How can you like FRN but hate FRCP?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

How can you like FRN but hate FRCP?

Post by vivi »

I've seen this opinion expressed numerous times on this forum and I'm confused by it.

As I understand it, both are injection molded handles formed out of a type of fiber reinforced plastic. The texture they're given depends on the mold and not the base material.

In practical use I have never been able to tell a functional difference between my mini manix lightweights handle material, and the material used in the handle of my Pacific Salt.

Which begs the question, how does one develop such drastically different views on such similar materials?
:unicorn
tvenuto

Re: How can you like FRN but hate FRCP?

Post by tvenuto »

People are, in general, given over to irrational conclusions based on limited data. Often a single failure or purported failure is referenced repeatedly out of context, and the story starts to migrate. That being said, I do think that subtle differences in “feel” can definitely affect someone’s impression of quality. I know that car manufacturers spend a decent amount of time on textures of interior materials as well as the feel of the buttons. All things that have little to no “functional” significance. I really like Spyderco’s execution of their bidirectional texture on the FRN handles, and although it’s not the flashiest material I think it’s great in use. Maybe my forum native is FRCP? If so I don’t perceive a meaningful difference between the two.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think it is because of the feel. The Japanese FRN feels much better in the hand. It is a bit softer and perhaps warmer (if that conveys anything). FRCP, as we have it, is harder to the feel. It is more plasticy feeling, if you know what I mean. I do not hate it, but going by feel alone I would rather have FRN. Going by practicality, either is just fine by me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Didn't Sal say at one point that FRCP was actually stronger?

Edit. Found it...

From BF regarding FRN vs FRCP:

Hi Powernoodle,

The CP is new, and offers more of what we want in a knife. It's tougher, stronger, has more color capability and is not significantly more expensive.

In fact the strength was surprising when we broke the light weight Manix. I have a black one in my pocket right now. We'll use the same material for the light weight Native 5.

sal

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/mr- ... t-11995448
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Simply put, FRN feels like nylon to me while FRCP feels more like plastic. Maybe it's the texture?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I really can't tell the difference, personally.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:57 am
Simply put, FRN feels like nylon to me while FRCP feels more like plastic. Maybe it's the texture?
i would agree with this, but they feel very similar. i think the bigger difference is shape rather than material. if the golden models had rounded edges like the seki models, people probably wouldn’t notice or care as much. both are fine.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

It may be the difference in texturing that they use on the FRCP handles.

Interesting that Sal (quoted above) said they would use FRCP on the Native 5 but that didn’t happen.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

tvenuto wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:09 am
Often a single failure or purported failure is referenced repeatedly out of context, and the story starts to migrate.
Or an actual failure is a failure when FRN hasn't and doesn't fail ?

Just look at the FRN thread, photos of both the others (G10+FRCP) with "chips" from being dropped
and admission that FRN doesn't chip when dropped exactly the same.

I think I was the only one to post a"bad" photo of a dog Chewed FRN handle.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:57 am
I still think the difference in feeling is simply the difference in the finish of the molds that are used. Again last night, after reading this thread, I got out a few Manix 2 LWs and compared with my Native 5 LWs and they feel identical. Then I felt some Japanese FRN knives and they felt a little softer and I'm sure it's because of the surface finish.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:25 am
Didn't Sal say at one point that FRCP was actually stronger?

Edit. Found it...

From BF regarding FRN vs FRCP:

Hi Powernoodle,

The CP is new, and offers more of what we want in a knife. It's tougher, stronger, has more color capability and is not significantly more expensive.

In fact the strength was surprising when we broke the light weight Manix. I have a black one in my pocket right now. We'll use the same material for the light weight Native 5.

sal

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/mr- ... t-11995448

So is the Native LW FRN or FRCP? The catalog says that the Native is FRN and the Manix is FRCP. The Native FRN does feel a lot different than the Japanese FRN to me, and I feel like the Japanese FRN dents where I've seen chips in the Native FRN and Manix FRCP. I've shied away from the Manix LW due to a lot of negativity around the FRCP, but I may grab a Maxamet version to try it for myself and see what all the fuss it about, and compare it to the FRN on my Native. My preference as it stands would be to see all models use the same formula and texture FRN that is used in the Japan models. That is my favorite and I carry FRN models pretty much exclusivly in the summer, then go back to G10 when I am wearing heavier jeans that can support the extra weight. Hence my need for a FRN LW Native and LW Manix in Cruwear (or 4V or 3V).
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

FRN feels grippy. FRCP feels slicker than snot on a doorknob. FRN is very tough. FRCP will chip a lot easier. FRN has less letters to remember. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Anyone covered an FRCP handle in blood/guts ?

Any difference between the two ?

(I know what FRN is like when like that).
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Biggest difference for me is really the texture printed in the plastic, my original Native FRN is much flatter but my LW Manix 2 has a sharper texturing. The Manix took some getting used to.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I like both. However, the Manix and Native seem to have sharper/square molded edges around the circumference of the handle. A little more rounding of the molded edges would make them significantly more comfortable in hand.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have used FRCP and FRN when wet. The FRCP is a bit slicker, but do not see this as my saying it is slippery. That bi-directional texturing is amazing. I have seen some broken FRN knives on the net but only one FRCP, and that one was suspicious. I take Sal at his word on the toughness/strength of FRCP.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I hardly use my 110V Manix because it’s slippery. It’s not my imagination. It’s slippery.
- best wishes, Jazz.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:56 pm
I have used FRCP and FRN when wet. The FRCP is a bit slicker, but do not see this as my saying it is slippery. That bi-directional texturing is amazing. I have seen some broken FRN knives on the net but only one FRCP, and that one was suspicious. I take Sal at his word on the toughness/strength of FRCP.
Broken in what way ?

Broken clips or broken handles ?
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:00 am
I've seen this opinion expressed numerous times on this forum and I'm confused by it.
I haven't noticed a big aversion to FRCP. I'm carrying an orange LW Manix 2 right now, in use I can't tell the difference between FRN and FRCP although I believe there are differences in the manufacturing process. I haven't made up my mind regarding the translucent FRCP used in some Spyderco models.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Frn is toguher for drops and stuff. Frcp seems to have better rigidity but it's brittle. It chips out instead of bouncing like frn. I carry an frn and frcp knife almost everyday though.