Am I the only one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Am I the only one?

Post by SG89 »

That physically can't middle finger flick open a spyderco using the spydie hole? All the videos online seem like everyone flicks the knife open with ease. Not saying I want to open a spyderco this way just seems like everyone else can do it rather easily. I just open them with my thumb at a normal speed lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
murphjd25

Re: Am I the only one?

Post by murphjd25 »

You could possibly be the only one who can’t middle finger flick :p , but all kidding aside, I much prefer to slowly roll it open with my thumb as they were designed to do. Flicking my knives makes me worry about pre mature lock failures, as they were not intended to be opened with such authority, but to each his own, I can’t tell anyone what to do with there knives haha :D
Josh
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:16 pm
That physically can't middle finger flick open a spyderco using the spydie hole? All the videos online seem like everyone flicks the knife open with ease. Not saying I want to open a spyderco this way just seems like everyone else can do it rather easily. I just open them with my thumb at a normal speed lol

Works well on my Manix 2 and Para 3 - not as easy with the Native 5...

What irks me is watching the Knife Center 'preview' videos and the employee opens the Spydercos with his thumb, but in the videos, the blades appear to fly open for him and into the locked position... I can't quite wrap my mind around it, nor can I replicate it....
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Some models have to be easier than others. I flick my Militaries and my pm2 open with incredible ease.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am not normally a flicker and open it like the boring middle aged man I am is supposed to which is slowly with my thumb.

That said, I can flick most Spydies open with any of my four fingers or my thumb. When I do flick my knives the thumb flick is my preferred way. I can even thumb flick a Ladybug.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
remnar

Post by remnar »

wolfgaze wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:30 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:16 pm

Works well on my Manix 2 and Para 3 - not as easy with the Native 5...

What irks me is watching the Knife Center 'preview' videos and the employee opens the Spydercos with his thumb, but in the videos, the blades appear to fly open for him and into the locked position... I can't quite wrap my mind around it, nor can I replicate it....
I can flick them open with my thumb without any problems but, like Spydergirl, I just don't have the correct coordination for the middle finger flick.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Not typically my opening choice, but the titanium frame lock on my Military actually deploys easier with the middle finger flick for my use. There is indeed a trick to it though, it took a little practice for me to get good at it.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Neither can I. I generally don’t flick my knives any more but roll them open with my thumb.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I have no trouble flicking but I don’t see the point so I push them open with my thumb. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

*raises hand* I can thumb flick Techno, but I can't flick open any other model and can't middle finger flick open any of 'em. The regular slow thumb push open is fast enough for me. :)
(Sent from iPod)
attila

Post by attila »

The only one I usually can't middle finger flick is the Native 5. Compression lock and CBBL knives I can pinky-through-index flick with my right hand. Thumb flicking isn't as easy.

I enjoy flicking them, but don't want to due to excessive lock wear. I noticed my Para 3 lockup got later and later, and lockstick started happening, so I stopped doing that.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I only get the blade about halfway open finger flicking the Native 5, thumb flick is no problem.
The Yojimbo2, Para Military 2, and Para 3 I can flick open with just about any finger on either hand in forward or reverse grip.
After practicing with the delica trainer, I can flick a delica open almost as easy as I can the compression lock models.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Cali HogHead

Post by Cali HogHead »

Of my modest collection, the Sliverax just seems to beg to be middle finger flicked. I imagine your hand size and shape plays a large role in how you open your knives though.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:46 pm
I only get the blade about halfway open finger flicking the Native 5, thumb flick is no problem.
The Yojimbo2, Para Military 2, and Para 3 I can flick open with just about any finger on either hand in forward or reverse grip.
After practicing with the delica trainer, I can flick a delica open almost as easy as I can the compression lock models.
I've never tried thumb flicking a Native 5 but I can get it with my middle finger.

I often open my Military with a thumb flick. For my backlocks, I just thumb them open the slow old-fashioned way. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
anycal

Post by anycal »

For me, size has a lot to do with the ease of flickability.

That said, all but one of my :spyder: I can flick - Native 5. On the other hand, PM2 and Manix I can probably flick with my toes.

I too prefer normal open. More secure that way.
Peter
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I guess my kindergartener sized hands are the issue lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

If your Lil' Native or other compression lock spydercos can free fall and swing when you compress the lock, it helps. If the pivot is too tight it restricts the flick. Other than that it might just be hand/finger dexterity. Practice makes perfect!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

I used to be the same. It was just practice what was needed. I used to think it was impossible.

Can flick. = Delica, pm2, pm3, manix2 g10 and lw, manix XL, cally 3 and 3.5

Can't flick = chaparral
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:56 pm
I guess my kindergartener sized hands are the issue lol
Can't be much smaller than my hands, you just have to practice ;)

A PM2 practically looks as big as Military in my hands :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I cannot easily flick knives open because of so many sports injuries. I can thumb a knife open about as fast as people can flick them because they have to reposition their hand after the flick. I am pretty fast at opening.

I could probably practice and get better at the flicking thing, but I like the more controlled, and safer option of just opening the blade with my thumb the way it was meant to be done. A lot of people have cut themselves flicking their knives, or dropped their knives in the process.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050