Lil' Temperance??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Lil' Temperance??

Post by JD Spydo »

The Lil' Temperance. Who designed it? Why did they cease production on it. It was probably the most popular knife for one that they didn't make many of. Now that it's gone it seems like everyone I meet in Spyderville now wants one. Ok folks! What's the deal? :confused: :spyder: :cool:
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha JDSpydo!

Think Sal designed this one in house. I dunno why the halt in production, but I did see them going for 99$ at sportsmansguide.com. (Not the trailing point, but the "leaf" point!!!)

Now...about that there Ronin... ;)

God bless!
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
HoB

Post by HoB »

I don't think it was overly popular. It is one of my favorite knives of all time, but unfortunately I am not "all the world" :p . The Lil' T has Sal name quite literally written (all) over it. On the clip to be specific. Very sad to see that one go, but all is well in Spyderville, as the Lil'T 2 is scheduled for some time this year, if I am not mistaken.
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

ahhh the lil'...
it's quite possibly the spyderco folder that got the most emotions out of me...ever. Everything about it was just perfect for what I like. Hopefully, I'll be able to snatch one on ebay someday. The problem with discontinued models is that they become 'collectible' and then I would hesitate to use it as it should....who said life was easy?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the second generation of Lil will be "inferior" to this one, right? With FRN handles, VG-10 blade and possibly a front lock? Still a **** of a knife but not what I have been drooling all over for a year+...

-Dean
gabo

Post by gabo »

I don't know why it is, but sometimes it takes me a long time to "come around" to a particular knife design. For instance, the SPOT did not strike me as anything special when it first came out, but 1 month ago I was needing(ok, wanting) a very small fixed blade, and it struck me immediately that the SPOT was perfect. More than perfect, way ahead of its time. So now I am faced with the dilemma weather to buy every knife Spyderco is discontinuing, just to be safe or just suffer without. :) :) :D :D
golem

Post by golem »

Well, I think one reason lil'temperance was not very popular is because it's a little bit too pricy for such a little knife. I would love to see spyderco come up with a lower-cost one, it definately gona sell better on the market if its "street price" is around $80~90. VG-10 is fine as it's pretty darn good steel. However, I don't think Sal will go that far to FRN handles, as it's quite opposite to the purpose of this knife -- selfdefense. I guess it may come up with a simpler handle design which unlike the previous one, does not require human in finishing.
jbake

Post by jbake »

The Lil' T is just about my favorite Spyderco.

I held what I think was a prototype of the Lil' T II at Blade last year.

It had green polymer (FRN?) scales and seemed slimmer and more rounded. I honestly can't remember what kind of lock it had.

That was a while back and my memory stinks - it also could have changed a good bit since then.

-jb
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha JB!!!

Hah! Yeah right your memory stinks! LOL! Your chewing gum OTOH... :p

God bless! ;)
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
i.v

Post by i.v »

it would be nice to see a "cheaper" version of it so i can get it too :D
vg10 blade, ****, even ats55 ot aus8 will do & frn instead of the g10, other than that. leave it the way it is :)
sal

Post by sal »

The probs with Lil' Temp production were in vendor problems.

There will be a Lil' Temp in the future. We're still working on which variation to make. FRN, Carbon Fiber, Titanium?

Hoping for a late '05 intro.

sal
argyll

Post by argyll »

Sal,

If things are stil being bandied about, I'd like to advocate for a deeper pocket clip.

Best regards,

Argyll
Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit -- Ovid (He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)
HoB

Post by HoB »

Arrrghhh, Mr. Glesser!!!! You have the uncanny ability of making me drop things!!!! When I read Ti, and CF Lil' T it just happened again, luckily I didn't spill my coke all over the keyboard :p .

A Lil'T in Ti....Pleeeeeeease!!!! :D

Golem, I don't know if you ever handled the current Lil'T. Even though the specs make it sound like a small knife, but even in comparison to the Chinook II and the even the Manix, it is not small. Actually I would put it in about the same size category as the Chinook
JD Spydo

With all due respect

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:The probs with Lil' Temp production were in vendor problems.

There will be a Lil' Temp in the future. We're still working on which variation to make. FRN, Carbon Fiber, Titanium?

Hoping for a late '05 intro.

sal
Sir please consider this. On handle Material. Please do Carbon Fiber & Titanium both. If you do FRN then also make it an economical version with even another blade steel like AUS-10 or VG-10. Also I would like to see the big Temperance in S30V with a holster type sheath. As usual just a suggestion. Does anyone agree with me? :)
Ted

Post by Ted »

I like it just the way it is :D :D :D
So, how about a 'bye-bye-final-goodbye' run in black G-10? :)
golem

Post by golem »

Holy crap!

What did I just read?

A titanium integral compression lock Lil'Temperance???!!!

Yeeeeeheeheehee...
Muuuuuhaahaahaa...
I am a happy man...
eh...
Grab me another beer...
BURP!
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

I think the Lil Temp bears the distinction of being my favorite Spyderco knife that I never bought. [not sure that parses right :) ] I love the concept, like a Calypso Jr. on steroids. Rock solid security in the handle, strong lock, and that great flat-ground blade shape.
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

ti Lil'!?!
where do I sign?
jbake

Post by jbake »

OK... I'll be the voice of [respectful] dissent.

I don't think I would like the Ti or Carbon Fiber.

I like the way G10 grabs you back. The ergonomics of that knife and the grippy G10 are what make that knife so good, IMHO.

Ti or Carbon Fiber would be too slick.
So I would personally like to see FRN. Would be cheaper too.

A final run of black G10 Lil T's would be awesome.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I'm not likely to be a Lil Temp user, being in the 21st century slipjoint camp now, so take this suggestion for whatever it is worth:

Combined with an FRN handle, this would be the perfect opportunity to have a regular production model with ZDP-189 steel.

Paired with a limited production S30V stateside-made model, with either a CF or Ti handle to satisfy the high-end user.
"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham
HoB

Post by HoB »

As long as you keep the compression lock, I could be talked into a FRN with a ZDP-189 blade :-). But I don't think that Spyderco will make a FRN handled knife with compression lock?!