CBSA - Canadian knife import ban

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
talesk

CBSA - Canadian knife import ban

Post by talesk »

For those unaware; There has been a change to import laws in Canada.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... 1-eng.html

The ownership/use/possession of folding knives is still 100% legal; the import of them is not.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts ... .html#h-37
prohibited weapon means

(a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, or

(b) any weapon, other than a firearm, that is prescribed to be a prohibited weapon; (arme prohibée)

There are a number of legal efforts currently in progress to challenge this change to import.

Petition: https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Peti ... ion=e-1552
Go Fund Me: https://www.gofundme.com/canadian-knife-rights-law-suit

Local Canadian manufacturer trying to fight the good fight: https://northarmknives.com/cbsa-flipper-knife-ban/

If you are Canadian, and if you are upset, I encourage you to engage in the healthy resolution of this issue instead of finding work-arounds. Your efforts would benefit the Canadian knife community as a whole.

Note : The petition closes June 28, 2018.

Many thanks.
Last edited by talesk on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
Wants: parata, kapara
In the mail:
The Meat man

Re: CBSA - Canadian knife import ban

Post by The Meat man »

talesk wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:10 pm

The ownership/use/possession of folding knives is still 100% legal; the import of them is not.

(a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife

I understood the problem to be arbitrary seizures by border agents, not the import laws themselves. According to the law as you stated it above, the ban on imports only affects a narrow segment of knife styles (such as automatics, flippers, maybe compression locks, etc.)

Only certain types of folding knives are banned from import; certainly not "all folding knives".

There should be no problem, therefore, with trying to import a Delica, and it would not be breaking the law to do so.

I'm not a Canadian, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but that is how the situation looks like to me. And BTW this thread should probably be in the Off Topic section.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
talesk

Post by talesk »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:16 pm
talesk wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:10 pm

(a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife

I understood the problem to be arbitrary seizures by border agents, not the import laws themselves. According to the law as you stated it above, the ban on imports only affects a narrow segment of knife styles (such as automatics, flippers, maybe compression locks, etc.)

Only certain types of folding knives are banned from import; certainly not "all folding knives".

There should be no problem, therefore, with trying to import a Delica, and it would not be breaking the law to do so.

I'm not a Canadian, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but that is how the situation looks like to me. And BTW this thread should probably be in the Off Topic section.

This is the clause that affects 'all' knives:
...it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.
This would mean thumb studs, and holes. If you can spyderflick a knife - it's now prohibited from crossing the boarder.

Arguably even if a thumbnail opening buck knife could be ceased since you're touching a non-edged part of the blade.
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
In the mail:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

This definitely isn’t news, bro. It’s been a couple months or more of this crap.
- best wishes, Jazz.
talesk

Post by talesk »

Jazz wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:21 pm
This definitely isn’t news, bro. It’s been a couple months or more of this crap.
You are correct, it has been around for months. I did not find any links to the petition in this forum so I figured I would share.

There was a deleted thread discussing how to get around the issue on this forum which isn't the best way to get a lasting result. Just doing my part.
In the mail:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

talesk wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:44 pm

You are correct, it has been around for months. I did not find any links to the petition in this forum so I figured I would share.

There was a deleted thread discussing how to get around the issue on this forum which isn't the best way to get a lasting result. Just doing my part.

Much appreciated. Just being cranky about it. I hope it gets changed.
- best wishes, Jazz.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

talesk wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:35 pm
...it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.
This would mean thumb studs, and holes. If you can spyderflick a knife - it's now prohibited from crossing the boarder.

Arguably even if a thumbnail opening buck knife could be ceased since you're touching a non-edged part of the blade.

Well. Worded like that, it does seem like that rules out pretty much everything.

I'm glad I don't live in Canada. For those who do, I hope the situation changes!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Watch out or we'll put tariffs on it
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut