New Mules coming?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: New Mules coming?

Post by TomAiello »

I actually own multiples of almost all the recent mules (everything that's been released since I started following them). I'd definitely be even more interested in a folding mule platform. Running folding mules in an "everywhere EDC friendly" format (like UKPK or Urban) would be a great way to let more people try them out.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have been watching for a new mule. And watching, and watching ....

I discovered the Mule project late and have usually been buying two of each blade that comes along. I haven't heard any official statement from Spyderco that the project has been abandoned. I guess it is reasonable though to notice that several of the latest mules have not sold out. And it is surprising, the steels that are still available are great steels, especially the PM A11, but PD1 is essentially Cruwear, and 20CV is essentially M390. B70P is the only odd bird.

But maybe there are only so many nut cases and they all have 20+ mules and have their belly full. As for me, I missed a whole bunch of interesting early mules and regret it. I like the size and use one (currently LC200N) almost every day. It is essentially a Manix 2 blade shape. It makes for a bit of a small fixed blade, but I find it plenty useful.

So I hope the project is not dead. I am itching for a REX 45 mule.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

We are seeing the other side of the mule issue. Before there were fewer mules and a lot of re-selling and profiteering but they sold out quickly (minutes). Try to find a 52100 or super blue. The complaints went through and they increased the numbers but now there is a glut and things have slowed. I'm for reducing numbers but we can't have it both ways.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have eight different Mules and love them. If anything I wish they were bigger. They are basically a scaled down Twmperance2 and I wish they were the size of the Temp2.

I need to pick up an A11 Mule before they get hard to come by.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I'm fine with the mule team program. When new mules happen, great.

Until then, I can wait.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Skidoosh wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:23 am
... they sold out quickly (minutes)...

No. Try weeks, not minutes. Months for most of them. One Mule sold out in a day or two and that was because it got released at the same time as a popular PM2 and lots of folks buying those added a Mule on for fun. That surprised everyone.

Skidoosh wrote:
The complaints went through and they increased the numbers but now there is a glut and things have slowed. I'm for reducing numbers but we can't have it both ways.

I don't remember any of that, but it's easy to check. Certainly the complaints part is revisionist history. Unless these were private complaints and you have insider information. I do remember that the number of 8Cr13MoV mules was 1000, double the standard run at the time. I bought a couple for experimenting with different handle shapes since they were only $20 and easy to grind ...
Nate

Post by Nate »

gaj999 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:36 am
No. Try weeks, not minutes. Months for most of them. One Mule sold out in a day or two and that was because it got released at the same time as a popular PM2 and lots of folks buying those added a Mule on for fun. That surprised everyone.

It was K390 and the 2013 Forum Native, although I believe the S110V sold at a good clip as well. K390 Mule Oversold

I don't remember any of that, but it's easy to check. Certainly the complaints part is revisionist history. Unless these were private complaints and you have insider information. I do remember that the number of 8Cr13MoV mules was 1000, double the standard run at the time. I bought a couple for experimenting with different handle shapes since they were only $20 and easy to grind ...

It is easy to check. I don't think it's revisionist history. Mule Team flipping
:spyder:
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Nate wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:20 am
It is easy to check. I don't think it's revisionist history. Mule Team flipping
Not the flipping, but the complaining and the increased run size.

Edited to add: I guess I did say that in my post. Maybe it needs the repetition ...
Last edited by gaj999 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

No new Mule Teams planned at this time.

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Still need to pick up one of these....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Nate

Post by Nate »

gaj999 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:25 am
Not the flipping, but the complaining and the increased run size.

Edited to add: I guess I did say that in my post. Maybe it needs the repetition ...

I'm not sure what you're disputing, a 20 page thread about the "flipping problem" isn't complaining? I'm not sure if Spyderco increased run sizes or not, but they certainly appear have begun releasing Mules more frequently some time after that discussion.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Nate wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:42 am
I'm not sure what you're disputing, a 20 page thread about the "flipping problem" isn't complaining? I'm not sure if Spyderco increased run sizes or not, but they certainly appear have begun releasing Mules more frequently some time after that discussion.
Where in my post did I mention flipping?
Nate

Post by Nate »

gaj999 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:52 am
Where in my post did I mention flipping?

Here is the full post by Skidoosh that you initially replied to:

Skidoosh wrote:
We are seeing the other side of the mule issue. Before there were fewer mules and a lot of re-selling and profiteering but they sold out quickly (minutes). Try to find a 52100 or super blue. The complaints went through and they increased the numbers but now there is a glut and things have slowed. I'm for reducing numbers but we can't have it both ways.

Again, I'm not sure what you're disputing. The complaints that Skidoosh referenced (and that you appear to claim don't exist or require insider information to know about, :confused:) were about mules being bought up in quantity by flippers to re-sell, as evidenced by the 20 page thread linked above. This is starting to feel like a giant waste of time though, so feel free to carry on in your own orbit with whatever you want to believe.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Nate wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:12 am
Again, I'm not sure what you're disputing.
I get that. I'll try one more time.
Skidoosh wrote:
... they sold out quickly (minutes) ... The complaints went through and they increased the numbers ...
If you can show me actual support for the above being true, I'd like to see it. I'd even admit I'm wrong. I was following the program and buying all the Mules during that time period, starting with MT1. My memory might be crap, but I don't remember anything like he described. There were plenty of Mules for any who wanted one until that simultaneous PM2 release debacle ...
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I'm sad I'm late to the mule knives, I just got my PMA11 blade a few months ago and I love it. If I hadn't just lost my job and was trying to buy the other 20 knives spyderco released in the last 2 months I'd probably have more haha
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Nate

Post by Nate »

gaj999 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:32 am
If you can show me actual support for the above being true, I'd like to see it. I'd even admit I'm wrong. I was following the program and buying all the Mules during that time period, starting with MT1. My memory might be crap, but I don't remember anything like he described. There were plenty of Mules for any who wanted one until that simultaneous PM2 release debacle ...

I'll try one more time too:
Nate wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:20 am
It was K390 and the 2013 Forum Native [not a pm2], although I believe the S110V sold at a good clip as well. K390 Mule Oversold

Here's a quote from you in that thread:

gaj999 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm
ABX2011 wrote:Wow, those sold fast. Eagerly awaiting the next Mule.
Kind of surprising. I don't recall any others that went so quickly. I wonder if it was the specific steel, increasing popularity of the program, or the relatively long Mule drought. Or maybe it was the simultaneous release of the Forum knife that got folks to throw in a Mule since the shipping was already covered.

Gordon

I didn't make the claim that they sold out in minutes, but the K390 mule sold out very fast, even you were surprised. Skidoosh may have exaggerated a bit in his post, but ppl were upset about it, complained, and blamed flippers (rightly or wrongly).
Last edited by Nate on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

gaj999 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:36 am
Certainly the complaints part is revisionist history. Unless these were private complaints and you have insider information.
I remember tons of people complaining. There was limited availability (limit 2 per customer) but profiteers were taking advantage and buying stacks, which they showed in their eBay listing photos (literally stacks of 10 or 12 knives were photographed), when they flipped them (very quickly) at substantial price increases.
supracor

Post by supracor »

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:26 am
No new Mule Teams planned at this time.

sal
Thanx much :)
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Nate wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:49 am
I didn't make the claim that they sold out in minutes, but the K390 mule sold out very fast, even you were surprised. Skidoosh may have exaggerated a bit in his post, but ppl were upset about it, complained, and blamed flippers (rightly or wrongly).
Yes, K390 sold out quickly. In days, not minutes. But we've already talked about why - there was a highly coveted PM2 released at the same time and there was a lot of WTF, why not? buying going on. Other than that run, it was not a problem finding a Mule weeks after release. And yes, flippers are scum and people love to hate them, pages and pages worth, whether or not the problem is real ...
Nate wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:49 am
Skidoosh may have exaggerated a bit in his post...
You nailed it. That's my complaint.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The S110V and Maxamet Mules sold well.

A11 is a lot like K390 and I am surprised it is moving slow.

I think Mules in Vanax, HAP72 or Rex121 would all sell well.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?