Very DISAPPOINTED w/ laminated steel sprint runs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Trackstar555

Re: Very DISAPPOINTED w/ laminated steel sprint runs

Post by Trackstar555 »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:31 pm
Honestly neither of those are as bad as your description made me expect. I'd surely keep that.
The endura is horrible on the one side fine on the other. It’s a few millimeters from the edge. The other side is fine. Are we looking st the same photo?

The Wharncliffe is tolerable but still stinks one side is fine and the other is low. But I can deal. Just disappointed. But the endura is horrible
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I guess I don’t consider this a QC issue. Call me crazy.
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

WireEdge Roger wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:37 pm
I guess I don’t consider this a QC issue. Call me crazy.
How many millimeters from the edge are you comfortable with? One side I have TONS of room. The other side......a few millimeters. Even the Spyderco customer service person said it shouldn’t be close to the edge. So I’m confused on what is acceptable to you then.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

How much more than a few millimeters do you need? Both knives appear to be well within acceptable limits.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Trackstar,

We recognize it is an issue, and frankly should have been noticed before you received it. We are currently going through the entire run. But in the end, the bottom line is that if you are not happy with it, you should either send it back for a refund or send it to us for a credit. The goal is happy customers.

sal
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

sal wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:52 pm
Hi Trackstar,

We recognize it is an issue, and frankly should have been noticed before you received it. We are currently going through the entire run. But in the end, the bottom line is that if you are not happy with it, you should either send it back for a refund or send it to us for a credit. The goal is happy customers.

sal
I love Spyderco Sal. When I was a rookie officer going through thr police academy, the instructor discussed tools of the trade and how you talk to people. So how you talk to people was number 1 tool in the tool box. The second tool was a sharp knife. He then produced a Spyderco Delica and told the class to go out and buy a SPYDERCO. Everyone in the class had purchased a Spyderco by the end of the week. I’ve been carrying a delica for 15 years and a Civilian for 10 years. Both are carried everyday on duty. And never failed me. Thankfully I’ve never had to use the Civilian but it’s peace of mind. I’m sorry for complaining because this is the first issue I’ve ever had. I appreciate your company more than you know and the fact you acknowledged my issue further reinforces why I am a loyal customer for life.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

dsvirsky wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:31 pm
A couple of thoughts/observations:
1) A quick Google search reveals plenty of comments about uneven lamination lines on Fallkniven knives.
2) Anyone expecting the lamination lines to be even doesn't understand how laminated blades are made or the nature of tolerances. Even a difference of 0.002" on one side -- within specs for surface ground steel -- will render the lines uneven. The thinner the blade is ground, the more obvious this will be.
3) If you plan on using the knife, why does it matter? Even if the lamination line reaches the secondary bevel, the softer steel will simply be ground away when you sharpen.

For what it's worth, I own a few Spydies with laminated blades (ZDP-189 Calypso Jr. lightweight, Hap 40 Manbug, and Hap 40 Stretch). The lamination lines are reasonably even on all three but far from perfect. I also own a couple of custom knives with laminated blades, both by ABS Mastersmiths, and the lamination lines are no "better" than on my Spydies.
I have this same outlook on laminated blades. I am aware that they may never be perfectly symmetrical and I'm accepting of that despite what my OCD is screaming in my head. I understand your feelings, but you should be aware it likely will never affect the use of your blade. Imperfections in tools reminds me of handmade one-off craftsmanship, YMMV.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Those lines look ok to me?? Maybe I just have crap standards but I would be happy with either of those knives!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Nevermind
Nate

Post by Nate »

Lol, all that buildup and both of the OP's blades look awesome to me. :confused:

Here is my old CPM 154/S90V Para 2, which I was fine with and had no problem selling when the time came. Kind of faint in this pic, but the line on the presentation side was super high, reverse was normal:

:spyder:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi Trackstar, sorry for the bad luck/disappointment. I have a laminated Spyderco and yours is much straighter and more symmetrical than mine. It bothered me a little for a minute then I stuck it in my pocket and forgot about it. I’m not telling you that it shouldn’t bother you, I’m just saying it’s something I found pretty easy to accept after my initial reaction.

Just to clarify, you do realize that this will never cause an issue with function right? No matter how much you sharpen the knife you will always have v-Toku steel at the edge. I’m just clarifying that because you noted many times how you only had so much space for sharpening. I assume that is just an aesthetic issue for you?
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Trackstar555 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:38 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:11 pm
Trackstar555 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:36 pm
I just can’t believe Spyderco allows these to be released. The lines are HORRIBLE and uneven. And their customer service didn’t really seem to care much. Just said send them in and we will look and potentially refund you. I look on eBay and the trading posts on FB and never have seen one uniformed yet on both sides.

Talking to the vendor (knife center) won't work because they are sold out.
I know you are disappointed. It appears from your posts you have not contacted your vendor. Did you send it in to Spyderco? Those seem like two reasonable options.

If the vendor is sold out.....what is the point in contacting them? Someone might want them on the secondary market with an honest description. Also Spyderco themsleves said they can’t replace them because they are SOLD OUT. I’m trying to figure out if I can live with it or sell them.

Someone tell me what good contacting the vendor will do when it’s SOLD OUT.
???????????

This is a simple thread folks. And why I hesitated on joining rafter reading for many years. I’m just asking if other people have issues with the laminated steel. I’m not asking your advice on contacting vendors or Spyderco. I clearly called Spyderco before even posting this thread. Either some of you don’t read or you just offer advice on a different topic than what I posted. I appreciate the photos. Exactly what I was looking for for comparison. To those that have done that I appreciate it.

Pardon my bluntness on calling this out, but something smells fishy with your threads.. and I've seen no fish brought to the table, twice now. The vendor you describe buying your knife from (Knife Center) shows a pre-order in affect.. which means they are expecting more, but you wouldn't know that because you aren't starting this thread to find a solution, but to rant on something in which you feel wronged from a personal QC standpoint. You started a thread just four days ago that died when no one jumped on your bandwagon shunning this highly offensive piece of steel Spyderco calls a knife :rolleyes: ( link: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80127 ). You had more than ample time to contact KC directly to resolve this issue within the passed four days. Instead of responding with a question to keep your original thread on topic, you started this new thread with a single minded focus to publically call out Spyderco for their oh so offensive mistake in QC that happened to make its way to you and they aren't doing anything about it! Sounds unjustifiably biased given you wouldn't take a proper step when you had the chance (still do I reckon) and claim there's nothing that can be done now since you waited until the in-stock sold out at KC... but are contacting Spyderco about what they're going to do about this issue and you want answers! Now you're demanding an answer on the forums as to what to do :confused:...

I fail to see the addressed issue here at this point. Spyderco directly has offered you an option to send it in for evaluation and to credit the money back if you are not happy with your purchase, but you're unhappy with any answer you've been given. As I recall, this is a sprint run knife, which there are no more being produced, and there is no "fixing" the laminated blades that have already been released unrightfully upon the harsh and demandingly critical public hands and eyes :rolleyes:... In your first thread that I linked above, you proposed a question as to what's going on with the lamination lines, but this thread you only state issues that have offended YOU on a personal level with the knife you received. What is it that you're looking to get out of your threads, other than slander at this point?

If you started this thread to know if others had similarly uneven lamination lines, that question should have been included in this thread's OP as well. Coming to find that most don't share your harsh criticism has made you saltier than the fish I smell from all of this... Sounds like a venomous assault to put Spyderco down to me, but maybe after reading your posts I've become cynical towards the point you're trying to make.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

weeping minora wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:15 pm
I've seen no fish...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

Expectation leads to disappointment. Wabi Sabi y'all.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Basically, if it's a "user" then *any* core steel at the edge is enough for full functionality, if you're collecting the knife then the solution is; don't collect Spyderco laminate blades, since there's a chance they'll be off center!

My HAP40 Delica has a lamination line that comes very low on one side at the tip, it bothered me for a few days, then I sharpened it, used it and forgot all about how the core steel was a fraction of a millimeter off center and just appreciated the knife for the excellent cutting tool that it is.

How much would a 3.75" blade Fallkniven folder cost? just putting that out there, because the V-Toku Sprints are *very* close to the price of a bone stock VG-10 bladed version and rather less than a comparable Fallkniven would be... you just can't have exotic materials, perfect QC *and* low price all in one product.

This isn't a perfect world and *things* aren't concepts, no matter how much we yearn for the ideal... being OK with the irregularities of life is a much easier road than seeking True Perfection.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:48 pm
weeping minora wrote:
I've seen no fish...

What does one *do* with a carp that big???

...or any carp for that matter.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:36 pm
What does one *do* with a carp that big???

...or any carp for that matter.
People use them here in Aus as Shotgun target practice when they "wallow" in the warm shallow water.
And then leave them on the bank/waters edge for the herons, hawks, eagles to eat.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

Bloke wrote:
weeping minora wrote:
I've seen no fish...
Another reason I rarely post. And probably won’t again. Everyone is a comedian.
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

Trackstar555 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:50 pm
Bloke wrote:
weeping minora wrote:
I've seen no fish...
Another reason I rarely post. And probably won’t again. Everyone is a comedian. Even sal said the endura shouldn’t have left the factory and acknowledged there are some issues. Yet I get blasted......mature folks here.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Regardless of what Sal said, It's the way you went about it.

Theirs ways of resolving things/issues and ways to put people offside. Even more so when you don't take up good suggestions.

Weeping minora summed it up very well indeed.
Last edited by 500Nitro on Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.