Spyderco Titanium BLADED knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Titanium BLADED knives?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Can we ever expect to see Spyderco produce titanium BLADED knives? I am not meaning handles. I mean actual blades made of some of the new titanium alloys that exist.

In one advertisement for a knife, a company claimed there are now new Beta Titanium alloys that can be hardened to the RC 60-61 level. Is that true? If that is true that means these are superior to even many stainless steel blades.

I understand that Lc200N and H1 steel gives you steel that does not rust while still being steel but is there any interest in functional titanium bladed Spyderco folders and fixed blades?
The Meat man

Re: Spyderco Titanium BLADED knives?

Post by The Meat man »

Titanium is not cheap. With the options now available in H-1 and LC200N, I doubt there would be much point in making an all-titanium model, especially if it costs two or three times as much.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Some1

Post by Some1 »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:01 pm
Titanium is not cheap. With the options now available in H-1 and LC200N, I doubt there would be much point in making an all-titanium model, especially if it costs two or three times as much.
Agreed, except for job specific knives that need to be non-magnetic
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I personally think there’s enough space to explore with steel alloys. As you said Spyderco has already put a ton of effort into developing corrosion resistant alloys. And hardness alone doesn’t tell the whole story so careful making conclusions just on that number.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Some1 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:03 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:01 pm
Agreed, except for job specific knives that need to be non-magnetic

That is true. It would be a pretty small niche market though.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

tvenuto wrote:
I personally think there’s enough space to explore with steel alloys.

Exactly. We're only just starting develop nitrogen based steels. I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more options down the road in this area.
- Connor

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

tvenuto wrote:
I personally think there’s enough space to explore with steel alloys. As you said Spyderco has already put a ton of effort into developing corrosion resistant alloys. And hardness alone doesn’t tell the whole story so careful making conclusions just on that number.
Very true. It really is amazing. Many years ago I was having a discussion with someone who claimed to have machinist and metallurgical knowledge, and he told me "Steel is at its final peak point, it is at its end. There is no more room for new alloys. We have discovered all there is to know about steel." and then what happens? H1. Lc200n. And all the other numerous new ones such as powder metallurgy based alloys.

And that does not even scratch the surface when it comes to molecular integration of nano fibers and other materials into steel.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:12 pm

Very true. It really is amazing. Many years ago I was having a discussion with someone who claimed to have machinist and metallurgical knowledge, and he told me "We have discovered all there is to know about..."

Never believe someone who says that. :D
- Connor

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:12 pm
tvenuto wrote:
Very true. It really is amazing. Many years ago I was having a discussion with someone who claimed to have machinist and metallurgical knowledge, and he told me "Steel is at its final peak point, it is at its end. There is no more room for new alloys. We have discovered all there is to know about steel." and then what happens? H1. Lc200n. And all the other numerous new ones such as powder metallurgy based alloys.

And that does not even scratch the surface when it comes to molecular integration of nano fibers and other materials into steel.
Honda said that about 2 strokes.... Liars.

How would a Ti blade behave? Would it be a Ti alloy?
I would hate to see the price.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

The ones I have are titanium with a carbide edge. One of them (a Mummert):

sal

Post by sal »

We've done quite a bit of testing. Have not been impressed enough to make one. Some one would have to convince me with real performance., not talk.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Personally I can't see any advantages that a "titanium" blade would have. Now some time back BOKER had one in their line up of culinary blade. They said that the titanium blade with the exotic coating it had made it highly resistant to bacteria. Also most titanium alloys would be fairly easy to sharpen and that would bode well for a kitchen/chefs knife.

On the other hand I've heard that there are types of titanium coatings that would do well on many different types of fixed blade knives and especially kitchen knives.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have a few "Beta" ti knives from Mission. It performs kind of like the 420j "surgical steel" knives and just better than the pot metal pakistan knives sold two for a dollar at the dollar store that don't seem to be heat treated at all. Not up to the level of "440 stainless" knives so available on todays market. The titanium does not sharpen on my stones like 420j though. It is more abrasive wear resistant and does not burr up and snap off like the steel knives. It is a different feeling than steel.
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Currently doing a review on Bladeforums and a few others on kitchen knives that use diamond particles in a titanium matrix.
One of these already was tested by a professional Chef in a commercial kitchen.
Google Diamond Titanium knives if you're interested.

The knives are made by the same Japanese company Forever who also made the knives for Boker several years ago, and they still make them under their own name.
Just as the diamond titanium knives these don't have some form of coating but use various ceramic particles (among which CBN) in a titanium matrix.
I did a review on this type several years ago, also on Bladeforums.
Both types also use silver particles for it's active anti-bacteriological properties.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I've also played with ti in sharp objects and I wasn't impressed. Ti is a great metal but it's just not for blades.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

I use a stiletto type ti dive knife not for cutting, but for braining speared fish. Still holding out for a smaller Fish Hunter, hopefully this year as the cutting edge would provide more confidence for emergency situations. 2-7/8" blade?
sal

Post by sal »

HI Roger,

No plans for a smaller one. You might regrind an H1 Enuff?

sal
sal

Post by sal »

FYI on the magnetism thing. I made a titanium sign for a show, 1" x 3". I put it ion my pocket with nothing else in any of my pockets. I walked through a metal detector at the court house to test the material and the Ti was picket up. Just saying.

sal
AGMartinez

Post by AGMartinez »

sal wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:30 pm
FYI on the magnetism thing. I made a titanium sign for a show, 1" x 3". I put it in my pocket with nothing else in any of my pockets. I walked through a metal detector at the court house to test the material and the Ti was picked up. Just saying.

Sal
But will a neodymium stick to it? The metal detectors bounce a signal, theyre not an attractor. Does Spyderco do any research with SM-100/HipTiNite or Talonite?
No more liner locks. Lock backs and fixed blades are the only knives. Get rid of the weak. Our desire for steel is as our desire for gemstones, they are software to our bioelectric hardware.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi AGMartinez,

Not for magnetism or metal scanners.

sal