Spyderco Slysz Bowie: the 2 Screws Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LC Kid

Spyderco Slysz Bowie: the 2 Screws Question

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I have to confess the enormously pleasant impression that I had because of the magnificent design of the Spyderco Slysz Bowie. :D

It wasn't a surprise for me, I had already seen and handled the original Marcin Slysz Custom Bowie folder, which is truly a winner, and my expectations were really high about the Spyderco version. No doubt it will be a smash hit, no matter what.

Then I took some time to check every detail out of the pictures, and I noticed something that took my attention.

Why this version has two screws at the end of the tang? :confused:

The obvious answer for this would be that one screw holds both the Ti Slabs & BackSpacer, while the other holds the Wire Clip.

The thing is, if we check the same aspect on the Techno we'll see that everything is being hold by the same screw.

And after more than a year carrying my Techno I can say that one screw is more than enough to do the job.

Is the larger handle on the Slysz Bowie the reason for using 2 screws? Really?

My impression is that everything, Wire Clip + Ti Slabs + G10 BackSpacer, could be hold together really nice and tight in the Slysz Bowie using only one screw, just like in the Techno. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that this 2 screws question is some kind of deal breaker, whatsoever. It just seems to me quite redundant to use 2 screws almost in the same place while there's a very similar and time proved design that just uses only one. :cool:

Maybe somebody from the Spyderco Crew could chime in about this. Or maybe some fellow forumite as well.
Stay Sharp!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kid,

When we do a collaboration design, we try to make it as close as possible to the designer's piece.

sal
LC Kid

THX Sal

Post by LC Kid »

Thanx Sal! :) I certainly think the Spyderco version is way better than the original Custom version.

The Round Hole is a huge plus on the design, and the cut out on the slab was made beautiful. And also on the blade. A very pleasant and utilitarian result.

As I said before, it's gonna be a smash hit. A Home Run. Just like the Techno.
:cool:
Stay Sharp!
mattman

Post by mattman »

What type of clip is on the custom version?

Possibly the difference is to accommodate the change to the wire clip on Spydercos version?
mattman

Post by mattman »

Double post...
LC Kid

Original Clips

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr mattman!

The original Slysz Bowie Custom version has this clip:
ImageWhich is very similar to the original clip in the Slysz Mouse - Spyderco Techno:ImageIn both the clips were screwed directly to the slab. Obviously the Spyderco wire clip is better fixed, and is also reversible for both sides. :cool:
Stay Sharp!
mattman

Post by mattman »

The custom bowie has a "slab-tie" fastener in that position, so I imagine Taichung kept the original fastener location, and added the standard fastener used for wire clips.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Stupid wire clips....the original is way better!!!!

But yes, in this case I'd say the Taiwanese maker just kept the screws there to keep it as close to the original as possible.
On the hunt for...
DeathBySnooSnoo

But yes, in this case I'd say the Taiwanese maker just kept the screws there to keep it as close to the original as possible.
On the hunt for...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like the knife very much. It is a great size and I love the blade shape. Still wondering about the blade thickness.

To bad almost every wire clipped knife is tip up. Probably gonna have to pass. :-(

A tip down clip would have my wallet wide open.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DeathBySnooSnoo

On the hunt for...
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Skipping the screw and moving the clip further back on the handle would also make it ride lower. I'm normally a huge fan of the wire clip, but on both the Techno and Bowie I would have preferred the original (it would make them even more lefty unfriendly though).

Imho it is up to Marcin and Spyderco to make what they feel is best ;)
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I just want one. Actually two :)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Hal Ling

Re: Spyderco Slysz Bowie: the 2 Screws Question

Post by Hal Ling »

I know this is now a dead thread but I’d still like to chime in with my 2 cents.

If you have a second screw then if you were to ever lose the clip retention screw while trying to change it out, or if after repeated removals and reattachments of the clip you end up stripping either the clip screw or its threaded screw well then at least you haven’t comprised the integrity of the rear assembly of the handle slabs.

I really appreciate a bomb-proof design (even if it wasn’t intentional) such as this. The clip retention screw will more likely than not see more tool interaction than the other screws so why not isolate its function so as to minimize the impact to the knife if a failure of any type associated with the screw occurs.

Again just my two cents.