Actual users

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Actual users

Post by MichaelScott »

Many of us knife aficionados have and buy knives for many and varied reasons. I am guilty of this. Many Spyderco and other brands have passed through my hands over the years. Interesting new designs, different steels, materials, uses have motivated many purchases. As well as the freakin’ cool factor. Like, you just have to get that knife because, well, its so **** cool.

I am in the difficult process of reducing my so-called collection to a few Spydercos that will be actual regular users for me and my needs. I am positive that the definition of a user knife will vary wildly depending on who the user will be and what her or his needs may be. My requirements have shrunk these days. I just don’t do the things I did when I was younger and healthier although I can’t imagine not having a couple of folders on me.

I’m interested in what knives, say two or three, you would keep if you selected them on the basis of what you actually and frequently need a knife to do, not on any collectible criteria or coolness factor.

Thinking of my needs realistically I am leaning toward a Dragonfly and either a Delica or a Lightweight Native 5. They are small, which I prefer these days, light and have excellent materials and construction.

I am interested in what my brother and sister knife nuts think about actual users.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
RickC27

Re: Actual users

Post by RickC27 »

Of my 8 Spyderco knives, I think I could easily narrow it down to 2. I'd have my Chaparral frn due to its slim, compact size. The cts-xhp steel may very well take the sharpest edge of any of my knives. (8 knives, 7 different steels) tackle any small tasks with this knife. Then I would also carry my PM2 with OD Green scales, black hardware, DLC blade with a deep carry clip...in plain ole S30V steel. This knife melts into my hand, can handle pretty much any tough task I need it for on a daily basis or when camping. It can be honed or sharpened much quicker than the other super steels, and I just flat out love the way it looks! For me, these 2 choices were a no brainer.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I really like my CPM S110V Military and I use it pretty much every day. To be brutally honesty though, it's probably bigger than what I really need. I think I would lean toward my Native 5 Maxamet for an ultra-convenient, carry-everywhere-do-anything knife. It's really lightweight, simple and strong, and I'm not afraid to use it hard. And that handle design, especially the nice-sized choil, has really grown on me...when I first bought it I wasn't too excited about the design; I bought it mainly for the Maxamet steel. But now that I've acquired and handled a few other Spydies I've come to love how solid and secure it feels in the hand, especially when choked up on the choil.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

My jeans knife, the S110V PM2. And my all-the-rest-of-the-time knife, a Dragonfly2 (which I will, for instance, clip to the waistband of my pajama pants). Plus the Chaparral or Bradley Air for when I need to wear a suit.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Here in the past 5 months or so I've been using two main Spyderco EDC folders for most of my everyday uses. The first one is truly out of the Spyderco "Golden Oldies" category>> it is a late 1990s, ATS-55 era Stainless Handled RESCUE model. My main PE EDC is my hallowed, beloved M390 Military model. Those two make one great tag-team of cutters I can assure you. Actually those are two really big folders size-wise for EDC uses>> at least that's what probably 80% of the respondents might say :rolleyes:

But with some of the demanding cutting jobs I'm usually faced with those two folders have truly been a GOD-Send and between those two there aren't many cutting jobs I'm faced with in a regular day that they can't do. Over the years since I've been on this great Forum (2004) I've had main EDC blades of every size range you can imagine. And Spyderco gives you that broad of a selection thank GOD.

And yes I have two distinct sets of knives in my overall collection. I have what I affectionately call a "User's Arsenal" and I also have quite a few of what I call "Collector Pieces". There have been times I've crossed the line and ended up using a Collector Piece. But normally I keep the two classes in their own distinct sectors. And it usually takes one helluva blade to dethrone the ones I'm currently using. They really impressed me greatly to become my main EDC.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If I chose based on most used, my "ever" answer would probably be a Military, a Manix 2, and a Ladybug or Dragonfly. My "most recent" answer would be Military, Sliverax or Autonomy.
Last edited by Evil D on Wed May 23, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

I still use knives everyday from string to mail to food. But for me, I enjoy the differences in designs and materials. I am fortunate in that I have many models to choose from, protos and production, large and small, hi line or simple, one steel or another. Vive la difference!

sal
PStone

Post by PStone »

If I narrowed it down to three they would be a military for a large folder, a native5 for a small, and something with a cool design like an ouroboros.

knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I have 24 Spydies, as well as probably 30 knives fromnother brands. Besides some of my traditional (the bulk of those 30 other knives), all of my knives are users. I have different categories of use for all of them too. If I were to pick just a few for forever it would be the SE Pacific Salt, S110v PM2, and Police 4. Now, I've also got some traditionals I wouldn't get rid of..
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'd say PM2, Native 5 carbon fiber and Lil' Native lock back. Those three do everything I could ask for.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The first knives that really pop into my head when I think of the "users" in my collection are the Salts. Chief among them the Hawkbill Dfly and the Tasman. I have a 40th Aniv. to stare at, so my S90V Fluted CF Native is very much a user. I've only used it for 2 weeks but the Pakkawood Dfly is also going to be a regular user for work. S110V Para 2, Maxamet Native, Maxamet Para 3, every delica I have is a user.... I treat all my knives like I want them to last, but really with the exception of about 4 of them, they all get used in the rotation.

If I had to pick 3 right now, HBDfly, Fluted CF Native, Maxamet Para3.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I like to say that I’m not a knife collector, I just have a collection of users. The only knife I haven’t ever used is the Kris.

This is always a tough call. I think I could get by with a Delica and the R, if we’re talking folders only. I know those two aren’t all that different but they’d both be carryable 99% of the time, and the R would provide a bit of additional length if needed.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The few I'd choose from my collection, based solely off what I need a knife for most these days, would be the Wharncliffe Delica, PE Lil native, and SE Salt I. Those three could work well for me at work, as an EDC, or around the water.

Recently picked up a Combo Edge Delica and have really started to like the combo edge. This one would probably make the cut as well!
:cool: :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I have, I dunno, I think a dozen Spyderco knives. Most of them didn't cost me very much so I mainly thin them out when I just have too many to fit in the box I store them in. I like having a 4-5 knife group that I carry depending on mood or whatever.

There's no way I'd part with my Manix 2 CE, it would probably top my user list even if I carry it rarely. The reason is it's rarely the wrong answer for actual use.

Past that it's Lil Matriarch SE and and Stretch SE that generally get the most carry lately. Technically my Positron dominates my pocket and has for about a month, but I think I carry it more for novelty than easy of use. The Stretch just destroys it for actual use.

Boker Mini Kwaiken rounds out the bunch for a stylish quiet carry if I'm for some reason dressed up.

I will probably clear out a few -- the Rescue that JD lauds is a cool vintage Spyderco, but it's also valuable and I almost never carry it, and I have a Navigator that is just too pretty to ever carry, among others -- and snag a Chapparal FRN that is my next knife.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

This is pretty easy.

If I had to choose a few knive for the rest of my life they would be as follows:

Spyderco Paramilitary 2. It just works. It’s capable in a variety of tasks and I’m not sure that I could ask more from a folding knife. It would be nice if it was offered in titanium. I’m ok with the weight difference in exchange for the wear resistance on the scales.

UKPK. An elegant design from Sal that solves the non locking knife problem but provides a capable cutting tool for those that need it. I despise nail knicks. The Spyderco opening hole on a non locking knife of this size is a fantastic gift to the knife world. It’s easy to open one handed, make a cut, close and be on your way. If I’m being ultra realistic about my knife needs this knife fits the bill and then some.

Chris Reeve Sebenza 21. I know, I know, this is a Spyderco forum. But if I’m being truly honest the CRK Sebenza 21 offers to me a certain level of confidence that I take comfort in as a user. Spyderco May make multiple titanium knives but how many of them are produced for decades at a time? If I buy a Spyderco Slyzs Bowie, I don’t know that that knife will still have parts available for it it 5 years from now because it gets discontinued. The Sebenza 21 has been produced for decades and so I know replacement parts, should I need them will be available to me. Just the fact that it is a long running model made from titanium (which doesn’t wear down over time like g10) inspires confidence with me that it’s knife I can trust and and let’s me know that if something should go wrong, I’ll be taken care of.

This thread has led me to think about Spyderco’s main line up and to the realization that there is a gap. Spyderco should start producing a titanium Golden produced knife for decades to come. Whether that is a titanium para 2 or something completely new, I don’t know. But there probably should be a staple that doesn’t go anywhere any time soon.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I don’t need the vast majority of the knives I own but they’re fun to have cause I’m a knife knut. :D

Specifically of the Spyders I own, I’d likely get by with my S30V Digi Cam Millie for everyday carry, my Sprig and Tasman HB to process fish, and my Sprig and Southfork to process game. :)

I’m also looking forward to The Waterway and hope I didn’t forget to mention my Sprig! :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I could easily get by with only my Cruwear Military. It would be nice to have my Caplifter Clipitool in my watch pocket as well. I would probably keep a Delica around as well for when I might want a smaller knife.

I have a boatload of knives and only a couple are unused and that is because they are duplicates. I am a collector of users. I like variety but don’t need it and I could get by without them all but what fun would that be?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ric

Post by Ric »

Para3 is my main EDC.
S30V, cruwear,... depends on cutting tasks ahead or mood.
Lightweight option is Dragonfly.

Lil Native seldom.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I would do Lil Native and Delica or DF2 and Native 5 LW
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Military.

Dropped mic.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.