Stretch 2 G10 input needed.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
warbow150

Stretch 2 G10 input needed.

Post by warbow150 »

Hi, all
I'm seriously considering a Stretch 2 in the brown G10. I don't have the ability to handle one before I buy, so I'm hoping for a bit of feedback. For background, I typically carry a Manix 2 but I'm looking for something a bit smaller in the pocket and the PM2 has never really done it for me. So, a few questions:
1. Is the backlock on the stretch 2 G10 the same level of those on the Native 5 and Manix 2 backlocks? I've been very impressed with those.
2. I'd like to say I'm ignorant about ZDP189, but I haven't quite made it up to that level yet. Anyone have any thoughts on the steel based on use?
3. Is it a solid design in terms of feel, fit and finish? Blade play issues?
4. Any general use reviews greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Re: Stretch 2 G10 input needed.

Post by kodai78 »

I have DF 2 and a Delica in ZDP 189. I like the steel. I don’t have trouble touching it up in the Sharpmaker. I would like to add Stretch to my collection sometime. Hope that helps. I’m sure you’d love the knife if it found it’s way to your door.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I don't own a stretch 2, but I do have several ZDP Spydies (Delica, Endura and two Dragonflies).

I really like the ZDP on the D-Fly. I haven't had any issues with it at all, and really like to for a small, precise blade. It sharpens well (I can get it super sharp) and holds that edge for long enough to make me happy. I don't have an apples-to-apples comparison, but my general feeling on edge holding is that it's not up to the level of Maxamet or K390, but definitely better than s30v--around the level of s90v maybe?
Luke2236

Post by Luke2236 »

I love the stretch. It is my favorite Spyderco knife period. However the stretch 2 doesn’t fit my hand nearly as good as the original. ZDP-189 is great steel,takes an amazing edge and keeps it for a good while in my experience. I don’t have a sharpmaker but it has always been easy to maintain on my edgepro. Hope this helps you some.
Wanted: M4 PM 2 or manix M4.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I only have an original Stretch FRN. It’s a great design, I’m sure the Stretch 2 is solid. But having used an FRN Stretch I have to ask: why G-10? The FRN version is lighter, way cheaper, and has lots of ergonomic curves that the G-10 version lacks.
Luke2236

Post by Luke2236 »

Search YouTube for Michael Christy. He did a video about the G10 stretch 2.
Wanted: M4 PM 2 or manix M4.