Done with Zero Tolerance

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MichaelScott

Re: Done with Zero Tolerance

Post by MichaelScott »

My 0350 lasted about two weeks. Heavy. Opening recoil like my .380. Could find no real use for the blade shape. Sold it.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I've got the 560 and 562. Wish the 560 was as nice as the 562, but like the size better.

When Hinderer came out with the XM-24 Skinny, I picked one up.

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Looks like a Ford F-250 set to race a Porsche.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Looks can be deceiving.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've tried several ZT's. The only one I still carry is the 0770, and honestly I really like that one It's just got a super high giggle factor for me.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:21 am
I've tried several ZT's. The only one I still carry is the 0770, and honestly I really like that one It's just got a super high giggle factor for me.
Giggle factor is always good :D
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Funny, read a post on Bladeforums a few months ago where the guy swore off Spyderco and Benchmade and announced his switch to ZT and WE.

I have a fair collection of ZTs, Spydercos, Benchmades, and Hinderers. All these companies have produced absolute gems. All of these companies have produced absolute dogs. I've kept the gems :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mako109 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:59 am
Funny, read a post on Bladeforums a few months ago where the guy swore off Spyderco and Benchmade and announced his switch to ZT and WE.

I have a fair collection of ZTs, Spydercos, Benchmades, and Hinderers. All these companies have produced absolute gems. All of these companies have produced absolute dogs. I've kept the gems :)
That's good and fair observation imo.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Can't say I've ever been tempted by ZT, but I've been bitten by the Emerson knives bug once or 8 times. I'll swear them off, then I'll see another model that piques my interest. After a week or so, I'll get tired of the thick, chisel ground edge and ridiculous lock stick, and sell it off. Maybe their slogan should be "#1 Hard to Use Folder".

Actually, my first statement is wrong. I have been tempted by a ZT, the 0777. But I'm not a fan of Speedsafe or flipper tabs, since I prefer to maintain control of the blade while it's opening.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:02 pm
I'm tired of reprofiling crazy thick edges, tired of maintaining ball bearing on these "hard use" knives, and tired of worring about cutting my fingers from lock failure on these knives with 5% lockup. The Spydercos I could buy with the money would perform in a far superior manner.

Anyone else feeling this?
I only have one ZT, the 0450CF. I found the factory edge was way too obtuse to be useful for me. I've found the same on my Kershaw Link and Launch. My guess is that Kershaw/ZT feel that it is a suitable edge for their customers though. The grinds were all very smooth and even, they aren't poorly done. It just isn't very slicey for me. I do dislike that, and very much disliked reprofiling my 0450 (as it is now not as attractive, I don't have the f&f level of ZT or Spyderco). The primary grind is also pretty wedge-shaped though, so I don't think it'll ever glide through cardboard or slice an apple real thin.

As a result I will probably not buy another ZT. But they make quality knives, in my opinion. Their choice of blade grind simply doesn't match my typical use. I think it's unfortunate because the 0450 is so light and slim in the pocket, with a lot of cutting length. I love everything about it except how it performs as a knife... I'm not aware of anything else similar, especially if constrained to Made in the US. The 940 is too much money for me to gamble on that grind being better, or to gamble on the build quality Benchmade seems to be building a reputation for. The UKPK is the closest Spyderco I have to that, and it's a much better slicer right out of the box. But it is not as slim in the pocket, nor does it lock, and the edge is shorter.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'll admit right up front that I've personally never owned or used a "Zero Tolerance" knife at all. But I have looked at a few of them at local gun shows and they did seem to have a good feel to them. But I always wonder about many of these "new kids on the block" so to speak that spend a literal ton of money with all out advertising blitzes.

In the past 3 years it' seems like Zero Tolerance, Hogue and Steel Will all fit that category of coming out of the gate like all gangbusters and I will admit that the 3 companies do make some stuff that is nice for the eye to see. But again I've never owned or used any of the newer knives of the aforementioned new companies.

But I will admit that I'm always suspect of any knife company that comes out of the gate as fast as all 3 of these guys did. Hopefully they mean well and will work out their growing pains and problems associated with new products.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:41 am
I'll admit right up front that I've personally never owned or used a "Zero Tolerance" knife at all. But I have looked at a few of them at local gun shows and they did seem to have a good feel to them. But I always wonder about many of these "new kids on the block" so to speak that spend a literal ton of money with all out advertising blitzes.
ZT is essentially the premium line from Kershaw. Both companies are owned by the KAI group of Japan. KAI makes some of the best production kitchen knives in the world (Shun), shaving razors and blades, and they even make a comprehensive line of surgical blades. ZT is in no way a new kid without experience.
guywithopinion wrote:
knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:02 pm
I'm tired of reprofiling crazy thick edges, tired of maintaining ball bearing on these "hard use" knives, and tired of worring about cutting my fingers from lock failure on these knives with 5% lockup. The Spydercos I could buy with the money would perform in a far superior manner.

Anyone else feeling this?
I only have one ZT, the 0450CF. I found the factory edge was way too obtuse to be useful for me. I've found the same on my Kershaw Link and Launch. My guess is that Kershaw/ZT feel that it is a suitable edge for their customers though. The grinds were all very smooth and even, they aren't poorly done. It just isn't very slicey for me.

That's why I own a ZT 0562, which has one of the thinnest grinds they offer. It's a shame that ZT was started a premium "hard use" brand rather than just a premium brand. KAI's Shun kitchen knives, and even their base model KAI branded kitchen knives, are thin and slicey. I wish they'd apply that knowledge and experience to their ZT and Kershaw folders.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I never even implied that ZT was operating with no experience :confused: What I was stating is that there are 3 companies that I made mention of that seemed to come out of nowhere and then all of a sudden get a ton of fanfare and spend a ton of money on advertising. Then I see this thread where we have a guy who thinks he has some valid complaints about ZT and with that being said I'm just wondering if a new company might just be having some quality control problems.

I'm sure that Spyderco & Benchmade both had growing pains in their early stages as well. Sometimes I think that these newer companies tend to bite off more than they can chew and thus have problems.

Of all 3 companies i mentioned I'm sure they all have some pretty decent stuff on the market in spite of their growing pains. I've sure seen a lot of these companies come and go over the past 15 years or so.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I jist wanted to rant a little before I went off and sold these to try and get more spydie money.

JD brought up Hogue. If Hogue would make thinner less tactical designs, I'd be in. Their G-Marcus g10 is gorgeous.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I've had a few, and have been done for years now. They just aren't for me. I don't think they are a bad company, nor do I think they make bad products, but I find them to be too heavy for my taste, among other reasons.
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:19 pm
That's why I own a ZT 0562, which has one of the thinnest grinds they offer. It's a shame that ZT was started a premium "hard use" brand rather than just a premium brand. KAI's Shun kitchen knives, and even their base model KAI branded kitchen knives, are thin and slicey. I wish they'd apply that knowledge and experience to their ZT and Kershaw folders.
It's the smallness and lightness of the 0450 that I like though. The 0562 has none of that. There are other knives that slice well that are smaller and lighter and cheaper (and not liner locks, as I'm not a big fan) than the 0562. But it's good to know they make some slicers.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I only have the 0770CFM4. It sucks that Derrick died!

I'm glad that the only ZT I own isn't super overbuilt, it's like their lightweight version of a knife. It's small, carries well, the blade isn't super thick, the lock is steel so it doesn't stick. I can't complain too much, but I wish the blade was uncoated and the assisted open makes closing it more difficult.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
miyamotomusashi

Post by miyamotomusashi »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:38 pm
Picked up my cqc 15 yesterday and thought, man I really like this knife, why don't I carry it anymore? Then I put a little pressure on the thumb ramp and felt the lock slip ever so slightly. Oh yea, that's why. Doesn't help that the edge goes almost all the way to the handle, so if it does slip and close, it will cut your finger. I really need to sell most of them. I'll keep the karambits and the mini 7 though, lock up is still good on those and I really like them.
You're talking about gorgonzola cheese when it's brie time,baby! https://youtu.be/BR6mVmkWBZ8

I agree, Emerson knives are TERRIBLE, and I'll forever boycott them, but this thread is about ZT.

ZT is my all-time favorite, but I'll admit they had some growing pains back when the 0561 was first released. I got one of the earliest ones and hated it. They've made minor changes over the years, like adding the steel-faced lockbar insert that doubles as an over-travel-inhibitor for the lockbar (making the Hinderer discs redundant) as well as adjusting the ttension of the retaining ball detent.

The 0562 is my all time favorite folder, of all time.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Lol, I loved that movie.....
Frank and Beans!!!!
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

I own 9 ZT’s and have zero issues. It’s my fidget spinner therapy. Much better flipping action than my Mantra 1. I love my Mantra 1 but its not %100 reliable in the flipping department. Needs some wrist whereas my ZT’s are 100%

ZT’s are fat and not the best cutters but they work for me. I personally loved the 0400 series. The smaller knives. They are great.

I also can’t wait for the Mantra 3. Eric said they are done with Teflon washers and are now using a bronze phosphorus washer. Plus he said they improved the ball bearing and detent. Should be much better than the 1. I love the shape I’d the blade. It’s like a delica on roids.