Why So Few Red Handles?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ugaarguy

Why So Few Red Handles?

Post by ugaarguy »

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while now. With the discontinuation of the Domino, that ended the only red and black weave CF handle knife from Spyderco. Spyderco boxes are red and black, so the red and black weave CF, as well as red and black patterns in other materials, seems like a natural fit that should be on more Spyderco knives. It seems like Spyderco makes just about every other handle color, except for their own company colors. Are interest and sales that low in red, or red and black handles?
Evil D

Re: Why So Few Red Handles?

Post by Evil D »

For a long time red was reserved for trainer knives. That reservation has ended last I heard but it may just not be a very popular color. I personally loved the polished red Persians and I'd love to see more red.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

David nailed it. I’d love to see more red. Fun colour. Oh and orange and blue. More please.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

For a long time red was restricted to use for trainers only. That has since changed, though I don't understand why it has never been more widespread through the catalog. I love red, but I think the masses probably prefer a more subdued color.

edit: late to the game
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wasn't the latest M390 Para 2 sprint a red handle? And, if memory serves, sold out in like 3 hours?

If Spyderco mates a black DLC blade with a red handle, I'll have to buy one, or several. My wife would definitely need to get one. :)

FWIW, I recently swapped the scales on a S110V manix (not LW) to red and black G-10 Anso style, and I'm loving it.

And I think there's currently a budget sprint available with red g-10 handles, isn't there? Tenacious maybe?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd really love to see a red and black handle with a silver stripe and gold bug inlay just like the current box design.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:25 pm
Wasn't the latest M390 Para 2 sprint a red handle? And, if memory serves, sold out in like 3 hours?

If Spyderco mates a black DLC blade with a red handle, I'll have to buy one, or several. My wife would definitely need to get one. :)

FWIW, I recently swapped the scales on a S110V manix (not LW) to red and black G-10 Anso style, and I'm loving it.

And I think there's currently a budget sprint available with red g-10 handles, isn't there? Tenacious maybe?
The red M390 Para 2 was a DLT exclusive. I'd like to hope that they sold out at least in part because they were red, and not just because they were M390 at a much more reasonable price than the blue M390 from BBS.

You're correct that there is a red "check" pattern G10 Tenacious currently available. It's a thin layer of red over a translucent white base, so it almost looks pink. It is a start though.

Evil D, that would look pretty sweet.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:25 pm

If Spyderco mates a black DLC blade with a red handle, I'll have to buy one, or several.

same here! i love the red on the dlt m390 pm2, and i think a dlc blade and black hardware would look amazing with that red g10. how about a red g10 Native with black dlc Cruwear? id be all over that!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
anycal

Post by anycal »

I was hoping for a Military in this color. I guess I'll have to settle for burnt orange.

Peter
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I bladeswapped a SE Delica into the red trainer handle. I like red, and in a way it’s less intimidating because SAKs are red and people know perhaps that you’re not at all trying to hide it. I think a box style handle would be cool.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The box idea has come up before. I still think it would be the most unique offering from Spyderco to date. Gold anodized liners with sculpted and spaced red/black polished G10 scales.

Or was I the only one who had that vision?
*Landon*
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would pass on the gold liners. That knife would look like a pimp's knife. HaHaha! :D

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd buy a "Spyderco Colors" knife in a heartbeat.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:12 pm
I would pass on the gold liners. That knife would look like a pimp's knife. HaHaha! :D

I was envisioning something more subtle, but I see your point.
*Landon*
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

xceptnl wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:54 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Actually, I was just joking. It could be done so that it would be nice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:29 am
xceptnl wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:54 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Actually, I was just joking. It could be done so that it would be nice.
A subtle gold anodized inlay would serve the same purpose. Especially over black liners.
*Landon*
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

I was thinking maybe the red is too close to the classic "Swiss Army" color. I hope not because I think red is desirable especially if rare.
nicktheodore

Post by nicktheodore »

What about pm2 or para 3 trainers can spyderco come out with them since they are tactical blades
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Need more pictures :D

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

farnorthdan wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:29 pm
Need more pictures :D

*wipes drool from the corner of my mouth*
*Landon*