Do you ever wish you only had 1 knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: Do you ever wish you only had 1 knife?

Post by abbazaba »

My tastes have definitely changed (evolved?) over the years... I carried a BM 330 for years exclusively that I received as a gift. This was my one knife. It was my nicest knife and invisible in the pocket. I think that's I why I connected with the Dragonfly (my first Spyderco), and then the Bugout recently. Knowing that the BM 330 did everything I required as my only EDC for well over a decade, I'd have no problem going back to only one knife. But what fun is that!? :)

I've been limiting myself to a few knifes I brought on a camping trip recently, leaving the others in the safe. Even though I've thought about them a few times, It's been pretty painless. Basically the PM2 and Bugout fill both the roles I desire.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yes my bank account wishes I only had one knife
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
cesma

Post by cesma »

Yes, crkt crossbone....the perfect knife at the moment.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:21 am
Yes my bank account wishes I only had one knife
Haha! Yep!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

cesma wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:31 pm
Yes, crkt crossbone....the perfect knife at the moment.
I've been rather unimpressed with crkt's 8cr13mov. Everything's ok until you need to cut something abrasion resistant. It seems to blunt much more quickly than spyderco's.

I can't just own one knife. I could get by with 2 though. Hypothetically, I'd like a PM2 XL (or military with full liners and a compression lock) in Cruwear, as well as a regular pm2 (or another pm2 XL) in Rex 121 or maxamet. I enjoy the pm2 for edc over the military but occasionally need a 4" blade. If I had only 1 blade, I would have a stronger need for toughness/apex stability over incredible edge retention, but I would certainly wish I had a knife with incredible edge retention as well.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I’d love to own just one knife-
Currently the closest thing I have come across is the WE 809 Practic but even that has its issues
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

There is no way of having one knife for me. At a minimum I would need 1 of each blade type like spear, wharncliffe, sheepsfoot etc. Just like the screw driver, pliers and sockets I have different sizes.
Then there is garage and yardwork, camping, fishing, going to the beach, church, work or wherever... .

I have over 100 knives and never sold one. Guess I'm a hoarder or collector. Sigh, the Endura Toku 2 and Pm2 CRUWEAR is in the mail. If the SHTF I would have things to barter with. :rolleyes:
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Could never own just one knife, do too many varied tasks. Endura SE has done me well (not saying it's the best EDC) but will always need a fixed blade when fishing/hunting involved.

I reckon I could get away with 2-3 knives if I really had to.

Agree re bank accounts would benefit from less knives !
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I'm shooting for one EDC knife ( Dragonfly) and a multitool (Alox Pioneer). I went crazy with flashlights for a while and have whittled that down to one currently as well. My mindset ought to be to get a knife and use it and not worry about it. Lately I've been concerned with having the right knife and or backups and is it strong enough for this or that and on and on. If somehow I managed to break the Dragonfly, which I don't see happening, then I'd reevaluate and ask myself if I need a more stout EDC knife.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

40mm

I showed someone a photo of the Black Salt SE
(Who knows I carry and use an Endura SE), they said 'Very nice' !, it was definitely a 'me' knife! Lol

Re above post

1 EDC - for me Endura / PAC Salt SE
1 skinning/filleting/camp knife
1 multi tool if and when I find one.
Last edited by 500Nitro on Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

NICE!! I'm glad it'll get the use it deserves. That's pretty much why I bumped this thread. I want to give my knife the use it deserves!
500Nitro wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:04 pm
40mm

I showed someone a photo of the Black Salt,
(Who knows I carry and use and Endura), they said 'Very nice' !, it was definitely a 'me' knife! Lol
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I’m working on reducing the pile but when I do the watch pile seems to grow
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I blame most of you for my ongoing collection! All these pics of amazing knives, turn into "I must have that". Owning 1 knife will likely never happen unless we fall on some hard times and I'm forced to sell them.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Good question, but NOPE. That said, if I had bought my PM2 52100 before any of my others I may not have bought many or any more. It’s just a razor-sharp jewel; I may have to marry it one day 😂
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have never wished I had only one knife, but I am keeping my so-called collection minimal. I agree with the others who have stated that knives occupy different categorical areas. I find that smaller knives are the most useful to me now, excepting in the kitchen where I have appropriate blades. The two I am carrying most of the time are the Rhino and the UKPK. Similar in many ways but I like them both. I suppose I should really carry one PE and one SE, but that may not happen.

I have sentimental attachments to my One-Eyed Jack and my old, old Buck 112 so those will stay regardless. So, I guess three knives would be my irreducible minimum.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

David, actually, sometimes I have wished that I could somehow magically transform all of my knives into one model, such as an Endura. But then I like the other features on the other ones, too.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Luckily I got out of my watch phase rather early on. I only have one, a G shock 5600e and I love it. Daveho the Ambitious you used to post about is the kind of stuff I gravitate to. The one knife you had before you got into knives and found out you needed a different one! That thing looks well used, has a custom clip, and probably treated you right. quote=Daveho post_id=1243940 time=1530563599 user_id=32056]
I’m working on reducing the pile but when I do the watch pile seems to grow
[/quote]
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I missed this thread when it originally was rolling and am glad to have it come alive and to read all of these comments. I'm amazed how often I see eye to eye with David.

I don't think David is talking about finding the one ultimate knife, but just noticing the lack of "connection" when you have a bunch of knives. One of the best things I can compare it to is "my truck". I have a connection with my truck, I don't have a collection of trucks, and I keep vehicles until the wheels fall off. I have quite a few knives though, and don't have that connection. When I was young and impoverished, just having one knife would have been it, and most likely it would have been nothing special, but it would have been "my knife". But it was never like that.

But I'm not going to make any effort to prune down my knives in an effort to be knife monogamous. I have a lot of knives and enjoy them all for all kinds of reasons. I am glad that I have the means to indulge myself in the way I do. I should take inventory -- and then maybe frighten myself by totaling up how much I have invested.

Like David, I don't sell things. I don't like doing it, I'm not good at it, and it isn't really necessary. And I am sure what he says is true. I would get low-balled and would be virtually giving them away -- so what's the point. I'll keep them and enjoy them and use them, that is why I got them in the first place.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Tom I think you hit it square on the head. Connection. Think I’ll try to mellow out and not worry that I have a handful of pocket knives and just enjoy the ones I have. A few extra means if I lose one I’m still good, or can gift one away of the opportunity arises. Great perspective.
Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:55 pm
I missed this thread when it originally was rolling and am glad to have it come alive and to read all of these comments. I'm amazed how often I see eye to eye with David.

I don't think David is talking about finding the one ultimate knife, but just noticing the lack of "connection" when you have a bunch of knives. One of the best things I can compare it to is "my truck". I have a connection with my truck, I don't have a collection of trucks, and I keep vehicles until the wheels fall off. I have quite a few knives though, and don't have that connection. When I was young and impoverished, just having one knife would have been it, and most likely it would have been nothing special, but it would have been "my knife". But it was never like that.

But I'm not going to make any effort to prune down my knives in an effort to be knife monogamous. I have a lot of knives and enjoy them all for all kinds of reasons. I am glad that I have the means to indulge myself in the way I do. I should take inventory -- and then maybe frighten myself by totaling up how much I have invested.

Like David, I don't sell things. I don't like doing it, I'm not good at it, and it isn't really necessary. And I am sure what he says is true. I would get low-balled and would be virtually giving them away -- so what's the point. I'll keep them and enjoy them and use them, that is why I got them in the first place.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:55 pm

I don't think David is talking about finding the one ultimate knife, but just noticing the lack of "connection" when you have a bunch of knives.

That is basically what it comes down to. I think the bigger problem I have is that I get a sort of OCD where I feel almost uncomfortable if I don't carry the knife that I'm currently hooked on, so my ability to rotate knives kinda sucks. It's weird, it really is some kind of mental issue of sorts because I know they're all great knives or I wouldn't have bought them, I was all about them at the time I got them but one by one I've moved on to something else that held my attention more. Maybe that says something simpler about my tastes evolving, or maybe I have some kind of attachment disorder LOL.

I do think one of the biggest contributing factors is something I bet a lot of people here can relate to, which is buying knives for specific uses as a way to justify the purchase, only to later realize that some of the knives I own can literally do it all and I end up preferring one knife to do everything due to ergonomics or blade shape or something, and then I have all these "specialized" knives that never get used. The latest example of that is my Spyderhawk...I'm sure my Autonomy would have made short work of this grape vine I cut up in my back yard, or any of the Militaries that I used to do this kind of work with, but the Spyderhawk was new and something I hadn't owned before and it seemed like (and turned out to be) the perfect tool for the job. Over the years I've been on this forum and have been buying knives, there have been a lot of "grape vine knives" that have found their way into my collection that are now collecting dust.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David