Manix Backlock Sprint poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Manix Backlock, pick your steel!!!!

M4
7%
M390/204P/20CV
14%
10V/K390
15%
Cruwear/3V/4V
29%
Vanax/LC200N
11%
4%
S90V/S110V
5%
CPM154/XHP
6%
Maxamet
8%
PSF27/CPMD2
2%

Total votes: 161

bearfacedkiller

Manix Backlock Sprint poll

Post by bearfacedkiller »

We have a great thread going to brainstorm what the ideal steel could be for a Shaman sprint run and I wanted to start one regarding the Manix Backlock. It also looks to be a nice sturdy folder and I would be quite interested in a sprint run in this model.

I set the poll up to allow two choices. Please comment in your post which would be your first choice and which would be your second.

I lumped some steels together since the poll only allows ten choices. Please vote as best as you can and please feel free to be more specific in your post. We can run another poll later to narrow it down further.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
steelcity16

Re: Manix Backlock Sprint poll

Post by steelcity16 »

I love backlocks with the Native and DF2 being my two favorite Spyderco knives. I have many Salt knives as well that are backlocks. A backlock Manix sprint is long overdue. As a founding member of the Cruwear Nation, that is my obvious #1 choice and my vote, but 3V or 4V would be amazing and would be must haves for me.

I would also love to see an FRN (or G10 if that is possible) LC200N Salt version of this knife and would scoop that up in a heartbeat.
I don't know a lot about Vanax, but it seems interesting and I would definitely buy one to try if that is the steel they went with.
And of course I'd buy a Jade/M4 DLC version if BHQ decides to do that.
Red G10 with DLC M390 from DLT Trading would be another I'd grab.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Lots of good choices in this poll, and I'd buy any of the first 5 choices. Tough vote, but I'm all about the K390 lately, and M4 always.

Not sure where my Backlock ended up... I need to locate that knife!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Cruwear and 4V. :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I voted Cruwear/3V/4V as well as 10V/K390. I've been itching to get a Manix backlock since they came back, but these steels would seal the deal as far as I am concerned.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
PStone

Post by PStone »

I voted cpm154. No experience with it, but I’ve read good things about toughness and corrosion resistance.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Voted Cruwear/3/4V but I'll also accept M4.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm seeing a trend with these polls. And I like it! :D CRUWEAR NATION!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

There's no point in voting. The Cult of Cruwear worshippers have shown that they'll overtake any poll like this. Thanks to them we'll never see a sprint in an interesting stainless like Vanax. It looks like I need start saving my money for a Shirogorov since the Cult of Cruwear accepts nothing but rusting tool steels.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:58 am
I HATE IT! Y'all are so fixated on this one steel that the rest of us will never get anything else in a sprint.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Cruwear and 52100 here
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:59 am
There's no point in voting. The Cult of Cruwear worshippers have shown that they'll overtake any poll like this. Thanks to them we'll never see a sprint in an interesting stainless like Vanax. It looks like I need start saving my money for a Shirogorov since the Cult of Cruwear accepts nothing but rusting tool steels.

Please post a pic of this rusty Cruwear knife you own?

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:01 am
steelcity16 wrote:
I HATE IT! Y'all are so fixated on this one steel that the rest of us will never get anything else in a sprint.

Haha, there are plenty of sprints/exclusives in other steels either currently out, available on the secondary market, or on the way. It makes sense to produce what is going to sell. They have to sell 1,200 of them. There are currently ZERO Cruwear models available and if you look at the upcoming releases, there are currently ZERO in Cruwear as well, so it's not like they are being mass produced in lieu of other steels. It is just filling a demand that is long overdue. Once we get our fix they will move on to other steels. None of this has even been confirmed. It's just voicing our opinion of what we will spend our money on.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Would mainly be interested in a Manix backlock sprint if it would be the same thickness on the handle and blade as the regular Manix, the regular backlock Manix was just a bit too beefy for me.
I voted Cruwear/3V/4V and think it's also not necessary at all to make an extra thick blade when using a tougher steel.
(actually a good reason to go the other way around)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

double post
Last edited by steelcity16 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

triple post
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:11 am
ugaarguy wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

Haha, there are plenty of sprints/exclusives in other steels either currently out, available on the secondary market, or on the way. It makes sense to produce what is going to sell. They have to sell 1,200 of them. And if you look at the upcoming releases, there are currently ZERO in Cruwear, so it's not like they are being mass produced in lieu of other steels. It is just filling a demand that is long overdue. Once we get our fix they will move on to other steels. None of this has even been confirmed. It's just voicing our opinion of what we will spend our money on.
It's not my fault y'all missed out on the numerous CruWear sprints that were previously made, and you can buy one on the secondary market too. It is my fault that I didn't buy a Kershaw Tilt when they were available years ago. I bought one of the updated Spydiechefs as soon as they dropped this year. Once you get your fix? Let's be honest, we're all a bunch of steel junkies, and that fix will only last so long before we're back for more. I hope Spyderco floods the market with Cruwear so y'all have plenty to last you for the next decade and the rest of us can some steels that Spyderco has never put in a folder.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:18 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:11 am
ugaarguy wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

Haha, there are plenty of sprints/exclusives in other steels either currently out, available on the secondary market, or on the way. It makes sense to produce what is going to sell. They have to sell 1,200 of them. And if you look at the upcoming releases, there are currently ZERO in Cruwear, so it's not like they are being mass produced in lieu of other steels. It is just filling a demand that is long overdue. Once we get our fix they will move on to other steels. None of this has even been confirmed. It's just voicing our opinion of what we will spend our money on.
It's not my fault y'all missed out on the numerous CruWear sprints that were previously made, and you can buy one on the secondary market too. It is my fault that I didn't buy a Kershaw Tilt when they were available years ago. I bought one of the updated Spydiechefs as soon as they dropped this year. Once you get your fix? Let's be honest, we're all a bunch of steel junkies, and that fix will only last so long before we're back for more. I hope Spyderco floods the market with Cruwear so y'all have plenty to last you for the next decade and the rest of us can some steels that Spyderco has never put in a folder.

I have 2 Cruwear PM2, a Cruwear Manix, a Cruwear Military on the way, and I'll likely grab a Cruwear Para 3 when the right deal comes around. Any of those models are ripe for other steels. I just want Cruwear sprints/exclusives in the models I don't have, like the Shaman and Manix Backlock. I have plenty of other Spydercos in other steels (VG10, H1, S30V, S90V, Maxamet, S110V, M4, M390, 52100...LC200N as soon as that Native Salt drops) and I've owned and subsequently sold models in countless other steels (Superblue, Hap40, ZDP-189, CTS-204P, etc), I just really prefer Cruwear for the majority of my uses.

Also the two polls you are referring to just happen to be two big beefy knives that a lot of people, myself included, want to see a tough beefy steel to match.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I voted K390 over Cruwear this time, based on my experiences with my factory edge Cruwear blades chipping on me. I had someone here in Portland sharpen my K390 very well, and it’s maintained it’s crazy sharpness after decent use. My second choice was Maxamet, man I love that stuff!! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Good idea. I’d love a Manix backlock sprint. Voted vanax or m390 because those were the stainless options.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

ugaarguy wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:59 am
I encourage you to vote and share your opinion. They all have value and I want yours included in this poll. I appreciate that you want a stainless steel and even if this poll's results leans towards non stainless steels that in no way means that we will not see a stainless sprint. Sal/Spyderco has shown time and time again that they try to make something for everybody. They have also said over and over that the market at large prefers stainless steels. So don't let our suggestions deter you, let your voice be heard! :D

It is worth noting that all of the models which have been offered in Cruwear have been offered in a plethora of other steels including many stainless options. It is a stretch to imply that Cruwear has dominated the sprint run scene, if anything S90V has. It may also be worth noting that most people do not find Cruwear to be rust prone.

Vanax is new. I expect to see it in a Spyderco folder at some point but I also expect that we may have to wait a while. We may see a Mule first.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?