Sal, what are the chances for a AEB-L spydie ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dj moonbat

Re: Sal, what are the chances for a AEB-L spydie ?

Post by dj moonbat »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:03 pm
tvenuto wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:38 pm
Jim you've made your opinion on the steel clear. The vast majority of your statements are not precise enough to confirm or refute, Larrin has addressed the ones that are. If you have data or more precise statements then I'm all ears (but we've done this before).

Additionally, dismissively calling any steel "just a [blank] steel," referring to its origins when discussing knives is patently ludicrous. Almost every single requested steel was originally developed or used for something other than handheld knife blades. The grand irony here is that the one we're discussing was developed or used for an application that's far closer to a handheld knife blade than any of the others.
Actually no it's not.

Razor blade steel.

Mass produced razor blades, have you even seen how razor blades are made?

We aren't talking about straight razors here.

The properties of AEB-L are more than well known, also the reason why almost nobody uses it in production knives.

A few custom guys deal with it here and there, most of the ones I talked to and talk to don't want anything to do with it.

Some do use it on request however.

Believe me it's NOT what some would have people to believe it is, it really isn't.

Most would like AUS-8, BD-1 MUCH better than AEB-L.

I really hope Spyderco makes a Mule Team in AEB-L, I really do. ;)
If they use the same format as the other Mule Teams, it wouldn't get the chance to show the features that make it good. There's no point in making a big steel slab to showcase the strengths of a steel are precisely on the other end of the spectrum.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

How about AEB-L vs Maxamet in a sushi knife? Which one would be "high performance" in that role?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ankerson wrote:
tvenuto wrote:
Jim you've made your opinion on the steel clear. The vast majority of your statements are not precise enough to confirm or refute, Larrin has addressed the ones that are. If you have data or more precise statements then I'm all ears (but we've done this before).

Additionally, dismissively calling any steel "just a [blank] steel," referring to its origins when discussing knives is patently ludicrous. Almost every single requested steel was originally developed or used for something other than handheld knife blades. The grand irony here is that the one we're discussing was developed or used for an application that's far closer to a handheld knife blade than any of the others.
Actually no it's not.

Razor blade steel.

The properties of AEB-L are more than well known, also the reason why almost nobody uses it in production knives.

A few custom guys deal with it here and there, most of the ones I talked to and talk to don't want anything to do with it.

Believe me it's NOT what some would have people to believe it is, it really isn't.

why are you so set on convincing people AEB-L is a bad steel? I've used it and I like it. I know exactly what I'm asking for.
:unicorn
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Vivi wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:09 pm
Ankerson wrote:
tvenuto wrote:

Actually no it's not.

Razor blade steel.

dang dude. why are you so set on convincing people AEB-L is a bad steel? I've used it and I like it. I know exactly what I'm asking for.
I have used it too, along with a lot of other steels.

It never really measured up.

It has it's inteneded use, what it was developed for, disposable razor blades.

The properties are what is needed for that mass production environment, strip steel, it's cheap, easy to machine, stamp out, stainless enough.

My thoughts on AEB-L will never change.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

fanglekai wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:50 pm
How about AEB-L vs Maxamet in a sushi knife? Which one would be "high performance" in that role?
I wouldn't want either one.

But then the Japanese custom makers don't use AEB-L either.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:12 pm
Vivi wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
tvenuto wrote:

Actually no it's not.

Razor blade steel.

dang dude. why are you so set on convincing people AEB-L is a bad steel? I've used it and I like it. I know exactly what I'm asking for.

The properties are what is needed for that mass production environment, strip steel, it's cheap, easy to machine, stamp out, stainless enough.

S7 was made for jackhammer bits but it makes a good chopper. BG42 was made by Timken for their bearings but some people like it for folders. Few knife steels were designed for knives from the ground up, but they still work fine.

I like AEB-L, it takes an amazing edge easily and works well with thin edges.

I would never go into a thread on S110V or K390 and say the steel is junk that shouldn't be used just because those steels have properties that don't align with what I want from a knife steel. Why are you doing that with our thread of AEB-L? We all know you don't like it. Continuing to participate in this thread doesn't seem productive if all you're going to contribute is that you don't like it.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Vivi wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:22 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Vivi wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Actually no it's not.

Razor blade steel.

S7 was made for jackhammer bits but it makes a good chopper. BG42 was made by Timken for their bearings but some people like it for folders.

I like AEB-L, you're never changing that. I would never to into a thread on S110V or K390 and say the steel is junk that shouldn't be used just because those steels have properties that don't align with what I want from a knife steel.
AEB-L has one quality, it's easy to sharpen, extremely easy to sharpen.

But it dulls FAST in general, that depends on what one is cutting however.

If you like that steel fine, everyone is different.

I pointed out what it is and what it's for and what it's not.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:20 pm
fanglekai wrote:

And what kind of alloys do they use? Are the properties closer to AEB-L or Maxamet?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

fanglekai wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:27 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:20 pm
fanglekai wrote:

And what kind of alloys do they use? Are the properties closer to AEB-L or Maxamet?

The good ones use Super Blue and White Steel generally.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:26 pm
Vivi wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
Vivi wrote:

S7 was made for jackhammer bits but it makes a good chopper. BG42 was made by Timken for their bearings but some people like it for folders.

I like AEB-L, you're never changing that. I would never to into a thread on S110V or K390 and say the steel is junk that shouldn't be used just because those steels have properties that don't align with what I want from a knife steel.

So the people in this thread probably prioritize quickness of sharpnening over the presence of numerous vanadium carbides. You don't. We get that. Broken record at this point. I'd rather take a Military made out of swiss army knife steel and you would rather have one in S110V, and neither knife is worse than the other, just different.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Vivi wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:31 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:26 pm
Vivi wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

So the people in this thread probably prioritize quickness of sharpnening over the presence of numerous vanadium carbides. You don't. We get that. Broken record at this point.

It's not just the high V steels I am comparing it too. ;)

It doesn't even measure up to AUS-8, BD-1 or VG-10
Last edited by Ankerson on Thu May 31, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yeah you think only misinformed people prefer it to AUS8 :rolleyes:

I could get my EDC knife in AUS8 but I chose BD1 instead because I like it better. I'd choose AEB-L over AUS8 too. AUS8 always felt softer and more prone to burring when sharpening based on the knives I've owned in that steel.

You're not the sole authority on knife steels. You don't think it measures up to AUS8? Good for you. I disagree. Why are you spending your thursday night telling people who like AEB-L that it's abad steel despite our good experiences with it? That is just weird.
Last edited by vivi on Thu May 31, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Vivi wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:33 pm
MOST people have never seen it, used it or even been in the same room with a knife made from it.

Some of us actually have, and in a number of different knives.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:36 pm
Vivi wrote:
MOST people have never seen it, used it or even been in the same room with a knife made from it.

Why are you acting like I'm one of those people despite stating multiple times I've used it? What do you have to gain from telling someone that enjoys this steel that it's bad? You're not convincing me of anything.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Vivi wrote:

I could get my EDC knife in AUS8 but I chose BD1 instead because I like it better. I'd choose AEB-L over AUS8 too. AUS8 always felt softer and more prone to burring when sharpening based on the knives I've owned in that steel.
AUS-8 can be gummy if it's too soft or with a bad HT.

I have seen that before with AUS-8.

AUS-8 with a good HT is a pretty good steel.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Vivi wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:37 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:36 pm
Vivi wrote:

Why are you acting like I'm one of those people despite stating multiple times I've used it? What do you have to gain from telling someone that enjoys this steel that it's bad? You're not convincing me of anything.
Actually I am not.

I said if you like it fine, everyone is different.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:37 pm

AUS-8 with a good HT is a pretty good steel.
Same with..........wait for it.........aeb-l :rolleyes:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

dj moonbat wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:19 pm
Ankerson wrote:
tvenuto wrote:

Actually no it's not.

Razor blade steel.

If they use the same format as the other Mule Teams, it wouldn't get the chance to show the features that make it good. There's no point in making a big steel slab to showcase the strengths of a steel are precisely on the other end of the spectrum.

That would be an apples to apples comparison if they made a Mule Team out of it. I do still have my BD-1 Mule Team here and some others to run it against and compare to.

That said I have tested AEB-L ground thin, like .006" behind the edge in a custom knife.

Yeah it did do better than some production blades that were 3X to 5X thicker behind the edge. That's not a realistic comparison however by any means.

But bring it to an back to apples to apples in like customs that were .006" behind the edge and we are right back to were we were for a more realistic comparison. That comparison was done by me and others.
Some1

Post by Some1 »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:27 pm
dj moonbat wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
tvenuto wrote:

Actually no it's not.

Razor blade steel.

That would be an apples to apples comparison if they made a Mule Team out of it. I do still have my BD-1 Mule Team here and some others to run it against and compare to.

That said I have tested AEB-L ground thin, like .006" behind the edge in a custom knife.

Yeah it did do better than some production blades that were 3X to 5X thicker behind the edge. That's not a realistic comparison however by any means.

But bring it to an back to apples to apples in like customs that were .006" behind the edge and we are right back to were we were for a more realistic comparison. That comparison was done by me and others.
Someone else said it but it's true. You are not some steel guru. You're just a guy that's played with some steels and found what you like best, generally whatever Phil Wilson told you to like. You think you finding what works best for you makes you better than others who've found what works best for them? You're just a man, like anyone else. Give it a rest. Even your own recommendations for an all around knife steel are different that what you say is best.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Some1 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:46 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:27 pm
dj moonbat wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Actually no it's not.

Razor blade steel.

Someone else said it but it's true. You are not some steel guru. You're just a guy that's played with some steels and found what you like best, generally whatever Phil Wilson told you to like. You think you finding what works best for you makes you better than others who've found what works best for them? You're just a man, like anyone else. Give it a rest. Even your own recommendations for an all around knife steel are different that what you say is best.

Some steels?

I tested just about all of them over the years at one point or another.

That said the steel should match the intended use of the knife so that will change depending on the knife and intended use.

We have choices.

Different steels for different types of uses.

I wouldn't use 5160 or any knife steel for F18 landing gear as an example.
Last edited by Ankerson on Thu May 31, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.