Its been 5 years.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
holeshot

Its been 5 years.

Post by holeshot »

This year for my birthday in April my beautiful bride of 34 years gave me a NIB 2013 Calylpso sprint run knife. This was about the time that the Caly 3 sprint HAP40 dropped. Liked it so much I bought two. My wife patiently listened to me rave about it and hence the awesome bithday surprise. Now, IMHO I'd love to see another Calypso sprint. I'm good with VG-10 but would like to see a different color G-10 scale color. Mayby green, gray, red, or even black. Its been five long years, it's time! :)
Last edited by holeshot on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
xceptnl

Re: Its been 5 years.

Post by xceptnl »

holeshot wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:37 pm
This year for my birthday in April my beautiful bride of 34 years gave me a NIB 2013 Calylpso sprint run knife. This was about the time that the Caly 3 sprint HAP40 dropped. Liked it so much I bought two. My wife patiently listed to me rave about it and hence the awesome bithday surprise. Now, IMHO I'd love to see another Calypso sprint. I'm good with VG-10 but would like to see a different color G-10 scale color. Mayby green, gray, red, or even black. Its been five long years, it's time! :)
I hear you. I'm always on board for a Caly family release.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would LOVE to see a C54 Calypso sprint. The last one moved slow if I remember correctly but it was brown G10 and VG10.

Make a dark green one with ZDP or a grey one with Super Blue and watch them move. I would eagerly buy either one.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm always interested in the Caly family sprints too. I have yet to see any I didn't like in any steel but the sprints in performance steels in a Caly family knife is not something to pass up.

Joe
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I'm sure that after the Vtoku2 Sprints are released, eventually there will be a Caly as well. Full size Calypso with Vtoku2 and G10. Boom.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:39 pm
I would LOVE to see a C54 Calypso sprint. The last one moved slow if I remember correctly but it was brown G10 and VG10.

Make a dark green one with ZDP or a grey one with Super Blue and watch them move. I would eagerly buy either one.
The original Micarta handled C-54 has been in my "JD's Top 10" for well over 12 years now and YES!!! I would very much like a Sprint Run of the big C-54 Calypso model. However at this point I would want another blade steel beside VG-10. The 4 previous C-54 Calypso models all had VG-10 and it's high time for a Sprint Run in some other blade steel. Now I can cave in and go with a G-10 handle instead of Micarta>> that I would do if it would make this work.

The C-54 is the most elegant of all the Calypso series IMO.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

A Super Blue Calypso would be pretty cool!

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:40 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:

The original Micarta handled C-54 has been in my "JD's Top 10" for well over 12 years now and YES!!! I would very much like a Sprint Run of the big C-54 Calypso model. However at this point I would want another blade steel beside VG-10. The 4 previous C-54 Calypso models all had VG-10 and it's high time for a Sprint Run in some other blade steel. Now I can cave in and go with a G-10 handle instead of Micarta>> that I would do if it would make this work.

It's all about the swedge and lack of jimping.
*Landon*
Strider

Post by Strider »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:58 am
A Super Blue Calypso would be pretty cool!

Those look great. I love the looks of a well worn caly superblue.
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

A linerless C54 in Super Blue or something would be incredible.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

xceptnl wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:58 am
JD Spydo wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Oh yeah, that swedge and no jimping are what make it so elegant. I was somewhat shocked to see the Nutnfancy review when he used a Dremel to jimp the thumb ramp. :(
"No matter where you go, there you are"
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

holeshot wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:10 am
xceptnl wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:58 am
JD Spydo wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Oh yeah, that swedge and no jimping are what make it so elegant. I was somewhat shocked to see the Nutnfancy review when he used a Dremel to jimp the thumb ramp. :(
Haven't seen a TNP review in years
*Landon*
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Calypso is the size I prefer. I think the caly jr and caly 3.5 are incredible designs with superb ergonomics, but due to the limited availability I've never gotten to try the full sized version.

I'd be all over another run.
:unicorn