Actual users

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anycal

Re: Actual users

Post by anycal »

All my knives are users. But, I am a PM2 lifer - I should probably get a tattoo. And even beyond that, a PM2 sized knife in general. I have used a knife of this size for the last 25 years. If I want to try a knife of a different brand, this is what I gravitate towards.

Military. What can I say. It blew my mind when I first got it. Never held anything like it before. The feel, shape, weight, its utility. Love using it. It is a looker too.

The Caly 3 is my take anywhere, any occasion kind of a knife. This category (3") tends to fluctuate the most, seasonal or with new releases. But the Caly is my favorite.

Peter
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hmmm .... something legal, and something big.

Urban & Military.

It would have to be every available type, though!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I carry/use my SB Manbug daily, honestly use it more than anything, that and my 52100 Military would do me just fine.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

My Chaparral LW has won out pocket time lately for weekdays at the office and most Sundays as well. But weekend work I still pick up my Para3 and Lil' Native.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I think the Dragonfly and Delica is a great lightweight and inexpensive combo that should cover most any pocket knife needs. You mentioned either the Delica of the Native. I would say base that choice on intended use. The Native is more stout and has a thicker blade with a thicker grind. The Delica is thinner and will perform better at most cutting tasks. I prefer the thinner stock and the Delica handle is much more comfortable to me so it’s an easy call for me.

I think the LW chaparral should be considered too.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I'd be set and happy with my Pacific, Tasman and Aqua Salt

my users are mostly the Salt series
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

A para 3 is with me daily. If I just want to carry a bigger folder its Military or Manix 2.
If i’m out camping i’ll bring my Sibert Bushcrafter or an Esee to beat on and a Native LW.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I've never owned a knife that I didn't intend to use. I will never own a "safe queen", it's just not who I am. I love my 204p Military as well as my s110v Military. PM2 in cruwear arrives today and that is currently the extent of my collection after selling some knives I didn't "need". I think all of them will see different types of use. When a cruwear Shaman or new intriguing maxamet model comes out (or something in HAP72, s125v, DLC 10v, etc etc...), I will have to make room (possiblly sell the pm2 if somehow I don't like it... But I really don't see that happening), but those models will see use as well.

My thoughts are kind of on par with HarleyXJGuy's lol.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Ladybug Hawkbill for all water and exercise
Dragonfly for my work, biz casual M-F
Delica (but could have picked Endura, PM2, Native) for weekend including chores

I used to add a 4th heavy duty like a Manix or Shaman but truthfully I now believe a small fixed is the only choice for heavy duty now for me
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

This is my current edc. Been carrying this for months. Of course the Spyderhawk is new but I carried the original H1 for years. Out of the 3 the one that gets rotated out is the yo2. The native and spyderhawk are constant in my edc. I usually carry a street beat too for a small fixed blade. Never know if I'll need to do some tougher task or food prep /steak knife. Ulize has seen a lot of pocket time lately as well. It's just such a slim folder with a larger blade and the recurve helps a lot. I wouldn't dwindle my collection /accumulation but everyone has different needs. Sometimes I just feel like carrying a different knife. I cut open a lot of boxes, rope (both natural and synthetic), nylon lifting straps and webbing, even Kevlar webbing on occasion. The native is my beater/loaner. Yo2 is general utility and the Spyderhawk is general utility /larger rope /nylon cutting task.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

I own around 40 spydies and if I really had to choose the ones I find myself actually using the most, it would be my Air, My PacSalt SE, and my Sprig. That is all I would ever need. Variety, however, is the spice of life so I love carrying different stuff daily.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Militaries, Native 5 and Dragonflies have come up frequently. I’m using smaller knives these days. I may get one more Spyderco but I am going to wait until I get to SFO this summer and handle every one of interest to me. Nothing like having a knife in hand to make a decision on it. And a visit to SFO is always a highlight of the day.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Lancerpt

Post by Lancerpt »

Chaparral FRN, Native 5 (S35), and PM2.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Chaparral LW and a Manix 2 LW. Substitute a Dragonfly for the Chap if you want. That covers you from easy to carry and highly functional EDC to more robust tasks. Even though I don't carry any of my M2LW's nearly as much as my Chap LW, a M2LW would be the last folding knife you got away from me. It is superb.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:44 am
I've never owned a knife that I didn't intend to use. I will never own a "safe queen", it's just not who I am. I love my 204p Military as well as my s110v Military. PM2 in cruwear arrives today and that is currently the extent of my collection after selling some knives I didn't "need". I think all of them will see different types of use. When a cruwear Shaman or new intriguing maxamet model comes out (or something in HAP72, s125v, DLC 10v, etc etc...), I will have to make room (possiblly sell the pm2 if somehow I don't like it... But I really don't see that happening), but those models will see use as well.

My thoughts are kind of on par with HarleyXJGuy's lol.
Yeah, my "collection" is a bunch of knives locked in a ruthless Darwinian struggle for pocket time.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Like a lot of other folks here my most carried knives are my Dragonflys and Natives. They are my favorite EDC knives and they would be my choice if I could only have 2. I whip out my PM2s and Manix for larger tasks, and my new Spyderhawk is seeing a lot of yardwork use. I've sold all of my Militaries as I haven't really had a need for a knife that big. If I still lived up north and was constantly outside in cold weather with thick gloves on a Military would be what i'd carry in that situation though.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

All my users narrowed down to play this game on this particular day?

Start with the easily-maintained PM2. What can it not do?

Avoid rust in saltwater. Conform to many carry laws.

So, I'd augment it with my SE Pacific Salt and my new K390 Urban.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

dj moonbat wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:14 am
Yeah, my "collection" is a bunch of knives locked in a ruthless Darwinian struggle for pocket time.
:D
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Jefft51

Post by Jefft51 »

I try to carry a different knife each day just so I get time using each one unless there is a specific task I know I will need one for. If I were to pick 4 they would be:
Manbug (hap40) - It's my keychain and the one I carry every day
Spyderhawk - The brush in my backyard doesn't stand a chance! My scariest looking knife too.
PM2 (red m390) - When a little knife won't do. A good one for camping
Li'l Lum (nishijin) - My "Gentleman's" knife for mixed company (knife and non knife people) Also looks cool - shiney.

Jeff
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I've already done some degree of downsizing of my collection just to move the ones that didn't see pocket time. For me, the best appreciation of a knife occurs during the act of cutting. that's when the combination of edge and ergonomics makes the task a joy to complete.

My latest spyderco, the CQI advocate, has seen a ton of use. Whether that's slicing up a mountain of cardboard or remodeling work around the house, every time I use it for a tough job it shines and I love it that much more.

Definitely hankering for a M4 DLC shaman. I'd be able to throw that at pretty much any task, anywhere.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!