Canadian UKPK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

Re: Canadian UKPK

Post by spyderg »

Yet they haven’t changed any law about carrying or owning a one hand opening locking knife. You just can’t import one now. Sometime last year I saw a news report for Winnipeg,(where I live) that stated something to effect of 95% off all stabbings in the city the previous year were using kitchen knives. Followed by homemade shanks and hunting knives. Pocket knives made up less than 1%.
This new interpretation of the import rules is rediculous and reasoning for it is unsubstantiated. I’ve signed the petition but without a change in government there will be no change. So if late next year our leadership changes hands, then there will be a chance to have it re-evaluated and perhaps reversed.
In the meantime I’ll enjoy the ones I’ve got, and hope to somehow be able to get my hands on the Smock when it comes out.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

Like logic means anything to authoritarians and bureaucrats, other than a threat to their power.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I am saddened to hear about this. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to suddenly not have the ability to legally enjoy something that I've spent many years enjoying.

Just a thought: I don't own a UKPK, but it appears they are linerless, similar to the Squeak/Pingo. If this is true, I would think making some custom G-10 or Micarta scales would be fairly easy to do... Any chance you could post a picture of a UKPK disassembled?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Foolish Mortal,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

spyderg wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:04 pm
Yet they haven’t changed any law about carrying or owning a one hand opening locking knife. You just can’t import one now. Sometime last year I saw a news report for Winnipeg,(where I live) that stated something to effect of 95% off all stabbings in the city the previous year were using kitchen knives. Followed by homemade shanks and hunting knives. Pocket knives made up less than 1%.
This new interpretation of the import rules is rediculous and reasoning for it is unsubstantiated. I’ve signed the petition but without a change in government there will be no change. So if late next year our leadership changes hands, then there will be a chance to have it re-evaluated and perhaps reversed.
In the meantime I’ll enjoy the ones I’ve got, and hope to somehow be able to get my hands on the Smock when it comes out.
Yup, pretty well the way I see it too. I have more than enough knives at the moment (I've been saying that 5 knives ago) so I wouldn't mind a relax from knife buying. Even though I have several Case slip joints, I suppose I could be talked into a Spyderco slippy.....
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

SpyderNut wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:58 pm
I am saddened to hear about this. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to suddenly not have the ability to legally enjoy something that I've spent many years enjoying.

Just a thought: I don't own a UKPK, but it appears they are linerless, similar to the Squeak/Pingo. If this is true, I would think making some custom G-10 or Micarta scales would be fairly easy to do... Any chance you could post a picture of a UKPK disassembled?

This is probably where I’ll end up. Cuscadi makes really nice custom scales for the UKPK.

I don’t suppose you would consider making me a custom slipjoint? Hahaha. ;)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
foofie

Post by foofie »

I have some cuscadi scales for the UKPK - they do a great job designing around the hinge points molded into the frn. Lots of other custom scale makers aren't interested in replacing frn scales for this reason.
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

sal wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:25 pm
Hi Foolish Mortal,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks, Sal. I appreciate what you and yours have done for the knife industry.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

If we do this, I want it to be huge. Like 4 ~ 4.5 inches of blade length. Not really for utility, but just because I want big honking knives streaming across the border.
stompin_boots

Post by stompin_boots »

[/quote]
You've been here a week. What do you know of LC?

But toward the end of which you speak, https://www.gofundme.com/canadian-knife-rights-law-suit
[/quote]
length of time spent on a forum doesn't negate the right to an opinion. just having friendly, productive conversation.
thanks for understanding internet friend
:) :spyder:
skeletor

Post by skeletor »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:20 pm

This is probably where I’ll end up. Cuscadi makes really nice custom scales for the UKPK.

I usually let my UKPKs mod by Cuscadi and meanwhile I have quite a few of them (CF-, Kirinite-, G10-Variations) and I can highly recommend them, the scales are top quality and fit the UKPK perfectly. Also, the UKPK is (because of its simplicity) a very well suited knife for scale-swapping. But: Scales in titanium are not available, so I´m still waiting for a Ti-UKPK Sprint Run in the future (okay, probably unlikely, so the second market ist the way to go...).
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

SF Native wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:36 am
Time for a terzoula slip it sprint?!?
I could be down for that.
I have a Terzoula slipit. GREAT knife in every way. :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

You know, the thought did cross my mind. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

Hey LC, I sent you a pm.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

SF Native wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:04 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

Hey LC, I sent you a pm.

Sorry, didn’t get it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
utor

Post by utor »

SpyderNut wrote:

definitely possible and worth the work. :) it becomes a different knife and you can adjust the closure open resistance to your liking.

highly recommended mod!
Last edited by utor on Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
pictures from the outdoors | www.utour.de
Nate

Post by Nate »

Spyderco knows their market better than I do, but it does seem a bit weird that the only g10 slipit you can buy from Spyderco nowadays is the Byrd Tern. I'd like to see the UKPK in g10 again, missed the old runs.

...any interest in an "LE" round hole "Spyderco Tern" from China in not-black g10? :confused:
:spyder:
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

The Spyderco Hoser...I like it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Spyderco Can-eh-dian?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

sal wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:02 am
The fear of flickable knives in Canada, as I understand, is based on someone's ability to conceal a knife in a closed hand, get close to a Police Officer (or other innocent) and instantly produce a deadly force that was not visible and cause harm or kill someone.

sal
You may be correct. As we know, rational considerations will conclude that the tool is merely the means, the intent and willingness to act on it is the problem. And we also know that, unless vigorously opposed, politicians will always opt for the easy and most newsworthy response to evil acts. Some sort of personal response by Canadians is needed to combat such moronic rules that accomplish little. Write, call, email, join.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation