Spyderco/Phil Wilson Bow River

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mb1

Re: Spyderco/Phil Wilson Bow River

Post by mb1 »

Handled this today. It’s a great knife and should sell well.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

blendergasket wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:06 pm
Does Spyderco ever do sprint runs on their Chinese knives? It would be great to have a fixed blade in interesting steels that is still relatively inexpensive.
Don’t remember a sprint. But cutlery shop did an exclusive of the tenacious.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

mb1 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:26 pm
How is the sheath? I’m still in shock over the price. I always bag on Spyderco fixed blades for being too expensive. I’m not sure what to say, I guess I should just buy one?

The scales are clever. Looks like wood laminate at a glance in photos but it’s G-10.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:53 pm
mb1 wrote:
How is the sheath? I’m still in shock over the price. I always bag on Spyderco fixed blades for being too expensive. I’m not sure what to say, I guess I should just buy one?

The scales are clever. Looks like wood laminate at a glance in photos but it’s G-10.
Sorry, didn’t see the sheath and didn’t think to ask. Too many knives to take in today.
- Mark

zhyla

Post by zhyla »

mb1 wrote: Sorry, didn’t see the sheath and didn’t think to ask. Too many knives to take in today.
It’s probably just a simple belt loop sheath but ya never know :)
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Did anyone at blade show get a photo or video of this knife? I’m interested in seeing how it fits in the hand and what the sheath looks like. I will most likely be picking this one up as my first fixed blade Spyderco.
swigert

Post by swigert »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:40 pm
Did anyone at blade show get a photo or video of this knife? I’m interested in seeing how it fits in the hand and what the sheath looks like. I will most likely be picking this one up as my first fixed blade Spyderco.
Search “blade show 2018 spyderco” on YouTube. Blade he has a video up with Eric and they show the knife there.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

mb1 wrote:
Wanted to add to my in-depth initial impression above...if you didn't know the steel type/country of origin, and someone handed you this knife, you could easily assume it's price would be triple digits. That's how the quality and feel struck me. The fact that it comes with a leather sheath and will sell for $32 is pretty unbelievable.

So while I initially was puzzled (and still am somewhat) by the branding choice of inexpensive + the Phil Wilson name, I do have to say "wow." Phil Wilson designs work, and getting more of them in people's hands is never a bad thing. At all. :spyder:
- Mark

Germinalphrase

Post by Germinalphrase »

mb1 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:54 am
mb1 wrote:
Wanted to add to my in-depth initial impression above...if you didn't know the steel type/country of origin, and someone handed you this knife, you could easily assume it's price would be triple digits. That's how the quality and feel struck me. The fact that it comes with a leather sheath and will sell for $32 is pretty unbelievable.

So while I initially was puzzled (and still am somewhat) by the branding choice of inexpensive + the Phil Wilson name, I do have to say "wow." Phil Wilson designs work, and getting more of them in people's hands is never a bad thing. At all. :spyder:
Can you comment on edge/stock thickness? I can only assume it’s much stouter than a PW custom....
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Germinalphrase wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:27 am
mb1 wrote:
mb1 wrote:

Can you comment on edge/stock thickness? I can only assume it’s much stouter than a PW custom....
Yeah, it's safe to assume no production model is going to be as thin as a Phil Wilson custom. But this is only 3mm...a hair under 1/8" stock. I think I pinch tested the edge, and it felt nicely thin behind the edge. But honestly, I handled so many blades that day, they all ran together a bit!
- Mark

ZMW

Post by ZMW »

I want this knife in hand already. Come on pre order, get moving!
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

mb1 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:54 am

Yeah, it's safe to assume no production model is going to be as thin as a Phil Wilson custom. But this is only 3mm...a hair under 1/8" stock. I think I pinch tested the edge, and it felt nicely thin behind the edge. But honestly, I handled so many blades that day, they all ran together a bit!
The Moran upswept (and drop point) introduced in the mid 90's, specs out at 3mm so it seems it was quite ahead of its time.

The Gayle Bradley Junction btw is listed at 2.5mm (.098").

edit: The .098" thickness above came from Knifecenter. Spyderco lists 2.6mm (.104").
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

swigert wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:16 am
T_MAC686 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:40 pm
Search “blade show 2018 spyderco” on YouTube. Blade he has a video up with Eric and they show the knife there.
Yeah, I saw the video right when it was posted but he is moving it around so much its hard to get a good idea of it, and he never shows the sheath...
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I really hope Spyderco is making _a lot_ of these.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

roger-roger wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:54 pm
mb1 wrote:

The Moran upswept (and drop point) introduced in the mid 90's, specs out at 3mm so it seems it was quite ahead of its time.

edit: The .098" thickness above came from Knifecenter. Spyderco lists 2.6mm (.104").
Roger, roger-roger. Yeah, I wasn't saying this was the thinnest Spyderco fixed blade, just that it's a safe bet to assume it won't be as thin as another Phil Wilson custom. Phil is known for some pretty thin, awesome slicey knives.

Never noticed that Junction was that stock thickness. :spyder: :spyder:
- Mark

Nate

Post by Nate »

I'll probably get at least a couple of these and regrind one super thin, maybe mod the spine to make a drop point profile as well. Was never willing to do any mods on my South Fork due to the much higher price point.
:spyder:
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

mb1 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:57 am
roger-roger wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:54 pm
mb1 wrote:

Roger, roger-roger. Yeah, I wasn't saying this was the thinnest Spyderco fixed blade, just that it's a safe bet to assume it won't be as thin as another Phil Wilson custom. Phil is known for some pretty thin, awesome slicey knives.

Never noticed that Junction was that stock thickness. :spyder: :spyder:

Roger that, mb1. Can't wait for the release of the Bow River. I'm betting if a version is released in the future with a higher grade steel, we'll see the blade thickness approach that of the Junction. :D

edit: Otoh <3mm is quite thin for a knife that size and length, and you can only go so far considering the duties it was designed for. The Junction was I believe designed as backpack knife, and not necessarily as a full bore hunting knife. I'm not sure how Phil Wilson specs his own customs, but I definitely like knives that stretch the envelope.
Last edited by roger-roger on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Germinalphrase wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:27 am
mb1 wrote:
mb1 wrote:

Hey germinal, I handled the Bow River at Blade too. The grind is relatively thin but not as thin as the bird & trout. I’d put it somewhere in between the b&t and the southfork (which was fairly thick bte). Somewhere around .018” I’d guess.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:14 am
Hey germinal, I handled the Bow River at Blade too. The grind is relatively thin but not as thin as the bird & trout. I’d put it somewhere in between the b&t and the southfork (which was fairly thick bte). Somewhere around .018” I’d guess.
Hey Lance, that gives a nice point of reference. Thx

Also wanted to say I got the Waterway in hand and was quite impressed! Looking fwd to whatever else it is you have up your sleeve...or rather floating around in your bloody kayak saltwater! ;)
- Mark

BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Can we get a picture of the sheath? All we know it that it's leather, but not much other than that.