Very DISAPPOINTED w/ laminated steel sprint runs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Calicoast

Re: Very DISAPPOINTED w/ laminated steel sprint runs

Post by Calicoast »

Bought a Fallkniven with bad lamination lines.
Hasn't affected performance in any way.

I would take it up with Spyderco and let then take a look at it. Know it's frustrating when you spend good money, you want it to be perfect. But they cant really give you an answer over the phone until they see it.

Only buy solid.
C
Last edited by Calicoast on Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

RickC27 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:52 pm
Resized_20180513_181229.jpeg
YIKES........how did that even pass QC? And you have so much on the other side.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

A couple of thoughts/observations:
1) A quick Google search reveals plenty of comments about uneven lamination lines on Fallkniven knives.
2) Anyone expecting the lamination lines to be even doesn't understand how laminated blades are made or the nature of tolerances. Even a difference of 0.002" on one side -- within specs for surface ground steel -- will render the lines uneven. The thinner the blade is ground, the more obvious this will be.
3) If you plan on using the knife, why does it matter? Even if the lamination line reaches the secondary bevel, the softer steel will simply be ground away when you sharpen.

For what it's worth, I own a few Spydies with laminated blades (ZDP-189 Calypso Jr. lightweight, Hap 40 Manbug, and Hap 40 Stretch). The lamination lines are reasonably even on all three but far from perfect. I also own a couple of custom knives with laminated blades, both by ABS Mastersmiths, and the lamination lines are no "better" than on my Spydies.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Trackstar555 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:22 am
I have a en Endurs V-Toku2/SUS with one side nice uniformed lines. The other side, it’s barley above the edge.

I just got my delica Wharncliffe sprint HAP40 and the same thing. One side is fine and the other side is wavy and barely above the cutting edge.

I have a sprint run regular delica HAP40 with wavy lines but at least I have room on both sides to sharpen and stay under the laminated lines. One side is lower than the other though.

I called Spyderco customer service and was told they are having all sorts of wave patterns and even some have disappeared before reaching the end which is definitely wrong they admitted. I was on speaker phone with a nice lady and she said they can’t replace the models since they are sold out and could only give a store credit. I was also told that it should NOT be so low that you sharpen and eventually run into the laminated line sooner rather than later.

She didn’t have much answer as far as if they are trying to fix this. I asked why FALLKNIVEN can have such uniformed perfect laminated lines and they can’t. Other knife makers have nice uniformity and plenty of room to sharpen before running into the laminated lines

I’m highly disappointed in the crappy laminated lines and the fact they are a few millimeters from the edge but on the other side, you have PLENTY OF ROOM.
Does this have any negative affect on performance for you? If anything wouldn't this speed up sharpening sessions since you're grinding softer steel on the shoulders?
:unicorn
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

It's a non-issue for me, especially on the FRN knives which although potentially "collectible," are at their essence, work knives.
Thank you Spyderco for making these.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I mean yeah, there should be a good bit of edge steel exposed for the entire length of the edge. But overall unevenness should be expected and welcomed given what we're dealing with here. When you consider the thickness of the layers and the angles at which they are ground, and then consider the processes that make the steel in the first place as well as what it goes through to become a knife blade, well, let's just say tolerances stack up.

You're right in that even though that knife is still functional, having no inner layer exposure is below Spyderco standards and probably should be in a seconds bin. But to compare these blades to a brand of thicker knives made from a different steel ground at different angles and expect similar results is a mistake.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

The good steel is sandwiched in the center. Should never effect the edge. I don’t see why their is always so much crying over these lamination lines. Spyderco doesn’t have to make these knives with all these brand new steels for no reason. They do it because they are edge junkies just like us. Use it or sell it.
Josh
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Regardless of if the lamination line is even the edge is still the intended metal is it not?
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:11 pm
Trackstar555 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:36 pm
I just can’t believe Spyderco allows these to be released. The lines are HORRIBLE and uneven. And their customer service didn’t really seem to care much. Just said send them in and we will look and potentially refund you. I look on eBay and the trading posts on FB and never have seen one uniformed yet on both sides.

Talking to the vendor (knife center) won't work because they are sold out.
I know you are disappointed. It appears from your posts you have not contacted your vendor. Did you send it in to Spyderco? Those seem like two reasonable options.

If the vendor is sold out.....what is the point in contacting them? Someone might want them on the secondary market with an honest description. Also Spyderco themsleves said they can’t replace them because they are SOLD OUT. I’m trying to figure out if I can live with it or sell them.

Someone tell me what good contacting the vendor will do when it’s SOLD OUT.
???????????

This is a simple thread folks. And why I hesitated on joining rafter reading for many years. I’m just asking if other people have issues with the laminated steel. I’m not asking your advice on contacting vendors or Spyderco. I clearly called Spyderco before even posting this thread. Either some of you don’t read or you just offer advice on a different topic than what I posted. I appreciate the photos. Exactly what I was looking for for comparison. To those that have done that I appreciate it.
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

Trackstar555 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:38 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:11 pm
Trackstar555 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:36 pm
I just can’t believe Spyderco allows these to be released. The lines are HORRIBLE and uneven. And their customer service didn’t really seem to care much. Just said send them in and we will look and potentially refund you. I look on eBay and the trading posts on FB and never have seen one uniformed yet on both sides.

Talking to the vendor (knife center) won't work because they are sold out.
I know you are disappointed. It appears from your posts you have not contacted your vendor. Did you send it in to Spyderco? Those seem like two reasonable options.

If the vendor is sold out.....what is the point in contacting them? Someone might want them on the secondary market with an honest description. Also Spyderco themsleves said they can’t replace them because they are SOLD OUT. I’m trying to figure out if I can live with it or sell them.

Someone tell me what good contacting the vendor will do when it’s SOLD OUT.
???????????

This is a simple thread folks. And why I hesitated on joining rafter reading for many years. I’m just asking if other people have issues with the laminated steel. I’m not asking your advice on contacting vendors or Spyderco. I clearly called Spyderco before even posting this thread. Either some of you don’t read or you just like to offer advice on a different topic than what I posted. I appreciate the photos. Exactly what I was looking for for comparison. To those that have done that I appreciate it.
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

PayneTrain wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:33 pm
I mean yeah, there should be a good bit of edge steel exposed for the entire length of the edge. But overall unevenness should be expected and welcomed given what we're dealing with here. When you consider the thickness of the layers and the angles at which they are ground, and then consider the processes that make the steel in the first place as well as what it goes through to become a knife blade, well, let's just say tolerances stack up.

You're right in that even though that knife is still functional, having no inner layer exposure is below Spyderco standards and probably should be in a seconds bin. But to compare these blades to a brand of thicker knives made from a different steel ground at different angles and expect similar results is a mistake.
Thank you for your reply. Very good response. I appreciate it
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:50 pm
On one hand it won't make a bit of difference in use, other than being far more corrosion resistant on that side, but on the other hand this sort of inconsistency bothers me on a very deep level so I just flat out don't buy laminate blades.
This will probably be my last laminate blade. I bought this knife mainly for the scales, I thought it was one of the classiest knives out there. I lucked out with the scales being even and very nice looking on both sides. Wasn't going to use it much, then "foolishly" used it on a steak and the patina formed, really popping that uneven laminate, but at that point I figured its too late. Its a knife, I'll use it! Now I'm grateful I didnt keep it as a trophy queen because this knife is a flat out awesome slicer and I love using it. The steel is great and easy to work with. For me, those things bypass the uneven laminate, though I do understand the OPs frustration. I've learned to overlook it and enjoythe knife as being a great knife!
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

Calicoast wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:30 pm

I would take it up with Spyderco and let then take a look at it. Know it's frustrating when you spend good money, you want it to be perfect. But they cant really give you an answer over the phone until they see it.

Only buy solid.
C
Thank you. I already contacted Spyderco and they said they are sold out and can’t replace it
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

Trackstar555 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:41 pm
Calicoast wrote:

Only buy solid.
C
Thank you. I already contacted Spyderco and they said they are sold out and can’t replace it. Maybe I will sell it someone who wants one instead of Spyderco destroying it when I turn it in for an in store credit.
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

RickC27 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:40 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:50 pm
On one hand it won't make a bit of difference in use, other than being far more corrosion resistant on that side, but on the other hand this sort of inconsistency bothers me on a very deep level so I just flat out don't buy laminate blades.
This will probably be my last laminate blade. I bought this knife mainly for the scales, I thought it was one of the classiest knives out there. I lucked out with the scales being even and very nice looking on both sides. Wasn't going to use it much, then "foolishly" used it on a steak and the patina formed, really popping that uneven laminate, but at that point I figured its too late. Its a knife, I'll use it! Now I'm grateful I didnt keep it as a trophy queen because this knife is a flat out awesome slicer and I love using it. The steel is great and easy to work with. For me, those things bypass the uneven laminate, though I do understand the OPs frustration. I've learned to overlook it and enjoythe knife as being a great knife!

EXCELLENT REPLY. THANK YOU
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:23 pm
I personally hate the lamination but it is apparently a part of manufacturing in Japan. HAP 40 did not need laminate but I can see why Super Blue was. You should stick with Golden, CO steel sprints as they are not laminated (very often)

Yeah, same here. I had a number of Hap40 and Superblue sprints and have sold them all. My borderline OCD doesnt get along with uneven laminations, weird edge-only patinas, and scratches on the soft stainless portion. Im hoping that the Caly Jr Superblue sprint is indeed solid as I will definitely grab one. Maybe at some point they will figure out a way to switch to solid Hap40 if they continue to have QC problems and complaints with laminated steel.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Trackstar555 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:42 pm
Trackstar555 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:41 pm
Calicoast wrote:

Only buy solid.
C
Thank you. I already contacted Spyderco and they said they are sold out and can’t replace it. Maybe I will sell it someone who wants one instead of Spyderco destroying it when I turn it in for an in store credit.
It would dissapoint me, but there are many out there that would not see this as an issue + were not able to get one of these sprint runs. I bet you can get close to full price back and or full credit back from Spyderco, minus any time, shipping, etc. + the bummer of you wanting to use and try out that steel, otherwise you wouldnt have bought it.
C
Last edited by Calicoast on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

Right side is fine. The left side Very close to the edge.....just a few millimeters from the edge........horrible
Last edited by Trackstar555 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

Perfect one side. Low on the other.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Honestly neither of those are as bad as your description made me expect. I'd surely keep that.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam