Show your Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
terry mc

Re: Show your Mule

Post by terry mc »

Well after a few days of glueing,
First the G10 to the Shokwood, then drilling the scales for pins, and yesterday gluing the scales on.
Today I got to start the shaping process.
I told myself I would not get in a hurry but once I started I could not quit until it was done today.

Getting closer

I was very pleased with the progress so I kept going and did the final sanding and polish!
terry mc

Post by terry mc »

So now for the final product.

I am thinking of calling it Planet MT.

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Awesome! Beautifully done terry! :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Extremely nice! Congrats!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
terry mc

Post by terry mc »

Thanks guys,
I should have another one to share in a couple weeks.
My wife threatened to steal this one before it was even shaped.
SOOOO I bought a Damascus Mule Team blade for her off of Ebay and have some
more Shokwood coming in "Shamrock Luck" color (Emerald Green) which if anything the wood pattern is even nicer than what I used on this knife.
So if I do my part it should blow this one into the second best column.

I will post up once I start on it.
darbyt

Post by darbyt »

I welcome. For the beginning I wanted to say hello.
It my first Mule 23 CPM of 20 CV in the plan next. I am greeting
Crux

Post by Crux »

That...is...f'n...awesome. I might be in love. So, how well do you two get along? Are either of you feeling a little insecure or maybe just a lack of attention? I don't know if I can help, but as a friend and a concerned citizen, I would be willing to test your bonds, but only to strengthen them. Through a scientific separation anxiety test that I would be willing to conduct at absolutely ZERO cost, ZERO shaming or aggravation to you. I would also wave any liabilities that might arise during the shipment of this knife or any financial contributions to me. I don't like to bring up politics, especially during these uncertain days, but in light of the growing increase in the call for a gun ban and not just guns, but KNIVES, I would like to offer my services. Being that this is an amazing knife, but yet a potential burden for many, I urge you to consider my offer. This knife of unwanted cutlery can find a welcome home where it's blade will not only remain factory sharp but you and the leather will be celebrated daily. You probably or at least have a real good chance you won't be investigated by the Secret Service.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
terry mc

Post by terry mc »

So I have done a couple more knives since my last visit and have at least 3 more to do in the near future.
Here are some of the newly completed pair along with a couple pics with the first one.
I started carrying my Mule and a few people have asked how much to make one.
I shot them a number and they jumped on board. OK, well nothing like adding more work to my schedule.
At least it is something that I love completing.

This is all three of my first knives together.

This one uses a color called metallic forest. It has a lot of copper tones to it so I also made the spacers out of copper sheet.
Lesson learned, next time the copper spacers are an extra charge as they added a lot of labor to sand and finish over my standard
G10 spacers.
I also had 2 of the pins in copper to continue the accent.
This side of the knife actually looks like Tigers Eye stone as the material shimmers in different spots as
you rotate the material, all with a gold or copper tone.

What is coming up Red is actually more of a copper color in person.
Also I did clean out of the lanyard holes after taking the pictures. DUH! should have done that first.
I am very very happy with how this one came out.
My wife asked me if I was really going to sell that one once I was done because she was that enamored with it.
The new owner was just ECSTATIC today when we met. I am glad he appreciates it and the work that went into it.

Now for the Purple People eater.
So my good friend and also the first person to order a knife from me told me to find some Purple for his knife.
I found some, BOY DID I FIND SOME!

I was a little hesitant when I sent the pictures of the material to him, but he loved it so I moved forward with it.
Now that is done, I am very pleased with the result.
Purple is not my color however the result is very sharp in a very extroverted way.

So now for the next batch,
I have my wifes knife which is a Damascus Mule with scales made of a color called Tiffany Burberry.
I should be extremely sharp as it is a teal color with copper metallic streak in it.
The I have a spec knife that I am doing that is much more of a subtle knife with a Patina'd blade, with polished accents and
Dymalux charcole scales.
I guess until next time its back to the Bench.
Skinner

Post by Skinner »

Just finished my first mule team project with the Micromelt A11. The smaller one is for myself and larger one for my dad's birthday. They are made from osage orange and desert ironwood. After rough shaping on a belt grinder, i finished them with progressively finer sandpaper and 0000 steel wool with multiple coats of food grade mineral oil and final layers of gunstock wax. Happy with my first attempt.
The attachment IMG_1336.JPG is no longer available
Attachments
IMG_1336.JPG
Skinner

Post by Skinner »

IMG_1335.JPG
Skinner

Post by Skinner »

IMG_1342.JPG
Skinner

Post by Skinner »

IMG_1562.JPG
Skinner

Post by Skinner »

IMG_1563.JPG
Skinner

Post by Skinner »

IMG_1564.JPG
terry mc

Post by terry mc »

Here is the latest knife.
A friend called me last week and asked if I could do a knife for his dad's birthday.
I said sure and asked when it was.
He told me and it worked out to 2 days later. I kind of laughed and said I could do it but we would be late for
his birthday.
So I put in some OT so to speak and got it done tonight.

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Absolutely beautiful terry!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
terry mc

Post by terry mc »

Thanks Meat Man,
These Mules are addictive.
And I have lots of people that like the finished product so they just keep coming.

I have at least 2 more in the near future that I will be doing.
The first one is a Patina'd blade with Laminate scale to it, and then the wifes
Which should be really sharp as I bought a Damascus Mule and have scales in a color called
Tiffany Burberry which is a Turquoise with copper swirls in it, along with a burled wood.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Terry MC quite lovely !
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
terry mc

Post by terry mc »

Thanks Jon
terry mc

Post by terry mc »

So the latest knife is a bit of a diversion from the others.
This one uses no Shokwood but embraces a tough laminate material, known as Dymalux.
The color I chose is Coffee.
In another twist I chose to experiment with this blade and do a Patina on it.
I am still using the PMA11 steel which is a carbon steel so it took a patina well.

The pins and the Lanyard hole are all Stainless steel which on hindsight is a bit of a pain with a hard steel.
But I am pleased with the end product.
The handle also is thicker than previous knives and has a more rounded from edge.
It is asymetrical to fit a right handed person with a distinct palm swell on the right and a flat for the fingers on the left.
These are changes that I intend to do more on future blade handles.

The patina alone took longer than a whole handle usually does as it took a lot of experimenting to get the patina I wanted.
I went thru several acidic materials to come up with the layered finish that I wanted, including Grapefruit, Mustard, and Vinegar.
I have a couple spots I want to touch up and need to repolish the edge. (Ultrafine ceramic stone and 2 layers of stropping with first 1 micron diamond paste and then .5 micron diamond paste on a wood strop)

Notice on this side how the middle comes to a point, the palm swell.

Notice how this side it has a small flat which is perfect for the fingers.

In the mean time back to the bench, I need to start on the Damascus MT07 for my wife.

Terry Mc.