D'Allara 3 ergonomics opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gil P.

D'Allara 3 ergonomics opinions

Post by Gil P. »

What do you all think about the ergos of this knife for all day use? Do you get significant hot spots when you really bear down on it?

I plan on using this knife for cutting boxes, small carving tasks, and dressing small game.

I was deciding between this and the new Jerry Brouwer that's coming out, but im not a fan of the finger choil. FYI the Native 5 was uncomfortable for me under heavy use.
Frozenspyder

Re: D'Allara 3 ergonomics opinions

Post by Frozenspyder »

The d'allara 3 fits my hand almost perfect. It took me forever to finally get one because nothing about it excited me. Once I held it, though, I was just in awe. The blade is a good size and shape. Opening is incredibly smooth, even for a spyderco. But the handle is probably what impressed me the most. It''s hard to explain, but it just feels right. It's comfortable, the clip doesn't get in the way and it feels natural in any grip you can think of. Out of all the spydercos I've handled, the d'allara has the best ergonomics, hands down. Sal outdid himself on that one.
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

I found the D'allara 3's ergonomics quite comfy. On a lot of spyderco models, there's something about the ergos that don't suit me (pocket clip and finger grooves on the Delica, boxy corners on PM2, etc), but the D'allara was solid. I didn't like how difficult it was to actuate the lock, though.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gil P,

Welcome to our forum.

I know I'm biased, but a spend a great deal of time refining and perfecting this design. I believe the ergos are about as good as the size permits. I have had some tell me that unlocking is not as easy as they would like. It is harder than an axis to unlock requiring thumb and index finger, but it locks up solid and is pretty much impossible to accidentally unlock. I carry one quite a bit. It carries easily and performs well. The CPM S30V is a good all around stainless blade steel.

sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've wanted one of these for so long but other offerings keep popping up. I really respect the evolution of this design.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

sal wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:09 pm
Hi Gil P,

Welcome to our forum.

I know I'm biased, but a spend a great deal of time refining and perfecting this design. I believe the ergos are about as good as the size permits. I have had some tell me that unlocking is not as easy as they would like. It is harder than an axis to unlock requiring thumb and index finger, but it locks up solid and is pretty much impossible to accidentally unlock. I carry one quite a bit. It carries easily and performs well. The CPM S30V is a good all around stainless blade steel.

sal
Well, if it's harder to unlock than an axis lock why not use one or the piston lock that's on my Sage? I handled this knife and the unlocking difficulty kept me from purchasing one. :confused:
Last edited by holeshot on Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was just about sold on getting one until I saw the Caribbean.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Holeshot,

The ball lock was invented to use in the World Trade Center Knife that we made for the widows and orphan's fund project. That model evolved to the D'Allara of which the D'Allara 3 is the next variation. I would prefer to remain with the Ball lock with this design. Actually, I don't have any problem unlocking the knife and I really appreciate the size, lock-up, action, and the security of the lock. It took a bit of practice for the learning curve. I will continue to refine the design until I get the unlocking as user friendly as possible, and then make an FRN version to get the price down. Probably not a model for everyone, but the simplicity and uniqueness of the design, in my opinion, deserves the attention.

sal
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

When I went to the Oregon knife show two years ago my brother and I stopped a gun shop in the burbs outside of Eugene. They had a good selection of knives mostly Spyderco and BM. I handled the D'Allara and the Sage 3. I chose the sage based upon fit and finish and ease of opening and closing. There was no learning curve needed for the Sage. When the Q-Ball came out I really wanted to have one but since it has the same lock as th D'Allara I passed on it. I know Spyderco is committed to CQI and look forward to that on both of these models. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
sal

Post by sal »

Appreciate your comments.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I want to try one of these. My problem is finding a B&M that has them. It is an interesting design.

Sal, why did you drop the point suddenly on the end instead of keeping the sweep of the blade edge up to a point?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

You mean, why did I go from a sheepfoot to a drop point?

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I wondered why the point was dropped when it looks to me the edge could have been swept up a bit and the spine lowered into a nice straight point. This knife has a sort of exaggerated Endura point profile, for lack of a better way to say it. The old Endura had a point that did not drop but ran straight. This is not a criticism, I am just interested in the thinking about the design.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Gil P.

Post by Gil P. »

Wow, thanks for the replies everyone.
I think I'll be ordering the D'Allara 3, Ive heard people complain about the difficulty of unlocking it, but that is not a negative for me. I think it's a smart design. I once had a BM with an axis lock, the springs on the lock broke unfortunately.
Thanks for replying, Sal. Its neat to get input from the guy who designed the knife!

Apologies for the late reply; I'm a corrections officer and we cant bring any phones or have internet access in the prison.
Gil P.

Post by Gil P. »

sal wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:55 pm
You mean, why did I go from a sheepfoot to a drop point?

sal
I do like the shape of the blade. It reminds me a little bit of a Nessmuk style knife. Certainly useful, and it makes for a thicker, stronger tip. At least thats what it looks like, it'll be fun to test it out!
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

I would like to try FRN version of it. Lighter, lower price, easier to unlock. Some nice color and maybe a more steels to choose. Man can dream:)
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Gil P.-

Thanks for the work you do. That can't be an easy job, and corrections officers don't seem to get the respect they deserve. I hope you like the D'Allara. It's a great knife.
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Gil,

Thanx for your service.

sal
Gil P.

Post by Gil P. »

Thanks guys.