So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Post by Pelagic »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:01 pm
Everyone is an expert. Guess I followed the wrong expert the first time lol now I'll try a new expert
Lol. Become your own expert. I can't speak from experience unfortunately but maxamet doesn't seem like anything special. Just another high carbide steel with exceptional edge retention.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:11 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Everyone is an expert. Guess I followed the wrong expert the first time lol now I'll try a new expert
Lol. Become your own expert. I can't speak from experience unfortunately but maxamet doesn't seem like anything special. Just another high carbide steel with exceptional edge retention.
K390 was much nicer to sharpen but Maxamet is not terrible. Got that K390 insane sharp though by comparison.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

Well, I don't claim to be an expert. But I have found that 15dps, no micro bevel does the best.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I really hope not.

I guess I better go buy back ups for my maxamet manix and native.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Ippon wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:19 pm
Well, I don't claim to be an expert. But I have found that 15dps, no micro bevel does the best.
I do that on everything, always have, no issues.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:16 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:11 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
K390 was much nicer to sharpen but Maxamet is not terrible. Got that K390 insane sharp though by comparison.
Yea be your own expert. I'm not trying to make disciples. I'm just sharing what I found works for me and may work for others.

Never blindly follow anything, always try to seek deeper understanding.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I'd rather not be an expert at sharpening Maxamet, I just want to get it sharp. At this point I should probably just trade my sharpener for someone to sharpen it.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:22 pm
I really hope not.

I guess I better go buy back ups for my maxamet manix and native.
Haha right?

I'm not sure if the FRN models are still in stock because they are being produced or if it's just stock that's not selling and no new ones are being made and restocked.

I just want a Maxamet military :D
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:53 pm
I'd rather not be an expert at sharpening Maxamet, I just want to get it sharp. At this point I should probably just trade my sharpener for someone to sharpen it.
I don't want to open a can of worms here, but have you tried stropping it? I use a strop block from Knives Plus, helps get it that nice shaving sharp and polishes the bevel a little. I know you can get knives shaving sharp just using stones, but I must have shakey hands or something because sometimes I can manage it, sometimes not. When I can't manage, I find a little stropping will get me the rest of the way there. I also like stropping in between sharpenings to maintain sharpness.

I hope Maxamet is here to stay, but if it's not I'm very glad I picked up a Para and a Native while the gettin was good.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:21 pm
Was trying to follow ApostleP advice from youtube to do 17* and 22* micro bevel
a microbevel is about the size of a bur. It's very, very small. Your knife has two bevels.

See the light reflecting along the red line I drew? That's a microbevel.

When you apply one you want to set the entire bevel to whatever smaller angle you want (In your case, 17°). All the way to the edge. Then, using your more obtuse angle (22°), do 2 or 3 strokes per side.

When you grind the edge at that much more obtuse of an angle than the entire bevel is set at, it removes steel very quickly. That's why you only ned to use 2 or 3 strokes. That's enough to give you a fresh apex. Same thing with touch-ups. If you can't get your microbevel back to hair popping sharp with less than five strokes on the sharpmaker whites or similar stones, reset the entire bevel and start a fresh microbevel.

I can't speak for maxamet in particular and recommend specific angles to try, but this process I described holds true regardless of angle or steel. I find that any folder I EDC does fine being reprofiled to 15 degrees per side with the sharpmaker, then given a 20 degrees per side microbevel. I often go thinner using diamond bench stones freehand, but 15dps with a microbevel is my baseline. I never go thicker.
:unicorn
qwkzotc

Post by qwkzotc »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:12 pm
I am still holding out hope for a Maxamet Military. :D
Me as well.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:29 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:

I think I'm pretty content with my Military collection, but I would have to buy one in Maxamet. I really don't understand why it hasn't happened yet.

I would have to guess that the getting long slim Maxamet blades straight problem is still there...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

Shocking note (for me at least - I must have missed all conversations that this happened): The Para 3 Maxamet really IS sold out at all dealers that are relevant for me. :eek: When did this happen? I thought the bend tip problem only occurred on the longer PM2 blade?

The Para3 was on my list to fill the Maxamet spot... :(
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Looks like I'll need to track down a native.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

archangel wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:52 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:29 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:

I think I'm pretty content with my Military collection, but I would have to buy one in Maxamet. I really don't understand why it hasn't happened yet.

I would have to guess that the getting long slim Maxamet blades straight problem is still there...

Oh I didn't know that was a problem?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I hope not! :eek:

I’ve been patiently waiting for a Military since I bought a couple of Mules when they first came out. :rolleyes:

I wonder about the difficulty in grinding claims particularly look at the Mule’s 0.118” stock and wide/deep blade. :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Guys, remember when some of us panicked when we thought the Spydiechef was going bye bye? Now they're readily in stock. And remember when those original S110V PM2 first dropped? Took me half a year to find one in stock, and now it's also readily available. I guess manufacturing has to catch up with the demand of these Para3 and PM2 Maxamets (I did hear about an issue with the PM2s, and I assume the Spydiecrew is taking time trying to perfect their Maxamet). In my opinion, we shouldn't worry so much about these being discontinued, as the company itself hasn't added them to any disco'd list.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

It sure would be reassuring if someone from Spyderco would chime in here and say "don't panic, Maxamet is here to stay" or something along those lines, though.

My all time favorite EDC is the Manix 2 LW Maxamet, and if they're going to discontinue it I'll stock up. I own way too many knives and the only one that's made me consider just selling everything else is the Maxamet Manix.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

i’m certainly no expert in sharpening, but i get my maxamet blades scary sharp all the time!

i had marginal issues before to get a good edge on them but since i converted my sharpening equipment to diamond and cbn there are no problems anymore - also saves me a lot of time getting s110v elmax and all the other crazy pm steels lasersharp
EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

I did email Spyderco back in January, and I did receive a response. Essentially they said they left the PM2 and Para 3 out of the 2018 catalog due to the problems in the manufacturing process. They said they didn't think it was fair to have them the catalog and not know for sure when they would get the issues worked out. They did say for 2018 the ffn/frcp models would continue as normal.
Although they didn't elaborate on the particulars of the issues, my understanding is that Maxamet can warp in the heat treat process. This is not a direct answer from Spyderco, but what I have heard through various sources was the main issue that showed up with the PM2 was the warped issue. I believe that another company had this issue with Maxamet as well. Apparently it is a **** of a thing to make,lol. Even with this issue the edge itself was straight, so they still perform relatively fine if you have one like that. I suppose the wider leaf shape of the Manix/Native gave additional support towards the tip. If this is the case then it would be even harder to produce the military than the PM2.
As for what the progress is, I have not seen an official update. The PM2 and Para 3 were both made in 2017. I believe Oct and Dec. I would assume since they basically have the market cornered on Maxamet, and they have likely made progress through runs of the Native and Manix, I would assume & very much hope that it isn't dead.
Again, other than what I directly read in their response, the rest of my statement is conjecture at this time.