2018 Spyderco Mid-Year Product Guide - LIVE!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: 2018 Spyderco Mid-Year Product Guide - LIVE!

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm super impressed with the mid-year update.

I'll be getting SEVERAL of the Bow Rivers. Can you say "PERFECT GIFT?"

The Kapara, Tropen, Amalgam, and Paysan are MUST-HAVES.

The HatchetHawk looks perfect for camping...

The Brouwer, Smock, and Mantra 3? I'll have to try those in hand first.

Super impressed with the Kapara and Tropen. They look like slicey beasts!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Holy Moly, lots of love!!! This has more “must haves” for me than any catalog or supplement for years. Yikes!

-autonomy
-wharnie Salt 2
-Mantra
-Bow River

All are “must haves”.

Then there’s about 4 more that I really want but aren’t quite in the “mandatory purchase” category.

$$$$. :eek:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I’m curious to see the price point on the Bow River. I’m hoping it will be affordable enough that I can buy several! I am REALLY pleased that we now have access to one of Phil’s designs in a more affordable package.

Edit: just saw the price. $32.00! Yes!!! There are two of these in my future. One for the kitchen and one for the cleaning table!
Last edited by Surfingringo on Thu May 31, 2018 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:31 am
I’m curious to see the price point on the Bow River. I’m hoping it will be affordable enough that I can buy several! I am REALLY pleased that we now have access to one of Phil’s designs in a more affordable package.
$32 MAP!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:31 am
BladeHQ: $32:47
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Flizwit

Post by Flizwit »

So many pleasant surprises, that Drunken is very appealing visually, love the textured titanium and pivot/clip color combo. Techno 2 is still my number one purchase for the year, with the Rhino right behind. If Spyderco ever comes out with a Lil Paysan I’d be all over that, I mean I’m still all over the Paysan but at close to 4” idk if I would ever carry it. Definitely love my 3” and under knives though.
Own: SpyOpera, Kapara, AEB-L Urban, Techno 2, Cat, S30V Dragonfly 2, REC Lil Native, St. Nick’s Lil Native, V-Toku2 Meerkat, McBee, Cruwear Delica.
Previously Owned: CF Caly3 ZDP-189, Sage 1, Lil’ Nilakka
Want: Birdseye Maple Chaparral, Pochi, LC200N Para 3 LW
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Best Mid-Year ever. So many surprises. Must haves: Kapara, Tropen, Autonomy 2
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The catalog looks great, many must-haves for me in this one, such as the Kapara and the Paysan.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Good to see a budget fixed blade finally.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Nick shabazz made a great observation on the Tropen that it APPEARS that the blade extends into the Compression lock. What does everyone see or think?
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

hambone56rx wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:17 pm
Nick shabazz made a great observation on the Tropen that it APPEARS that the blade extends into the Compression lock. What does everyone see or think?
gundamaniac wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:48 am
I'm sure the folks at Spyderco know what they're doing and wouldn't release a knife with such an obvious safety flaw as an exposed sharp blade in the closed position. I have two comments on the compression lock in this design based on my observations-

1. The location of the compression lock tab relative to the flipper means that when closing this knife, one of two things will happen- either you release the compression lock and let the blade swing closed fully, or you keep holding the compression lock and the flipper tab will hit your finger as a sort of "half stop" (this is true on the production sample Amalgam as well). Either way, this means you won't cut yourself in the action of closing the knife.

2. Once the knife IS closed, the heel of the blade that's jutting into the compression lock cutout area appears to have a false edge, like the Spyderco Mamba. If you zoom in on the heel of the blade, you'll see that the edge bevel becomes narrower whereas it is constant thickness everywhere else on the blade. There even appears to be a light reflection there which would make sense if the heel wasn't really sharpened.
Lancerpt

Post by Lancerpt »

Wonder if the PM2 Rex45 will be available by end of year. Historically what is the usual release times of mid year announcements?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Lancerpt wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:50 pm
Wonder if the PM2 Rex45 will be available by end of year. Historically what is the usual release times of mid year announcements?
By the end of the year. Sometimes delays happen with new models in particular.
Strider

Post by Strider »

Subvert is really growing on me.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

"MSRP on the Drunken: $629.95! Wow."

Some sort of a ZT456 handle and they did a hole in the blade and now kinda looks like a Spydiechef blade
Only 459EUR on Lamnia
I guess it will sell like hot cakes :D

Redback - or whatever the name is now - looks nice, cautiously priced, they didn't want to push it with a more exotic steel, that's a certain buy for me

Orange Millie, yeah...it was the time for another Millie in the collection

Paysan: I already sold one kidney for buying the Nirvana, now I have to think about selling the other one...

Very nice catalog
DVC

Post by DVC »

Thank you!
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Bow River is a must have. Nice thin edge, round G10 handle, leather sheath for 30 bucks. Just hope they will be on stock soon and in adequate amount. Its a big seller for sure. Thank you Spyderco for bringing such a great value knife. Phil Wilson is my favourite fixed blade knifemaker. Wanted a knife from him for a long time, but pricing is high for me. Now I can buy two or three.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Igi964 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:54 am
Bow River is a must have. Nice thin edge, round G10 handle, leather sheath for 30 bucks. Just hope they will be on stock soon and in adequate amount. Its a big seller for sure. Thank you Spyderco for bringing such a great value knife. Phil Wilson is my favourite fixed blade knifemaker. Wanted a knife from him for a long time, but pricing is high for me. Now I can buy two or three.

yeah at that price is like the logical step up from Moras but not quite there on the expensive ($50 plus) all around fixed blades realm :cool:
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

https://youtu.be/mv_f9ij_yNg
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Still digging the Mc-'Killer'-Bee :D That's a whole lotta knife in a tiny package.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal