A Tern for the Road

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
MichaelScott

A Tern for the Road

Post by MichaelScott »

A few days ago I flew to New York City to join our son for his car trip to San Francisco to take up his new position at the VA. Obviously I had to leave my Spyderco at home. So, preparing for a drive across country and having no folding knife it was obvious that I needed to do something fast. Now, being in NYC Amazon will deliver stuff, most stuff I guess, in about two hours. So the obvious move was to order an inexpensive knife for the trip. I settled on the Byrd Tern. Small, light, sharp, G10 and a wire clip. I will order it Monday. Reports to follow.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Meat man

Re: A Tern for the Road

Post by The Meat man »

I'll be looking forward to hearing how it works out! Sounds like a great way to test run a new knife. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Foiled! Amazon Prime Now, two hour delivery in NYC, has no Spydercos in stock. I remain knifeless.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

You could probably get one from the SFO, but it will cost more to have it over night to NY.

sal
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Sal,
We left Tuesday morning and are on the way to St. Louis tonight. I can have one sent by Amazon to my home in Colorado where we will stay a few days before going on to San Francisco. There I will give it to my son who will be starting his internship at the VA there. Should be a good knife for San Francisco.

I’m looking forward to trying one. Nice G10 Slipit, small. Might have to get another for myself.

Team Innovation
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

My factory edge was merely ok, but I love the thing as a loaner/rough use knife
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

As it turned out I gave my son a different knife and bought a UKPK, which arrived today.

Team Innovation
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:02 pm
As it turned out I gave my son a different knife and bought a UKPK, which arrived today.
Which steel did you end up with?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

BD1N

Team Innovation
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:12 pm
BD1N
Awesome, I sure like mine in bd1n as well.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Joseph08

Post by Joseph08 »

Do share your experience with the new pickup. I would like to hear about it.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The handle is nice, the blade is a little roughly cut and finshed - I liked mine, but then it got stolen...
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

It's been my daily EDC for quite some time now. I like it a lot.

Spring tension against closing is stronger than your usual SAK, but it still opens smoothly with one hand. Never had the slightest worry about it closing on me. For those who are worried, it has a half stop to keep it from closing on your fingers unexpectedly. Ergonomics work as is to be expected from a Spyderco design.

I reprofiled the edge to a more acute angle and it has never let me down since; cuts what I want it to cut and edge retention is fair. A couple of licks on a ceramic rod will bring the edge back when it gets dull. It is now at a point where I need to tighten the pivot, but it has taken quite some use before it developed a slight blade play. Should be fixed in no time flat when I find my second torx 9 bit. :rolleyes:

Ookami