Sharpmaker bar keepers friend

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holocene Extinction

Sharpmaker bar keepers friend

Post by Holocene Extinction »

Image Just wanted to double check with you guys that this is indeed the correct brand and type of bar keepers friend for cleaning up the Sharpmaker rods.

I’ve seen a liquid version and a different powder version, but I believe this is the correct one.

Bar Keepers Friend Powdered Cleanser & Polish

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00505GB ... ref=plSrch

Thanks in advance.
HarleyXJGuy

Re: Sharpmaker bar keepers friend

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Thanks for asking this I was wondering also.

I have liquid BKF but if that is no good can get whichever.

Thanks.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

Thats what I use.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I gather this is the preferred stuff. I use Comet myself.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:43 pm
Thanks for asking this I was wondering also.

I have liquid BKF but if that is no good can get whichever.

Thanks.

I have the liquid now and it does work but I prefer the powder.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Yep! The powder works great! I put a little on a green Scotchbrite abrasive pad, get the rods wet, and scrub away.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Don't use the liquid, the powder is best. Comet cleaner is not the same. This stuff has abrasive in it.

Also, if you have rust on your blade BKF will take it off like nothing.

Should be in every knife guys arsenal.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
mattman

Post by mattman »

BKF contains oxalic acid, so it works with metal (and rust) particles better than Comet.

I use the powder with good results (noticably better/faster than Comet), but haven't used the liquid, so can't really comet to that.. ;)
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

mattman wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:56 pm
BKF contains oxalic acid, so it works with metal (and rust) particles better than Comet.

I use the powder with good results (noticably better/faster than Comet), but haven't used the liquid, so can't really comet to that.. ;)
:D
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

This might be the preferred, but Comet cleans the stones very well, as I'm sure Ajax would. Any of the powders I'm sure would be fine. I've used Comet, because that's what we had in the house, and it definitely works.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Holocene Extinction wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:28 pm
.... Just wanted to double check with you guys that this is indeed the correct brand and type of bar keepers friend for cleaning up the Sharpmaker rods.
I’ve seen a liquid version and a different powder version, but I believe this is the correct one.
Bar Keepers Friend Powdered Cleanser & Polish
This is what I use. I just put a little on a damp scouring sponge rub it on the rods, rinse it off, and it works pretty good.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I just swear by "Bar Keeper's Friend" cleanser for cleaning all of my Spyderco stones. Now BKF has other products that also work>> one of the new powdered cleanser type products that they just recently made it available to my area made by BKF is called "Bar Keeper's Friend" Cookware Cleaner & Polish. They say on the can that this BKF cleanser has 50% more surfactant than the original BFK does.

But I've used a wide array of BKF products and they are all good IMO. The BKF cleans the ceramic stones so good that the stone has the bite and abrasive properties of a brand new Spyderco/ceramic stone does. Also BKF works great on all kinds of metal cookware and it is especially great for all kinds of stainless cookware.

BKF works more like a chemical type cleanser whereas it seems like Ajax & Comet both work with really fine abrasives. On really clogged up ceramic stones I clean them first with Ajax or Comet before using BKF on them and it does seem to help the BKF work better.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Thanks for the info guys. I never really thought about the difference but it makes sense. I have been using comet on my fine SiC stuff and it seemed to get them cutting again but I don't doubt Bar Keepers friend would be superior.

Joe
vivi

Post by vivi »

I soak my sharpmaker rods in hot water for a few minutes, then apply liquid BKF on each one as I scrub them with a green scouring pad. Works great.
:unicorn
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Holocene Extinction,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

I use the powder with water and rub it in with my fingers. It works well, but a scouring pad would be better than skin.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you're using a Scotchbrite pad it barely makes any difference what soap you use, I've used dish soap plenty of times and they get just as clean because the pad is providing the abrasion. Mr. Clean magic eraser works extremely well but the stones tend to cut them up and they wear out super fast, not what I would call cost effective vs a Scotchbrite pad that will last far longer. I would imagine a Brillo pad or SOS pad would work well too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

The liquid BKF works as well, FYI. Sounds like the powder is preferred, but if you already had the liquid or it's all you can find, it's worked fine for me. I just use my fingers to work it into the rods, and they clean up well.
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

The liquid can require pretty vigorous shaking though to get the grit to come out vs just liquid, especially if you don't use it often.

(hit quote not edit, and can't delete, so I'll just leave the intended edit here)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:02 am
If you're using a Scotchbrite pad it barely makes any difference what soap you use, I've used dish soap plenty of times and they get just as clean because the pad is providing the abrasion. Mr. Clean magic eraser works extremely well but the stones tend to cut them up and they wear out super fast, not what I would call cost effective vs a Scotchbrite pad that will last far longer. I would imagine a Brillo pad or SOS pad would work well too.
Now ol' buddy again I respectfully beg to differ with you concerning what you said about "soaps" and using them with ScotchBrite pads for cleaning sharpening stones. First of all right off the bat not all ScotchBrite pads are created equal. Those newer blue ones for instance don't clean those stones nearly as good as the older, green, coarse grade ScotchBrite pads like you get at most hardware stores and paint stores. Also I've found that even top notch soaps like liquid Dawn ( the Platinum, Overnight formula) won't dislodge those steel/metal filings like Bar Keeper's Friend does. Even Ajax & Comet don't get the stone completely free of residue and metal filings like BKF does. Now I'm a believer in ScotchBrite pads but I am very picky about which grade of them I use for stone cleaning.

Now I have had some good results soaking stones overnight in the "Platinum Dawn dish soap". and then the next morning going at them with the BKF and a coarse ScotchBrite pad. I've heard lots of testimonies about the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers but when it comes to cleaning Spyderco ceramic stones I've had much better results with the coarse, green ScotchBrite pads. Now if there are indeed industrial grade soaps that do actually remove filings like BKF does I would sure like to know which ones they are because I've tried a wide variety of soaps and have not had the results I've wanted.

Now if anyone here does know of a product that cleans those stones as good as BKF does I'm open to trying them out. I love to experiment with different products and I've had some luck with stuff like real lye and "Tri-Sodium Phosphate" (TSP). But again for "soaps" I've yet to find one that can even come close to doing what BKF does. So yes I do believe it makes a huge difference which cleaning product you use. But if you've found a commercial soap that does indeed work I would sure like to know the name of it.