Warning Labels on Knives for Lead, Etc: Look at this knife.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Warning Labels on Knives for Lead, Etc: Look at this knife.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I found this:

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/pa ... knife.html

The knife is made by or imported by Pachmayr, they are known for making gun accessories and grips and related items.

Notice it has a lead warning. Are they claiming the lead is in the blade or the G10 handle?
Evil D

Re: Warning Labels on Knives for Lead, Etc: Look at this knife.

Post by Evil D »

Man who knows. They may just have a very overly cautious legal department.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Probably just allowing for the fact that they may ship to California, and I have seen LOTS of stuff with that warning that didn't seem at all likely to really have lead. If somewhere along their assembly line a part might have been exposed to another piece that had solder, or some other silly reason.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yeah, it's California we are talking about . That is really enough of an explanation.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:25 pm
I found this:

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/pa ... knife.html

The knife is made by or imported by Pachmayr, they are known for making gun accessories and grips and related items.

Notice it has a lead warning. Are they claiming the lead is in the blade or the G10 handle?

Considering that the site in question has the same warning on a pair of plastic shooting glasses...

https://www.lymanproducts.com/accessories/eyepalr.html

...and recoil pads...

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/pa ... -pads.html

... and pretty much everything else they sell, I'd consider it CYA BS and not give it a second thought.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

my Buck 110 had this
:p

Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

ThePeacent wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:58 am
my Buck 110 had this

well I suppose stabbing yourself in the junk could count as "reproductive harm"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Echo63 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:53 am
ThePeacent wrote:
my Buck 110 had this

Hahaha! yes, that would do it!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Perhaps the blue dye used in the G10? Or, maybe something in the black blade coating? Or maybe some break with reality?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Echo63 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:53 am
ThePeacent wrote:
my Buck 110 had this

well,
I managed to stab myself with it in the hand :o so I guess I can consider myself lucky in hindsight :p

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

What do they do about the sun in California? It causes cancer too. Is there a warning on the inside of every door that exits to the outdoors? “Warning, being outside causes cancer”.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

But here is a question I do have related to this: Is there a slight percentage of danger that a knife produced by a company in a nation that does not have or care much about pollution oversight, may have some lead or other toxic material in it, that with everyday use against your hand may absorb into the bloodstream?

Some crystal is made with lead in it, and there are warnings that if you wear jewelry with those lead crystals touching your skin the lead can absorb into the bloodstream.

Could that happen with extended use of a knife that has that in it?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Gotta be careful about what they make those knives out of.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Reject

Post by Reject »

How much can a Koala bear?
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

:p :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:01 pm
But here is a question I do have related to this: Is there a slight percentage of danger that a knife produced by a company in a nation that does not have or care much about pollution oversight, may have some lead or other toxic material in it, that with everyday use against your hand may absorb into the bloodstream?

Some crystal is made with lead in it, and there are warnings that if you wear jewelry with those lead crystals touching your skin the lead can absorb into the bloodstream.

Could that happen with extended use of a knife that has that in it?

AFAIK, the only time the transfer of lead from lead crystal could become an issue is if beverages are stored in lead crystal decanters for months. Otherwise, lead crystal glassware is considered safe to use so I can't see why wearing crystal beads occasionally would be a problem.

I take it you're not a shooter, never built anything that required soldering, are not old enough to remember leaded gasoline, and never drank tap water from a building more than 40 years old.
There's a point at which reasonable caution ends and paranoid dread begins. Worrying about "heavy metal" transfer from knives, even knives from China, India, or Pakistan takes you well beyond that point.
Paul
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I keep d-lead soap around to wash my hands after shooting or handling lead as I have small children.
https://esca-tech.com/ProductDetail.php ... num=4222ES
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:12 am
I keep d-lead soap around to wash my hands after shooting or handling lead as I have small children.
https://esca-tech.com/ProductDetail.php ... num=4222ES
What a brilliant idea! :cool:

I had no idea that such a product ever existed and would have loved it when I was a maintenance fitter at a lead smelter many moons ago. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

As a child nothing was really as exciting for me as fishing. It was my main hobby all the way into adulthood. I have crimped hundreds and maybe even thousands of split shot sinkers with my teeth. I stopped doing it years ago out of fear of lead exposure but I am a middle aged man and dont appear to have suffered and ill effects. At least not yet.

The lead soldering of pipes is an interesting thing to bring up. It also happens that pipes were once made out of lead, then they were made out of copper which is also toxic. The thing with plumbing is that as long as the pH of your water is set properly you will not get any contamination. Acidic water will strip scaling from pipes and basic water will cause scaling to be deposited. Water treatment plants keep the pH of water close to 7 which is neutral but they generally keep it a tiny touch above 7 for the purpose of causing scaling due to it's effectiveness at lining pipes. If they let it get too high then excessive scaling can cause problems but if it hovers around seven with it being on the basic side more often than the acidic side you get a thin scaling that provides good protection.

I have lived most of my life on well water so that is an entirely different situation.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:59 am
As a child nothing was really as exciting for me as fishing. It was my main hobby all the way into adulthood. I have crimped hundreds and maybe even thousands of split shot sinkers with my teeth. I stopped doing it years ago out of fear of lead exposure but I am a middle aged man and dont appear to have suffered and ill effects. At least not yet.

The lead soldering of pipes is an interesting thing to bring up. It also happens that pipes were once made out of lead, then they were made out of copper which is also toxic. The thing with plumbing is that as long as the pH of your water is set properly you will not get any contamination. Acidic water will strip scaling from pipes and basic water will cause scaling to be deposited. Water treatment plants keep the pH of water close to 7 which is neutral but they generally keep it a tiny touch above 7 for the purpose of causing scaling due to it's effectiveness at lining pipes. If they let it get too high then excessive scaling can cause problems but if it hovers around seven with it being on the basic side more often than the acidic side you get a thin scaling that provides good protection.

I have lived most of my life on well water so that is an entirely different situation.

I'm with you, Darby. Crimped a lot of split shot with my teeth, not to mention handling a lot of other lead sinkers. Did a lot of competitive pistol shooting, mostly on indoor ranges. Between practice and matches, fired off a couple hundred rounds of .22 rimfire plus at least 60 rounds each of .38 and .45 lead wadcutters a week for 10+ years. Cast most of those wadcutter myself, mostly using lead I collected from the indoor range my club used at the local high school. Washed more than a few car and motorcycle parts in leaded gasoline while holding them in my bare hands back then too. Did a fair bit of "electronic tinkering" with lead solder and used my mouth as a "third hand" on more than one occasion. Lived for years in houses with copper pipe with lead soldered joints. Pretty sure that, at 72, I still have most, if not all, my faculties intact.
Paul