Not Enough Love for The Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dreadpirate

Not Enough Love for The Stretch

Post by dreadpirate »

Just a great all round knife for work.

Evil D

Re: Not Enough Love for The Stretch

Post by Evil D »

I think it's the best model coming out of Japan (of the typical FRN Seki models). I wish they'd make a SE/H1 Salt version and maybe a slightly bigger version.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

There's enough. The model in this range that doesn't get enough love is the R, which is about the same size as the stretch, but follows the Delica more closely shape-wise. It's below the stretch:

Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I’ve never actually held one
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Definitely not enough love for the Stretch. I also agree strongly that there is not enough love for the R model. Between the Stretch and the R model I dont really carry my Para2s anymore and they are just sitting in their boxes.

We need a Stretch with a straight spine and we need a G10 R model with an upgraded steel.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Big slicer. Not a Police, but big enough. Well-built, with a graceful blade-shape. And, as some guy said, it’s a “tough hombre”. What’s not to love?

I have two Stretches (VG10 and ZDP189) and the G10 Stretch2 sprint (ZDP189).

I think I prefer the Stretch2’s new lines a bit more. When the next Stretch2 comes out in a steel other than VG10 or ZDP189, and one that is not cladded (gave away my SB Stretch; uneven grind lines drove me mad), I’ll be on it.

I’m not familiar with the R. What recommends it?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

If tgey would put out another hap40 stretch2 or a serrated stretch 2 I will jump on that.

Personally, I feel like the centofonte 3 gets the least love.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

The Stretch is one of my favorites, great work knife and I think the size is perfect. It carries a lot smaller than you'd think too. I just picked up a Superblue Stretch recently after trying to find one for a while.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I love the Stretch! Its another model I'd consider a "sleeper" just from how little you hear it being talked about compared to the Delica and Endura. The ergos are phenomenal and its one **** of a slicer! Definitely a performer!
-Nick :bug-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Darby,

We have an "experimental" straight spine Stretch in-the-works. We believe the "not enough love" for the model has been caused by either the drop point blade shape of the finger-choil. The Straight spine model still employs a finger-choil so it will narrow the concerns.

sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Love the stretch! The best ergos and most useful size of any of the Japan frn line IMHO. Count me as one who doesn’t really care for the rounded drop point though. It was enough to put me off buying one for awhile but I finally pulled the trigger a few years ago on the hap40 and fell in love with the design. I took care of the tip myself. With a little imagination, this should give an idea of what a straight spine stretch would look like. I will be a buyer for sure!

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:30 pm
I think it's the best model coming out of Japan (of the typical FRN Seki models). I wish they'd make a SE/H1 Salt version and maybe a slightly bigger version.
:)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:35 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:30 pm
:)

The H1 Salt Stretch sounds good to me. As does a Mini Stretch Salt.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The choil is the thing that bothers me most, though I’m happy with this model overall. It’s just a little nerve racking to put your finger there since it’s such a shallow choil.

Apart from that, at $95 street price it’s got quite a bit of competition even though it’s on of spyderco’s better designs.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zhyla,

That's pne of the reasons I redesigned the model, modified the tooling, went through the additional expense and made the Stretch 2. Deeper finger choil, slightly longer handle with the "tail" or "butt" of the handle modified as well.

sal
tangent

Post by tangent »

Hey Sal...I wonder how a salt model might fare..? It seems like a decent hunting/fishing design, so a salt model might be very practical for a lot of folks (LC200N).
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:56 pm
I love the Stretch! Its another model I'd consider a "sleeper" just from how little you hear it being talked about compared to the Delica and Endura. The ergos are phenomenal and its one **** of a slicer! Definitely a performer!
YES! Exactly.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Under appreciated for certain. I had one a few years back, second hand from a good eBay seller. I did not appreciate it then. I suspect the Stretch 2 is even more “sneaky great” as my son would say. As much as I like all of the elements and fine construction of the PM2 if I ever decide to get a bigger knife to use and carry frequently it would be a straight spine Stretch. I like choils.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:07 pm
I’ve never actually held one
I know your thinking about buying a PM2 but they’re not going anywhere and will be around for ever.

At under $US100 the V-Toku2 Stretch is a steal and perhaps worth consideration. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm torn on the spine issue. I do prefer a straight spine but it's also a defining characteristic of this model. It seems kinda like sacrilege to change it. I'm all about a Salt version though, straight spine or not.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David