Return of the G-10 Delica and Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
weeping minora

Return of the G-10 Delica and Endura

Post by weeping minora »

It's an exciting time for sprint runs within the Japanese made spydie line-up and the line-up in general, along with a wharnie E4 in the production (?) mix (hopefully sooner than later! :D). New and old model variations are making it into sprint runs lately as well. Is there still any love for seeing the G-10 Delica and Endura come back into production, or have the FRN sprint runs won over much of that love? Maybe they can be iterated into a sprint run of sorts as well; with some of the older favorite sprint runs re-ran in G-10. I.E. the Super Blue or HAP runs? I sure wouldn't mind a burgundy G-10 with full stainless liners and backspacer rocking a ZDP or VG-10 blade either ;). Curious to know what y'all think for potential future Japanese sprints, especially in between the next steel choice.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Return of the G-10 Delica and Endura

Post by Doc Dan »

Only if it is Foliage Green.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:20 pm
I like this line of thinking, but I'd honestly like it in any color G-10.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd like to see more Delica 'platform' knives in G-10. Tasman, Wharncliffe, Lil' Matriarch.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

I'm surprised Spyderco hasn't done one of these since there seems to be so much interest in a G10 Delica. I wonder if it's due to cost? (the last G10 Delica didn't seem to sell well bc of cost). If they do one, I would love to see it with linerless G10 like the newer Native 5. Hopefully blue G10 with an upgraded steel :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I'm still hopeful that a linerless G-10 version of the Delica/Endura will come along to help offset the high cost that seemed to plague sales of the first G-10 models.
*Landon*
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:

Foliage green and linerless :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Being relatively new to the "spyder web" (buying my first spydies in 2016), I'm unfamiliar with the price differential that took place amongst the initial G-10 run. From what I gathered, the pricing is right around where the ZDP FRN models stand currently. Seeing the prices of the newer models coming out of the Seki factory in G-10 within the last year has certainly made it understandable as to why this hasn't happened sooner :eek:! If my research is correct, it looks like the G-10 runs discontinued close to 10 years ago now. Seems like there has been enough of a wait to fulfill more of a demand to at least run a sprint of G-10 fancied knives at this point ;). If so, I'd like to see it produced with full stainless liners and back spacer, but I certainly wouldn't turn down a liner less option. I'd be more in favor of the old burgundy Caly Jr. ZDP sprint color, or the original blue used for the ZDP knives.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I seem to remember Sal saying a few years ago that sales numbers was a major contributing factor. G10 Delicas cost a lot more than FRN and most people would rather not pay the difference. Sales of the G10 models were slow, if I remember rightly. Someone please correct me on this if I am not remembering right.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:20 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Foliage green and linerless :eek:
That would be sweet!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

KOOL!! I like the G-10 Delica but wasn't going to pay the crazy inflated prices resellers were asking.. SOOOOO.. I bought a G-10 Meadowlark!!! :D John :spyder:
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Yes, I'd love to see both knives in G-10 in just about any color. I recently pick up the Dragonfly mainly because it was offered in G-10 and its become a mainstay of my EDC.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Minora,

As Doc Dan mentioned, the cost of G-10 models made in Seki is high and they are not selling well. Probably due to the high price. The recent models are expensive and sales do not justify the inventory. So it is unlikely that you will see many G-10 models from Seki. With the "RockJumper" and "Endela" models, we are going straight to FRN without the usual G-10 Pilot to test patterns.

sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

sal wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:52 am
Hi Minora,

As Doc Dan mentioned, the cost of G-10 models made in Seki is high and they are not selling well. Probably due to the high price. The recent models are expensive and sales do not justify the inventory. So it is unlikely that you will see many G-10 models from Seki. With the "RockJumper" and "Endela" models, we are going straight to FRN without the usual G-10 Pilot to test patterns.

sal
I'd love to hear more about the Endela model. I don't think I saw this one at Blade?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

xceptnl wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:52 am
I'm still hopeful that a linerless G-10 version of the Delica/Endura will come along to help offset the high cost that seemed to plague sales of the first G-10 models.
The liners weren’t the issue. The issue is JOHN Q Public sees FRN at $70 and G10 over $100 and balks. But as long as you have been there you know that. The G10 needs to be a sprint run and at those quantities Spyderco should recoup cost plus some profit margin
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

twinboysdad wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:17 am
xceptnl wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:52 am
The liners weren’t the issue. The issue is JOHN Q Public sees FRN at $70 and G10 over $100 and balks. But as long as you have been there you know that. The G10 needs to be a sprint run and at those quantities Spyderco should recoup cost plus some profit margin
Oh I'm well aware of what John Q wants. He is not willing to pay even $1 more for a different color or handle material. He looks at knife x = $70 (vg-10, clip, lock, handle of some plastic matetial)
knife z = $100 (vg-10, clip, lock, handle of some NASA material)

If it checks all their boxes, they save $30 every chance they get.

Still, cost savings are savings to tighten that gap between G-10 & FRN.
*Landon*
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

sal wrote:
Hi Minora,

sal
I've not seen these models listed anywhere before I don't think please tell us more papa Sal!
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

SpyderNut wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:03 am
sal wrote:
Hi Minora,

sal
I'd love to hear more about the Endela model. I don't think I saw this one at Blade?
Thank you for the chime-in Sal! Seems like more of a hope for a sprint G-10 run than a future production run. I know if Super Blue or HAP40 were decided to have a run in G-10, there'd be no doubt of it selling for sure; especially considering the Pakkawood HAP runs that have done so well ;). I have noticed the price differential to be quite high amongst G-10 vs FRN spydies coming out of Seki (in particular). I'm also interested in this upcoming Endela model! This will fill the gap between the Delica and Endura line-up, correct?
sal

Post by sal »

There's an exclusive G-10 Delica coming out. We'll watch it. Too soon to say much about the Endela.

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:42 pm
There's an exclusive G-10 Delica coming out. We'll watch it. Too soon to say much about the Endela.

sal

Let the steel speculation begin!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red