Just bought a Golden Stone and.......

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jshperdue

Just bought a Golden Stone and.......

Post by jshperdue »

I wish I would have gotten one sooner. This is probably the most useful stone in the Spyderco lineup. I’ve always been curious about the stone but thought it was a little too expensive and odd looking. I wish I would have gotten one sooner. I don’t own a blade type or profile this thing won’t sharpen. Well done Spyderco, sorry I was so late with this realization.
sal

Re: Just bought a Golden Stone and.......

Post by sal »

Hi Jshperdue,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for the kind words.

FYI, I designed the Golden stone in 1978 when I designed the Sharpmaker. The technology was there to make it until just recently. We sat on the design for more than 30 years.

sal
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

OK. I have heard enough. I just ordered one of these and we will give it a try. Since Sal is such a fine fellow and has mentioned it several times, this had to be done.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Gonna have to add it to my list....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Interesting. Having a sharpmaker, I don’t often look at the sharpeners. I figure I got that covered. But this does look good for travel or quick touch ups. Thanks for posting.
jshperdue

Post by jshperdue »

I have a sharpmaker and many different systems but really enjoy freehand sharpening. I can now sharpen about anything with a diamond sharpmaker rod and now this golden stone. I can use just this 2 stone system and a small leather strop and get fantastic edges.
jshperdue

Post by jshperdue »

sal wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:29 pm
Hi Jshperdue,

FYI, I designed the Golden stone in 1978 when I designed the Sharpmaker. The technology was there to make it until just recently. We sat on the design for more than 30 years.

sal
Thank you Sal. I really like your knives and sharpening products. The Spyderco ceramics are the best I’ve used.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Looks like it's about twice the weight of the Double Stuff?
Nate

Post by Nate »

I noticed some of Sal's other recent comments on the Golden Stone and am interested as well.

Was reading some old threads last night and saw discussion about a prototype 15° base, I assume this never made it into production? It sounded like a good idea, but I guess all you'd really need is a shim of the appropriate thickness. Still would be cool to see a pic of it if possible.
:spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

We're still planning the 15 degrees per side base for the Golden Stone. I carry one whenever I travel. I sent one to a forumite in the far east to play with. It's next in the queue after the Galley V. He can hoot it if he wants. (he's better with pics). I can see if I can get a pic on the thread. I'm supposed to make a video when we get all of the parts together. First the Gauntlet, then the Galley V, then the Golden stone base for 30 degrees inclusive.

sal
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

sal wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:29 pm
Hi Jshperdue,

sal
Out of curiosity, what technology was needed to make this stone economically feasible?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi P_atrick,

It wasn't a matter of economics, the technology wasn't there to create the shape in ceramic. Creating asymmetrical shapes that didn't warp in firing was the challenge.

sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Freehand nation.

Spyderco makes great sharpening equipment for freehand sharpening.

In a sticky situation you don't always have the time set up your wicked edge.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I wonder if you can strop on the leather slip case....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Nate

Post by Nate »

sal wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:44 pm
We're still planning the 15 degrees per side base for the Golden Stone...

sal

Thanks for the update Sal!

No worries on the pic, hearing the base and others are in-the-works is great news. :)
:spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:44 pm
We're still planning the 15 degrees per side base for the Golden Stone. I carry one whenever I travel. I sent one to a forumite in the far east to play with. It's next in the queue after the Galley V. He can hoot it if he wants. (he's better with pics). I can see if I can get a pic on the thread. I'm supposed to make a video when we get all of the parts together. First the Gauntlet, then the Galley V, then the Golden stone base for 30 degrees inclusive.

sal
I can't wait for all of the aforementioned and especially the GAUNTLET system. I too am a big fan of the GOLDENSTONE but I have one big request and I believe that Spyderco is taking it under consideration from what I've been told in the past year. I truly wish Spyderco would make the GOLDENSTONE in more grit selections. I think that would truly propel sales to a much higher level and also bring much more overall interest to the tool. I was just using mine today on 3 of my kitchen Spyders and two of my other paring knives and it didn't take 10 minutes to get them all back razor sharp again.

I just wish I would have had an Ultra-Fine GOLDENSTONE to finish them up with. Also can't wait for that base for the GOLDENSTONE as well.

I still have my original GALLEY V kit that I got from you guys way back to 1999 I believe it was. I was also really lucky to get some of the extra Galley V stones you all were closing out on at the time. Those GALLEY V stones are so versatile for so many types of sharpening jobs with that "Cat's Eye" shape. I've found that the GALLEY V stone does an incredible job sharpening the Dodo model in particular as well as two other Reverse S blades in my overall line up.

I just wish there were more videos and written instructions on using the GOLDENSTONE and the 701 Profiles as well as some of the other great Spyderco sharpening tools. My GOLDENSTONE is among three Spyderco sharpening tools I take with me just about everywhere I go now a days. Yeah I want to know more tricks to using it>> and I'm sure these other guys also would like that as well.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:32 pm
Freehand nation.

Spyderco makes great sharpening equipment for freehand sharpening.

In a sticky situation you don't always have the time set up your wicked edge.
I too love to experiment with freehand sharpening tools. I have just about all of Spyderco's benchstones>> the only one I currently don't have is the big Ultra-Fine stone but I'll have it before the year is out. Medical expenses have been a monster this year to say the least :( . I will pick up pop & beer cans if I have to in order to get a GAUNTLET system when it's finally released.

I know a lot of the guys here have a really wide selection of freehand benchstones that they use but so far I've found that Spyderco's main three do a great job. I just wish they had at least one really coarse stone for rapid stock removal but so far I've been able to use my coarse and extra-coarse diamond stones for the starting of the sharpening process.

I'm just dying to have the 701 Profiles return to the main line up but I also want them in more grit selections as well. Spyderco's sharpening tools are just as high quality as their knives are.
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

My new 308UF arrived yesterday. I did several passes with my S30V PM2 and achieved hair shaving sharpness. This is an amazing product! Thanks! I just realized there is an actual product called a Goldenstone. But I guess I'll leave this up here anyway because aren't they all sort of Goldenstones?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

skybladefromthe wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:01 am
My new 308UF arrived yesterday. I did several passes with my S30V PM2 and achieved hair shaving sharpness. This is an amazing product! Thanks! I just realized there is an actual product called a Goldenstone. But I guess I'll leave this up here anyway because aren't they all sort of Goldenstones?
You just made a great point. Yes we do need a GOLDENSTONE in Ultra-Fine as well as other grit selections. It kind of baffles me as to why more people haven't gotten a GOLDENSTONE. It also confuses me as to why the "DUCKFOOT" was discontinued because a diamond GOLDENSTONE which is pretty much all the Duckfoot was is a great sharpening tool as well.

I am looking forward to the CBN version of the GOLDENSTONE but I hope they don't stop there. Also the sooner they make that base unit for the GOLDENSTONE available the better. I've had my GOLDENSTONE for about 7 years now and I'm always learning new ways of using it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm watching this very closely. I would like to have an easily portable method for sharpening serrations that has some type of fixed angle so I can maintain sharpening at 15/20 like I do on the Sharpmaker. Sure I can do it freehand but I'd still prefer something that is basically a more portable version of the Sharpmaker. If the corners of this stone do indeed fit both size serrations then this may be what I need.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David