Crossbreed IWB Horsehide holster

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
murphjd25

Crossbreed IWB Horsehide holster

Post by murphjd25 »

Anyone have one of these? I just ordered one from there website, sounds like it's pretty BA and every review I've read has been awesome. I hope I like it, im pretty optimistic this will probably be the most comfortable holster I have.

Josh
The Deacon

Re: Crossbreed IWB Horsehide holster

Post by The Deacon »

Don't have one of those but, assuming the cant and ride height can be adjusted, it looks a lot like the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck holster. Have used one of those, left handed, with my J-Frames and it's quite comfortable riding at 8 o'clock.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

They say the cant and ride height is fully adjustable. I really like the fact they have a 2 week try it out or return it period and a lifetime warranty, and it's made here. I'm looking to carry right hand at 4 o'clock. Hopefully this ends my never ending holster buying habit. Now we wait :)
Josh
remnar

Post by remnar »

I have one for my LCR. It is about as comfortable inside the waistband as a holster can be, I suppose. It is a very good holster but will probably need some breaking in to form to your body. That horse hide is some stiff stuff. I also had to trim the top portion of the leather to keep it from jabbing me under the ribs. My only complaint would be about how difficult it is to put on. It isn't very easy to just slide it into your pants. It takes a little wrangling to get it clipped in the right place, but once it's there it stays put.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

remnar wrote:I have one for my LCR. It is about as comfortable inside the waistband as a holster can be, I suppose. It is a very good holster but will probably need some breaking in to form to your body. That horse hide is some stiff stuff. I also had to trim the top portion of the leather to keep it from jabbing me under the ribs. My only complaint would be about how difficult it is to put on. It isn't very easy to just slide it into your pants. It takes a little wrangling to get it clipped in the right place, but once it's there it stays put.
Interesting. I can't wait to try it out!
Josh
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, if you want opinions...

I'd send it back and get yourself a Stealth Gear. They've changed their lineup names, the holster model I use was called the Onyx. Now they're just calling them Ventcore holsters and you have two sizes to choose from, the IWB Mini and IWB Standard, the Standard being what used to be the Onyx.

The reason this is, in my opinion, a far better option than anything leather, is because it breathes. The Ventcore material they use in place of leather is perforated and lets your skin get air, whereas any kind of leather is going to make you sweat and absorb your sweat. The last thing you want is a square foot of leather stuck to your hip on a hot summer day.

I did a LOT of research and I've checked out pretty much ever IWB holster design on the market. I own a Stealth Gear for every gun I carry (3). They're not the cheapest, but they have a lifetime warranty and I've carried mine daily for a solid year now (and I do mean daily, religiously) and apart from breaking in and forming some creases, they still look new.

http://stealthgearusa.com/holsters/sgus ... 23-32.html

Here's my Shield in one..

Here it is concealed..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Evil D wrote:Well, if you want opinions...

I'd send it back and get yourself a Stealth Gear. They've changed their lineup names, the holster model I use was called the Onyx. Now they're just calling them Ventcore holsters and you have two sizes to choose from, the IWB Mini and IWB Standard, the Standard being what used to be the Onyx.

The reason this is, in my opinion, a far better option than anything leather, is because it breathes. The Ventcore material they use in place of leather is perforated and lets your skin get air, whereas any kind of leather is going to make you sweat and absorb your sweat. The last thing you want is a square foot of leather stuck to your hip on a hot summer day.

I did a LOT of research and I've checked out pretty much ever IWB holster design on the market. I own a Stealth Gear for every gun I carry (3). They're not the cheapest, but they have a lifetime warranty and I've carried mine daily for a solid year now (and I do mean daily, religiously) and apart from breaking in and forming some creases, they still look new.

http://stealthgearusa.com/holsters/sgus ... 23-32.html

Here's my Shield in one..

Here it is concealed..
Thats looks **** good too. I'm gonna give this a shot since I have 2 weeks to try it no questions asked but if doesn't work out I am defintly ordering one of those.
Josh
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

murphjd25 wrote:
Thats looks **** good too. I'm gonna give this a shot since I have 2 weeks to try it no questions asked but if doesn't work out I am defintly ordering one of those.

Honestly the only down side is it takes like 45 days to get one because they're made to order. It's a long wait but well worth it. I carry a 19 everywhere I go and I literally do forget I'm wearing it. Everyone throws that saying around but it's the truth with this one especially with smaller and lighter guns like the Shield or Glock 43.
~David
gac

Post by gac »

I ended up on the mail list of Greg Ellifritz who runs a training school, Active Response Training, in Ohio. I have never used a hybrid holster but he recommends against them. As a trainer he sees a lot of gear that works or doesn't so I presume he speaks from experience. He this warning about them:

• Hybrid holsters like the Alien Gear or Crossbreed often cause problems as they age. They may be comfortable initially, but I haven’t had many students wear them successfully on a daily basis for a long time. If you are carrying IWB, I would generally recommend and all-leather or all-kydex holster, not a hybrid.

He links to a couple things he wrote about the style of holster. Article One http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/d ... rig-part-3

I’ve written about hybrid holsters before. I don’t like them at all. While they may be comfortable, I’ve seen significant problems with them in my training classes. The hybrids that use some type of neoprene backing will occasionally “lock up” when the shooter is trying to draw. The neoprene is so flexible that pressure from the body pushes through the backer and collapses it up against the gun. The pressure from the shooter’s own fat or muscle tissue drives the gun into the kydex shell and makes it difficult to draw under stress or when shooters attempt to draw while moving.

and Two http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/f ... wb-holster
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, what he's saying makes sense, but that's also why they're adjustable. You don't adjust retention for when the holster/gun are in your hands, you put the holster on and check retention with your belt on like you'll always have it. My biggest issue with all leather is how difficult reholstering is even with a metal rim holding the top open.

I may not be a "student" but I've worn mine religiously for a year straight. Maybe if he's pushing his opinion onto his students that could be why they're switching.
~David
remnar

Post by remnar »

Disclaimer: I am not a professional gunfighter nor do I play one on TV.

What I can say from personal experience with the Crossbreed is that it is well made, comfortable and I have had no issues whatsoever with drawing or reholstering once it was broken in. I also do not have a problem with the leather making me sweat too much, but that could be more of a personal thing. I actually own two Crossbreed holsters. The second is a single clip design and I would not recommend buying one. The weight of the gun tends to make the holster rotate a little which effects the cant and height of the pistol. There is not a lot of rotation but it is something that you need to be aware of and the two-clip design eliminates the problem altogether. There are now many similar holsters on the market and I'm sure some are just as good or better than the Crossbreed, but I'd at least use that trial period that they give you to make up your own mind before sending it back.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

My holster came in today. I have to say I think I found the perfect holster. It is very comfortable, and I can sit down and stand up and don't even notice it's there! This is the first holster I've had that I can sit down and feel so great. The horse hide is very well done too. I can only see it getting better with break in. I will be keeping this one it's a real winner!!
Josh
Shaunwialliam

Post by Shaunwialliam »

Well, IWB Holster is one of the best holster. Solidgear is one of the best provider the high quality holsters that gives you comfort when Concealment Express IWB KYDEX Holster is adjustable to 15 degrees hence you can comfortably adjust it to your liking and the position you want.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Everyone who carries regularly has a box of holsters in the closet. Why? Most prove unsatisfactory after using them for a while. I think that beyond the required attributes: security, safety, concealment and access, a holster only suits particular people. I have used and reviewed many different types and makes. I don’t like hybrids for reasons already stated. I like light, simple, secure and accessible for IWB. I prefer kydex pjholsters and see no reason to change. I carried a larger 9mm for years under a t-shirt in the summer with no discomfort or printing. I can’t see the need for all the leather, neoprene, screws and clips when one simple piece of kydex will do the job.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.