How loose should a Delica 4 Pivot be?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benbot517

How loose should a Delica 4 Pivot be?

Post by benbot517 »

Hello, I recently bought a Delica 4 and am loving it. Love the shape, sharp as all get out, very nice knife. I do, however, have a question or two on it. When I press on the baclock to disengage the blade, the blade freely closes about 90 degrees (halfway closed). Should the pivot be loose enough for that to happen? I've noticed that there's no horizontal blade play when the blade is open, however when closed the blade is easily moved from side to side, not remaining centered. Does this indicate the pivot needs to be tightened? Please correct me on my terminology or ask questions, I'm new to this. :D Thanks for the help!
Daveho

Re: How loose should a Delica 4 Pivot be?

Post by Daveho »

That’s about where I like my spyderco back locks, as long as there is no play you are golden :)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Really depends on what you like, I prefer not to have side to side play so I would tighten the pivot a bit.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I suppose it's a matter of personal preference. If that were my knife, I'd tighten up that pivot until I have zero or almost zero horizontal blade play. I prefer minimal blade play to a freely swinging action. But that's just me.

You'll just have to find an acceptable balance between blade play and a free-swinging close.

BTW, welcome to the forum!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Up to you. I test for side to side play with the blade open but the lock not engaged. So one hand is holding the handle with lock bar depressed and the other hand is wiggling the blade.
If there's play I'll tighten the pivot.
Nothing wrong with testing with the blade locked open. I just don't do it that way. You'll notice less side to side play with the blade locked open.
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

In all these years of buying knives I don't think I ever checked the play when closed. I guess it's irrelevant to me. It only concerns me when open and locked if there is play.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I like my back locks to drop to 90° when I depress the lock (as yours does) but not if it's going to cause side play when the blade is locked open. I've had 5 Delicas and none of them will drop unless I back the pivot screw way out. No big deal, I just keep the pivot fairly tight and lower the blade with my index finger in the Spydie hole or on the thumb ramp.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
benbot517

Post by benbot517 »

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it!
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

I like to loosen the pivot enough to allow the blade to swing at least 70 degrees upon unlock. If there is a little side-to-side play I don't sweat it.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Benbot,

Welcome to our forum.

sal