Show your Sharpening Equipment!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spider bite

Re: Show your Sharpening Equipment!

Post by Spider bite »

I have been messing around with the 1x30 belt sander with very good results.
Attachments
1529612673122.jpg
1529612681590.jpg
PStone

Post by PStone »

Spider bite wrote: I have been messing around with the 1x30 belt sander with very good results.

Is that an edge angle guide you have hanging in the back?
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm
Spider bite wrote: I have been messing around with the 1x30 belt sander with very good results.

Yes nice catch, Spyderco AG1.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Spider bite wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:

First time I’ve seen one. It looks really cool/useful. Thank you for the model #. Was able to find it in the catalogue. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for one.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:25 pm
Spider bite wrote:
DirtMcGirt wrote:

First time I’ve seen one. It looks really cool/useful. Thank you for the model #. Was able to find it in the catalogue. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for one.
I've been casually looking for one for awhile. I haven't come across one yet. I'd love to get my hands on one.

@ Spider bite....we're heading home to McHenry county tomorrow.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Yet another dupe post....argh!!!
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:32 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Spider bite wrote:
DirtMcGirt wrote:

Have a safe trip. It's been raining a ton here. Hope it let's up tomorrow.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spider bite wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:53 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:32 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Spider bite wrote:

Have a safe trip. It's been raining a ton here. Hope it let's up tomorrow.
Yeah I've been watching. I'm ok with the cooler weather and a some rain. I'll just be happy to be home with family and friends.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I've been looking at a 1x30 as well as a 2x42. Haven't bit the bullet yet but I plan to be regrinding some knives soon.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

This is a Wicked Edge Field and Sport.

I upgraded the vise to the 2017 Gen 3 vise with longer arms.

I also added 800/1000 and 1200/1600 stones.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

xceptnl wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:04 am
I've been looking at a 1x30 as well as a 2x42. Haven't bit the bullet yet but I plan to be regrinding some knives soon.
If you can afford/find a 2x42 they are much easier to get flat, consistent grinds with. Also they don’t bog down under load. I wouldn’t use either for sharpening though, yikes.

I just got this little guy:

It’s similar to the edge pro type sharpeners with one minor difference: it was $22 shipped from China. So far seems to work great, got a nice flat bevel on a knife I made in a few minutes. I sharpen free hand so reprofiling has never been something I could do a good job at. Now I can.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:41 am
xceptnl wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:04 am
If you can afford/find a 2x42 they are much easier to get flat, consistent grinds with. Also they don’t bog down under load. I wouldn’t use either for sharpening though, yikes.

I just got this little guy:

It’s similar to the edge pro type sharpeners with one minor difference: it was $22 shipped from China. So far seems to work great, got a nice flat bevel on a knife I made in a few minutes. I sharpen free hand so reprofiling has never been something I could do a good job at. Now I can.
I've considered the cheap knockoffs before, but I think i would be a hypocrite for buying that and condemning those who produce fake Spydies. As for the 2x42, I think that is the way I was leaning. Also looking for resources for belts in various grits.
*Landon*
Don W

Post by Don W »

I mostly use Norton Crystolon stones and a Spyderco Sharpmaker.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

xceptnl wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:45 am
I've considered the cheap knockoffs before, but I think i would be a hypocrite for buying that and condemning those who produce fake Spydies. As for the 2x42, I think that is the way I was leaning. Also looking for resources for belts in various grits.
I don't think this really qualifies as a knockoff.

I think I got most of my belts from Tru Grit. They've got everything. But while you can find really high grit belts and stropping belts keep in mind that those are difficult to use on a fixed speed belt grinder since they will overheat the edge quickly.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:36 am
xceptnl wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:45 am
I don't think this really qualifies as a knockoff.

I think I got most of my belts from Tru Grit. They've got everything. But while you can find really high grit belts and stropping belts keep in mind that those are difficult to use on a fixed speed belt grinder since they will overheat the edge quickly.
I have no intention to sharpen any knife on the grinder. Just for handle work, regrinds & custom projects.
*Landon*
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

I love these set ups. You guys put some amazing edges on your knives! Mine is more basic. SM w/ CBN rods, a couple strops, and 1 small DMT Xtra coarse plate to make reprofiling a little quicker
Attachments
IMG_4992 (1).JPG
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

xceptnl wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:04 am
I have no intention to sharpen any knife on the grinder. Just for handle work, regrinds & custom projects.
Yeah they're great for that. I have some really coarse belts (36 grit, 50 grit, 80 grit) that just fly thru steel. For regrinding I'd probably start with 80 and see if it's removing material too fast/slow. And I get a little jar of ice with a little water in it and dip as I go along to cool the blade. The ice really helps as you can cool the blade down really cold and that let's you grind longer before dipping again.

Then to polish the grind I've got 120 grit belt and then 3M trizact belts which I think are equivalent to 220, 320, 600 grit -- they go up higher than that too. It's really nice getting blades smooth and pretty without a ton of hand sanding.
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

I went to tru grit for all my belts but the angle guide and leather came from other place. The pic is the belts I bought and they are in order of progression I use. 120-3000 grit.
Attachments
SmartSelect_20180621-153840_Email.jpg
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:14 pm
xceptnl wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:04 am
Yeah they're great for that. I have some really coarse belts (36 grit, 50 grit, 80 grit) that just fly thru steel. For regrinding I'd probably start with 80 and see if it's removing material too fast/slow. And I get a little jar of ice with a little water in it and dip as I go along to cool the blade. The ice really helps as you can cool the blade down really cold and that let's you grind longer before dipping again.

Then to polish the grind I've got 120 grit belt and then 3M trizact belts which I think are equivalent to 220, 320, 600 grit -- they go up higher than that too. It's really nice getting blades smooth and pretty without a ton of hand sanding.
Spider bite wrote: I went to tru grit for all my belts but the angle guide and leather came from other place. The pic is the belts I bought and they are in order of progression I use. 120-3000 grit.
Thank you both for the information.
*Landon*
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

My little setup, I load the compounds onto the painters tape, and use a glass backed lather strop to finish. I also have some Nano cloth strops, 0.1 micron polydiamond spray and 0.025 micron polydiamond spray from Jende coming to me in the mail!