Teflon Washers

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nex

Teflon Washers

Post by Nex »

I have a ROC cleaver from spyderco that is running teflon washers, it works well enough but there is some blade play I'm not too fond of. When the knife is closed I can push the blade far enough to either side to touch the liners, with not very much force at all. However if I tighten the pivot enough to get rid of the play, then it becomes incredibly difficult to open the knife. I am wondering if changing to bronze washers would get rid of the blade play, and has anyone ever done this before?
We must be afraid of neither poverty nor exile nor imprisonment; of fear itself only should we be afraid.
All the best, https://diceus.com/erp-software-development/
Darth_cholo

Re: Teflon Washers

Post by Darth_cholo »

Generally speaking I'd like to know where people buy replacement washers too. (Phosphor bronze).
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Darth_cholo wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:18 am
Generally speaking I'd like to know where people buy replacement washers too. (Phosphor bronze).
Count me in as well!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Blade play while the knife is closed is absolutely meaningless. Despite what some Internet "experts" would have you believe, there's nothing wrong with teflon washers.
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:20 am
Darth_cholo wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:18 am
Count me in as well!
I go to Knifekits.com.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Nex wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:35 pm
I am wondering if changing to bronze washers would get rid of the blade play, and has anyone ever done this before?
Welcome to the Spyderco Forums Nex! I don't see how changing to phosphor bronze washers would solve you're problem. The Teflon washers, in the couple knives I have with them, are actually pretty hard. I can't say for sure but I think bronze washers of the same size might actually be more flexible. And, quite honestly, it seems to me like Teflon washers would be the tougher material.

As dsvirsky has suggested, blade play when the blade is closed isn't really important providing the blade's not rattling around. How does the blade lock up when it's open?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

I agree open blade play is the only concern. I think most if not all of mine have play while closed.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

My Cruwear pm2 has no play closed, open, lock depressed, nothing. And it almost swings freely.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

dsvirsky wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:26 am
Blade play while the knife is closed is absolutely meaningless. Despite what some Internet "experts" would have you believe, there's nothing wrong with teflon washers.
+1
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Another place to get bronze washers is, usaknifemakers.com. I also agree that blade play when a knife is closed is a non issue. On some of my knives I like the Teflon washers because they tend to have less blade bounce when flicking the knife closed. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The more blade play you have when closed, the closer you are to having blade play when locked. If you have blade play when closed and none when locked, the lock is taking all the stress from use. If there is no blade play at all, the washers aid your lock. One situation is obviously better than the other for longevity.

I've had knives with teflon washers that had no blade play, and when I made a mistake and too much lateral pressure was applied to the blade, all of a sudden I had blade play. This happens. Phosphor bronze washers are definitely superior, both for action and durability.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

What Pelagic says is true. Blade play when the knife is unlocked is not your friend.

If you take a liner type or compression lock knife, open it, hold it cutting edge up with the tang against the stop pin and the lock disengaged (with you thumb) and you have lateral blade play your knife could do with some adjustment.

Holding the knife in the same way (lock disengaged) if you pull the tip away from the handle and push the blade to one side you’ve eliminated blade play the same way your lock bar would by ‘jamming’ the blade against thrust washers, pivot and stop pin.

Irrespective of material the only prerequisite for thrust washers is they be flat and parallel.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Nex,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

The problem with the internet is that when one person finds a "problem" and posts about it; hundreds of others realize they have a "problem' too. I sometimes wonder how these people live with all the ocd scrutinizing required. Blade centering has never bugged me if it didn't rub the liners, but this is a new level of paranoia. If the knife is solid in the using position, and the blade is not rattling around dramatically in the closed position, why worry about anything?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

araneae wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:18 am
The problem with the internet is that when one person finds a "problem" and posts about it; hundreds of others realize they have a "problem' too. I sometimes wonder how these people live with all the ocd scrutinizing required. Blade centering has never bugged me if it didn't rub the liners, but this is a new level of paranoia. If the knife is solid in the using position, and the blade is not rattling around dramatically in the closed position, why worry about anything?
Blade centering is different and mostly just a cosmetic issue. My 204p military is off center and it doesn't bother me. But as far as blade play when closed goes, I explained why it would be beneficial to eliminate it. There is a reason why all washers aren't teflon.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?