ll likely find you’ll catch more flies with sugar than you will with vinegar. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
cer317

Post by cer317 »

Thanks for the replies. I totally understand the 4th and I’ll catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar, but it’s been over 2 weeks Since my first email was sent to Spyderco. I highly doubt that knife is not anywhere near being worn although I’ve had days specially on NFL Sunday’s that I’ll flip that thing the entire day while watching games. I also have the Domino’s little bro the Dice and have flipped that thing just as much or possibly more just because the action is smoother on my Dice and no issues there. That Dice still looks like the first day I purchased it. Anyhow, hope to hear from warentee soon so I can send in the Domino and get that bad boy healthy again and back home. Thanks again guys!!
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Cer, welcome to the fourm! Bloke is right, I try not to hit send when angry or inebriated :D .
Customer sevice has always been good to me. That being said the Spyderco warranty is fair especially in todays litigious atmosphere. I have a Domino to and it's an excellent knife. Hope everything gets worked out. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I would send the knife with $20 and wait until they do what needs to be done. Your notion of what that is may not be accurate.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That's what I would suggest also. They will probably need to drill the stripped screw out, and there is a fee for that. I don't think it is a warranty issue, but rather a repair issue. I would also enclose $5 for return shipping.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

First of all, welcome to the Spyderco forum, the best knife forum in existence. Second, I think sal's answer was best but also that of Michael. As a very satisfied customer of Spyderco for some years, I will tell you first hand that their service is the best that I have experienced from knife producers/manufacturers.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

The warranty itself seems good but the logistics are woeful- if you live in the States it’s fine but elsewhere in the world it comes down to your postal carrier as it needs to go back to the states.
cer317

Post by cer317 »

Thanks for all your feedback guys. It’s been very useful to me.
Bruce Mack

Post by Bruce Mack »

I had a quick and courteous response with action taken on my warranty complaint.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

please share any similar experiences you may have had with their warentee and repairs services.
Spyderco's warranty is good as is their service. It's a great company. My best advice to you is have patience and follow through with clear communications answering whatever questions they have even if you don't understand why they are asked. This may be a lot to ask from someone who is obviously pretty OC but it is what you need to get things sorted out. What you are asking is pretty simple so don't stress out. As Sal stated the holiday week slows things down . Give them a reasonable chance before you go assuming the worst.

Joe
Crux

Post by Crux »

*EDITED - Political comments and profanity violate forum rules. Please review the forum rules above*
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Crux wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:39 am
*EDITED - Political comments and profanity violate forum rules. Please review the forum rules above*
Yeah I’m a few drinks in myself.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I wish I was too, maybe that would make more sense.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:19 am
I wish I was too, maybe that would make more sense.
To be fair sometimes I rant on spyderco after a few- this time I made a disproportionately large fire and cooked 4 lamb chops.

Then drank more beers.
10/10 would recommend
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Crux wrote:
*EDITED* - TazKristi
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

Daveho wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:10 am
Crux wrote:
Yeah I’m a few drinks in myself.
Hah-hah good one. Thank goodness you cleared that up. I honestly thought I was having a stroke.