Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KingRat

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Post by KingRat »

I'm kinda hoping it still has a backlock, and either Native 5 lines or is like the prototype, however I would not throw away a larger Shaman.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I'm very happy to see the hint of a Native Chief. I was disappointed that the Shaman had a compression lock. Although I have new interest that it's a front flipper.

Sal mentioned that the Stop Lock was replacing the Powerlock. Maybe the hush hush is because the Chief is the first model with the Stop Lock. That would be great!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

sal wrote:The Native "Chief" has been on hold for some 15 - 20 years. I imagine we can get it to queue if there is demand. I'll watch the thread.

The Shaman is designed to be 3.5" blade length which is legal in more places that the Chief's 4.0" blade. Eric also has a smaller Native in-the-works.

sal
I'd certainly like to buy one, especially if it has a 3D handle like the Shaman.
5-by-5 wrote:I'm very happy to see the hint of a Native Chief. I was disappointed that the Shaman had a compression lock. Although I have new interest that it's a front flipper.

Sal mentioned that the Stop Lock was replacing the Powerlock. Maybe the hush hush is because the Chief is the first model with the Stop Lock. That would be great!
Sal mentioned in the Shaman thread that it's not actually a flipper.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
UK KEN

Post by UK KEN »

I have been waiting many years for a Chief.......I would certainly have one, or two. :) I would like to see a 4 inch, back lock, 3D scales (any material) thank you. :D
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

The stop lock proto was featured on a Paul Alexander design if I remember correctly.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I'm still hoping we see the Chief soon, even though there are a lot of Native's (Native 5, Shaman, Lil' Natives) on the market now.

Four inch blade, with a Golden back lock, would be awesome.

I keep looking for it when the catalog and supplement come out, as well as the Amsterdam meet pics. One day.
argyle1812

Post by argyle1812 »

Large backlock folder in something other than black is always a win in my book.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have to say I have no interest in a large folder. These days I think fixed for larger knives.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Bump, owing to news from Blade Show 2018 (thanks, Sumdumguy).
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Had a chance to hold the Chief today. Very nice design. Longer and more slender than the Native. Think of an elongated Native. I like it.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
attila

Post by attila »

So it's like a Native 5 stretched to the size of a Military? I really like that mental image!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

How does it compare to the Shaman? I would love a Shaman with another half inch or so of cutting edge.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I’m really hoping for this to be in FRN, but I doubt it.
levs18

Post by levs18 »

WireEdge Roger wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:41 am
I’m really hoping for this to be in FRN, but I doubt it.
Also hoping it’s FRN!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I think hopes for FRN will be dashed.

If I have understood Sal correctly, molds cost a ton and Spyderco won't invest in them until a model's popularity has been established.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:49 am

If I have understood Sal correctly, molds cost a ton and Spyderco won't invest in them until a model's popularity has been established.

That must happen faster than we know or there's more to it than simply sales. How long was the Native 5 out before it got a FRN version? Could just be the Native was a safer bet compared to an entirely new model.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If this is basically a 4" Shaman I am all over it!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:11 am
wrdwrght wrote:

That must happen faster than we know or there's more to it than simply sales. How long was the Native 5 out before it got a FRN version? Could just be the Native was a safer bet compared to an entirely new model.
Not long, to be sure, but the Native5 did ride in on the popularity of four other iterations, no?

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Pics?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:31 am
Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:11 am
wrdwrght wrote:

Not long, to be sure, but the Native5 did ride in on the popularity of four other iterations, no?

Yeah that's what I mean, it kinda had a head start compared to models like this that are totally new. It makes me want to know the sales numbers behind others like the Manix 2 back lock and Shaman, maybe they have FRN in their future.
~David